Graphene How it contradicts 2D models and how can it remain stable.

In summary, a student is writing a dissertation on Graphene and its stability, which goes against the established theory that 2D materials cannot exist independently. The main focus of the research is on possible lattice distortions that could stabilize the 2D structure while maintaining the relativistic spectrum. The student is asking for recommendations on helpful resources and is also open to discussing any ideas or theories in this area. Additionally, there is mention of the Wagner Mermin theorem, which does not state that 2D materials are not stable, but rather that they cannot have long-range order. It is suggested to read the article on this theorem, as fluctuations can lead to a loss of periodicity over long distances, but this does not significantly affect the electronic
phjw
Hi guys,

I am currently writing my dissertation on Graphene and I am investigateing how graphene remains stable, contradicting existing well established theory which states 2D materials cannot exist independently.
With the main area of investigation looking at possible lattice distortions which potentially stabilise the 2D structure whilst keeping the relativistic spectrum.

If anyone has come across any useful books, journals or reports that they think would be useful please could you send me a link/title.

Or If you have a good understanding of this area and would be willing to discuss some ideas or theory's that would be fantastic.

Looking forward to hearing from you Ozzie.

Physics news on Phys.org
phjw said:
Hi guys,

I am currently writing my dissertation on Graphene and I am investigateing how graphene remains stable, contradicting existing well established theory which states 2D materials cannot exist independently.

Do you mean the Wagner Mermin theorem? Maybe you should read their articel first: It does not say that 2d materials are not stable but that they cannot have long range order. Apparently Graphene does not contradict this theorem as fluctuations in deed lead to a loss of periodicity over long distances. However, this has little influence on the electronic spectrum as this depends more on the local structure.

1. What is graphene and how does it contradict 2D models?

Graphene is a two-dimensional material consisting of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It contradicts 2D models because it has a thickness of one atom, whereas traditional 2D materials have a thickness of several atoms. This unique structure gives graphene different physical and chemical properties compared to other 2D materials.

2. Why is graphene able to remain stable despite its contradiction to 2D models?

Graphene remains stable due to its strong covalent bonds between carbon atoms. These bonds are responsible for its high mechanical strength and stability, even at the atomic scale. Additionally, the flat hexagonal structure of graphene allows for efficient distribution of stress, making it resistant to structural changes.

3. How does the unique structure of graphene affect its electrical properties?

The unique structure of graphene allows for the movement of electrons at high speeds without encountering resistance. This makes graphene an excellent conductor of electricity, with the ability to carry up to 1,000 times more current than copper. Its two-dimensional nature also results in high electron mobility, making it ideal for use in electronic devices.

4. Can graphene be used to create stronger and lighter materials?

Yes, graphene has the potential to revolutionize material science due to its exceptional strength and light weight. It is 200 times stronger than steel, yet six times lighter. This makes it an ideal candidate for use in building materials, sports equipment, and even body armor.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations to using graphene?

One challenge with graphene is its production and scalability. Currently, it is challenging and expensive to produce large quantities of high-quality graphene. Additionally, its two-dimensional nature makes it challenging to handle and integrate into existing materials and devices. However, researchers are continuously working on developing more efficient and cost-effective methods for producing and utilizing graphene.