PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope ?

In summary: Windows) or SynthMaker (Windows).In summary, the conversation is about finding a computer program that allows the user to create musical notes of any frequency, combine them, and view the resulting sound on an oscilloscope. The programs mentioned as potential options include Logic Pro 7, MOTU's DP4, Cubase, and Pro Tools, with SynthEdit and SynthMaker as possible free options.
smithpa9
PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope ?

I'm studying a bit about acoustics and music by reading books on these topics. But without being able to hear the sounds, and see how they combine on an oscilloscope, it's hard to really learn the material.

I would like to find a computer program that would allow me to create musical notes of any frequency I want (not just those of a standard, equal temperment piano keyboard), combine them, and also see how the resultant sound would appear on a oscilloscope.

Anyone know of any program I could get that does those things?

thanks,
Paul

Computer science news on Phys.org
If what I have seen is right. Logic Pro 7 has a new feature called sculpture that allows you to make your own sounds. They have a nice recreation of glass on there. Sadly it retails at $999 or an education discount gives you half off. Also it is Mac only. I'm sure one of the other DAW packages has that though. You might check out MOTU's DP4 or a higher up version of Cubase. Pro Tools is strictly recording from what I've used but I have not used PT in years.

If you are looking for free programs I doubt you will find any.

Google for SynthEdit

1. What is a PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope?

A PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope is a software program that generates and manipulates audio signals to create different sounds, and also displays the amplitude and frequency of the sound waves on a visual display called an oscilloscope.

2. How does a PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope work?

The sound synthesizer uses digital signal processing techniques to generate and manipulate sound waves, while the oscilloscope displays the waveform of the sound. The two work together to create and visualize different sounds.

3. What are the main components of a PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope?

The main components include the sound generator, sound editor, sound effects, and the oscilloscope display. Some synthesizers may also have additional features such as filters, modulators, and sequencers.

4. What are some common uses of a PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope?

A PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope are often used in music production and sound design, as well as in educational and scientific settings for studying and analyzing sound waves. They are also commonly used by hobbyists and musicians for creating and manipulating unique sounds.

5. Are there any limitations to using a PC sound synthesizer and oscilloscope?

While PC sound synthesizers and oscilloscopes offer a wide range of capabilities, they may have limitations in terms of sound quality and processing power compared to dedicated hardware synthesizers and oscilloscopes. They also require a computer to function, so they may not be as portable as standalone devices.