Strange resistor voltage curve in an RC

In summary: The 60 hertz noise might be from the DVM sampling rate, or from the AC emf itself. The large pattern you are seeing might be due to capacitor discharge, but this is unlikely as the capacitor has a rated voltage of 14 volts. It's possible that the time constant is causing the perturbations, but again this is unlikely as the capacitance should have a very short time constant. A handheld scope would be the best way to see the voltage across the resistor, as a PC display does not necessarily give accurate readings.
v0id
Hello,

My data gravely perplexes me. I've set up a simple series RC circuit with an AC emf of 14V @ 20Hz. Resistor and capacitor values are 3.9E4 ohms and 4.7E-5 farads respectively. Ideally, the voltage across the resistor should be a simple sine curve, since this is basically an RLC series circuit with L=0. However, what I'm getting off of a digital voltmeter (outputting data to the computer) is a strange but pretty series of superimposed sinusoidal curves. A general pattern can be discerned over a period of seconds, which is what confuses me. I'm thinking the large pattern is caused by premature discharging of the capacitor midway through an emf cycle, thereby causing perturbations in the resistor voltage. The time constant may also be slyly manifesting itself, although I've received considerable opposition to this idea. Please try to destroy the interpretations put forth here.

I can't seem to upload my graph bcoz it exceeds the upload size limit.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you might have 60 hertz noise superimposed on your readings. I realize this may be out of your budget, but a digital meter dumping data to a PC is no substitute for a scope. Many real-time scopes (non-storage) are coming down in price. You can also reasonably buy handheld scopes with LDC displays. Like I said, it may be out of your budget. As far as the cap discharging midway though the cycle, unless you are exceeding the voltage rating of the cap there is no reason for this to happen. I also wonder why you need to dump the data to the computer unless you are slowly sweeping the frequency. You will get ONE voltage across the components as long as the input voltage and frequency do not change.

Ps

A digital voltmeter samples the waveform at whatever it's own rate is , which maybe anything , it is almost certainly not synchronous to your waveform , and so the samples will gradually cycle through your waveform and repeat(or nearly so ) at some
other rate which is close to common.
As the last contributor mentioned a scope is the only way to see this -- unless you create your own sampler using the computer ports and a software program to simulate a scope .. I have done this using Turbo basic for signals of 10's of KHz but it is rather tricky. There maybe available software to do this.
If I have your units correct you are using a 47 micro farad capacitor
which maybe an electrolytic -- if so the value of capacitance is dependant upon the DC bias and it should not be subjected to voltage reversal as at the very least will change the value observed.
Ray

Last edited:
Wow, i forgot to account for that possibility. I hooked up the circuit to a dual channel oscilloscope right after Averagesupernova suggested the digitial voltmeter itself might be the case, and sure enough, it was. The oscilloscope gave perfect EMF vs. Resistor Voltage sine curves, altho the phase shift was barely noticeable (as it should have been). I guess the digital/computer equipment lost this battle! :smile:

Thanks a lot for the replies.

So basically you were attempting to sample a 20 hertz sine wave with a Fluke DVM. Hmmmm.

1. What causes the strange voltage curve in an RC circuit?

The strange voltage curve in an RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit is caused by the charging and discharging of the capacitor. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases, causing a decrease in the voltage across the resistor. This results in a gradual decrease in the overall voltage until the capacitor is fully charged. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage across the resistor returns to its initial value.

2. Why does the voltage across the resistor decrease as the capacitor charges?

The voltage across the resistor decreases as the capacitor charges because the capacitor acts as an open circuit at low frequencies. This means that initially, all of the applied voltage is dropped across the capacitor, leaving no voltage across the resistor. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases and the voltage across the resistor decreases accordingly.

3. How does the value of the resistor affect the voltage curve in an RC circuit?

The value of the resistor affects the voltage curve in an RC circuit by determining the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A larger resistor will result in a slower charging and discharging time, resulting in a more gradual voltage curve. Conversely, a smaller resistor will result in a faster charging and discharging time, resulting in a steeper voltage curve.

4. What happens to the voltage curve if the capacitor or resistor values are changed?

If the capacitor or resistor values are changed, the voltage curve in an RC circuit will be affected. Changing the capacitor value will alter the rate of charging and discharging, resulting in a different shaped voltage curve. Changing the resistor value will also affect the rate of charging and discharging, resulting in a different slope of the voltage curve.

5. Can the strange voltage curve in an RC circuit be used for any practical applications?

Yes, the strange voltage curve in an RC circuit can be used for practical applications. For example, it can be used in filtering circuits to selectively pass certain frequencies while attenuating others. It can also be used in timing circuits, where the voltage curve can be used to trigger certain events at specific times. Furthermore, the voltage curve in an RC circuit can also be used to measure the capacitance of a capacitor.