Electric Field Magnitude b/w Capacitor Plates

In summary, the magnitude of the electric field between the plates of a capacitor is independent of the distance between the plates, as long as the plates are considered to be an infinite plane. This is because the E-field geometry remains perpendicular to the plate, regardless of how far away from the plate you go.
ComptonFett
Electric field magnitude between capacitor plates independent of distance? [SOLVED]

The electric field of a point charge Q is defined as

[itex]E=\frac{F}{q}=\frac{\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\frac{Qq}{r^{2}}}{q}=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\frac{Q}{r^{2}}[/itex]

where q is the test charge. The magnitude of an electric field is therefore inversely proportional to the distance (squared) from the point charge.

However, my physics textbook declares that the magnitude of an electric field between the plates of a capacitor is independent of the range between the plates. Specifically,

[itex]E=\frac{Q}{\varepsilon _{0}A}[/itex]

where A is the surface are of the plates and Q is the charge of each plate. Distance is not part of the equation.

This appears very counterintuitive to me. The plates are charged with a large number of point charges and to me it would make sense that the magnitude of the electric field between the plates would be inversely proportional to their distance.

Obviously I'm missing something but what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It assumes that it is an INFINITE PLATE, and that the edges are not in play. In that case, the E-field has no dependence on the distance from the plate. The E-field geometry remains perpendicular the the plate no matter how far away you go.

Zz.

Thanks, you instantly turned counterintuitive to intuitive.

It's a shame that neither of my high school physics series mentioned that the formulas are based on an infinite plane. I guess that's obvious to most readers but to some (sigh) it isn't.

1. What is the electric field magnitude between capacitor plates?

The electric field magnitude between capacitor plates is determined by the voltage difference between the plates and the distance between them. It is calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field magnitude, V is the voltage difference, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. How does the distance between capacitor plates affect the electric field magnitude?

The electric field magnitude is inversely proportional to the distance between the capacitor plates. This means that as the distance between the plates decreases, the electric field magnitude increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between electric field magnitude and capacitor voltage?

The electric field magnitude is directly proportional to the voltage difference between the capacitor plates. This means that as the voltage increases, the electric field magnitude also increases.

4. How does the shape of the capacitor plates affect the electric field magnitude?

The shape of the capacitor plates does not affect the electric field magnitude, as long as the distance between the plates and the voltage difference remains the same. However, different shapes may affect the capacitance and the ability to store charge.

5. Can the electric field magnitude between capacitor plates be negative?

Yes, the electric field magnitude can be negative if the voltage difference between the plates is negative. This means that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction to the positive charge on the plate.