Is Berkeley or Caltech a reasonable goal?

In summary, the individual is 26 years old and just starting college with a GED. They have a 4.0 GPA at the University of Cincinnati and are looking to transfer to a school like Berkeley in California, potentially for a physics or engineering program. They are wondering about their chances of being admitted, considering their age and lack of work experience in the field of science. The difficulty of getting into a school like Berkeley depends on the department or program, and it's recommended to apply to multiple schools to increase the chances of being accepted. UC Santa Barbara is suggested as an alternative option with a top 10 physics program and excellent facilities. The individual is also considering a Ph.D. program, which may have different requirements and opportunities than
zoiberg137
I am 26, just now starting college with a ged. one year into in with a 4.0 at university of Cincinnati. I know i have a lot of time ahead of me but I'm just trying to create a rough sketch of my future and was wondering how difficult it is to get into a school like Berkeley? To be honest I pick this one simply because of the location (wife and I plan on moving to north cali within 5 years or so...) but also I know the name and obviously am aiming for the best grad program I can get into. However, I just want to know how realistic it would be to get admitted, considering my age and that I've no work experience (in the field of science, I am a mechanic). Even if i can maintain a high gpa, are there other things I would have to do to be considered, such as research or work experience, etc??

What other schools in the California area might I want to look into?

I'm not set on a program yet, but plan on getting an undergrad in physics here in Cincinnati and am thinking about physics or engineering for grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going for a masters or phd?

It's an admirable goal but it's extremely difficult to get into to either of those. So I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't even hope for it. Research experience is a big part of it (including publications), also test scores and letters of recommendation, and then GPA. So a 4.0 doesn't guarantee you anything. Work experience is not really an issue, since most people don't work any significant jobs before grad school.

zoiberg137 said:
I know i have a lot of time ahead of me but I'm just trying to create a rough sketch of my future and was wondering how difficult it is to get into a school like Berkeley?

Depends a lot on the department and/or program.

) but also I know the name and obviously am aiming for the best grad program I can get into. However, I just want to know how realistic it would be to get admitted, considering my age and that I've no work experience (in the field of science, I am a mechanic).

I'll assume here that you are planning on a physics Ph.D.

1) It's a bad idea to focus on one or two schools for your Ph.D. Even if your application is competitive, there is a lot of randomness involved here. If you apply to six to eight universities, then the element of chance that you will get in somewhere goes down but it's a bad idea to count on a particular school.

2) Corollary to 1) is that it's unlikely that you'll be able choose where you want to live.

What other schools in the California area might I want to look into?

For physics programs look at the American Physics Society guide to graduate programs.

I'm not set on a program yet, but plan on getting an undergrad in physics here in Cincinnati and am thinking about physics or engineering for grad school.

Engineering masters programs are very different from physics Ph.D.'s. Usually in any given part of the US, there are a decent number of schools nearby that offer engineering masters and there are some reasonable online/distance education options.

You may want to consider UC Santa Barbara. I personally plan going there to get my graduate degree in Physics when the time comes. Getting into the school via transfer program is much easier than Berkeley, if you complete the reqs your are in. Berkeley can still deny you even if you do all the required course work to transfer. UCSB is top 10 in physics as well as a one of the best facilities around, so good in fact many people travel there during their own graduate course work, exposing you to many areas of the subject. It's something you may want to look into. as for the Ph.D. course work, once you are there you have a much better chance at getting into their program if you apply yourself and make the proper efforts.

Last edited:

I would say that both Berkeley and Caltech are excellent goals to have. Both universities have strong reputations in the fields of science and engineering, and attending either one would provide you with a top-notch education.

Regarding your specific situation, I would say that while it may be challenging, it is certainly not impossible for you to get into a school like Berkeley. Your age and lack of work experience may be seen as a disadvantage by some admissions committees, but your high GPA and determination to succeed can definitely work in your favor. Additionally, participating in research or gaining relevant work experience in the field of science would strengthen your application and make you a more competitive candidate.

In terms of other schools in the California area, there are many excellent options to consider. Some other top universities for science and engineering in California include Stanford, UCLA, and UC San Diego. Each of these schools has its own strengths and unique programs, so it would be worth researching and considering all of your options.

Ultimately, the most important factor in getting into a top graduate program is to have a strong academic record and a passion for your chosen field. Keep working hard and pursuing your goals, and I have no doubt that you will be successful in achieving them. Best of luck to you!

1. Is it difficult to get into Berkeley or Caltech?

Yes, both Berkeley and Caltech are highly selective schools with low acceptance rates. It is important to have a strong academic record and extracurricular involvement to increase your chances of being admitted.

2. What are the average GPA and test scores of accepted students?

The average GPA for admitted students at Berkeley is around 3.9, and at Caltech it is around 4.0. As for test scores, the average SAT score for admitted students at Berkeley is between 1400-1550, and at Caltech it is between 1530-1580.

3. Are there any specific majors or programs that are more competitive at Berkeley or Caltech?

Both Berkeley and Caltech have strong programs in various fields, so it is difficult to determine which ones are more competitive. However, engineering and computer science are popular and highly competitive majors at both schools.

4. Is it possible to transfer to Berkeley or Caltech from another college?

Yes, both Berkeley and Caltech accept transfer students. However, the acceptance rates for transfer students are even lower than for freshman applicants, so it is important to have a strong academic record and compelling reasons for wanting to transfer.

5. What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted to Berkeley or Caltech?

In addition to having a strong academic record and test scores, it is important to have a well-rounded application. This could include involvement in extracurricular activities, leadership positions, and strong letters of recommendation. It can also be beneficial to have relevant research or internship experience in your field of interest.