Understanding the Damaged Back of an Old Record/TV Console

• Thread starter 3sisters28
  • Start date
In summary: If all of these measures fail, then the tube may be going bad. There are many tubes that will work for many years with little problem. In summary, if there is a hissing sound coming from the back of the TV and the seal is not broken, it is probably air leaking in. If the sound persists, it may be an issue with the tube.
3sisters28
First you will have to forgive me for being uneducated in this area.

I have an old record/tv console I bought with plans of upgrading it with a flat screen tv.
When I brought it in my house the back of the tv was damaged and the piece of the tube tv was exposed. None of the glass was broken but it is like the seal was broken. And now it is making kind of a hissin noise inside of the tv. I am not sure what happened. Are there any gases coming out of it that are toxic? The spot that was damaged looks like the bottom of a light bulb where it meets the metal threaded part. So if you pull a light bulb out of something that it is screwed to tight into and you only get the glass part out that is basically what happened with the back of the tv. What should I do. Anything toxic leaking or am I being too worried?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inside the tube there is a vacuum in other words the air has been removed.If the seal is broken the hissing sound you hear will be air leaking in rather than gases leaking out.If the glass has been weakened there is a small chance of implosion but this reduces as more air leaks in.The air flow and hissing sound should stop when the pressure inside and outside the tube equalise.

Thank you so much. I feel like such a dork but was just not sure what was going on. I feel a lot better. Thanks so much.

The Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) operates with a vacuum inside. This is because electrons flow from the cathode, located in the rear where the glass/metal interface is and the anode, the viewing surface. Now, if your glass/metal interface is broken it may be leaking, just as Dadface said above. The volume of the CRT is not so large, and if air has leaked into it it will cease to display a picture.

If you continue to hear a hissing it may be arcing of High Voltage. You will see a large rubber-insulated wire connected to the CRT near the front face. This wire carries around 15,000 volts (15KV) to the anode from the High Voltage Power Supply. You can check for arcing by listening along this wire with a cardboard tube against your ear. Often this is caused by a loose connection. DO NOT TOUCH that wire! If you can localize the source of the hissing sound, turn the set off and wait. The HV circuit usually has a "bleeder" resistor which bleeds off the HV. Do NOT trust this, however. After ~10 minutes you should use a long probe, grounded at one end, to touch the HV connector to discharge it before touching.

I completely understand your concern about the damaged back of your old record/TV console. It is possible that the seal of the tube TV was broken during transportation or handling, which could result in a hissing noise and potential exposure to gases. However, it is important to note that the gases used in old tube TVs are not toxic and are no longer used in modern TVs.

In terms of safety, it would be best to avoid prolonged exposure to the damaged area and seek professional help to properly dispose of the TV. Additionally, it is important to properly handle and dispose of old electronics to avoid any potential harm to yourself and the environment.

I would also recommend looking into upgrading your console with a flat screen TV, as it would eliminate the need for a tube TV and reduce any potential risks associated with it. Overall, it is always better to err on the side of caution and seek professional help when dealing with damaged electronic devices.

What causes damage to the back of an old record/TV console?

The most common causes of damage to the back of an old record/TV console are moisture, heat, and physical impacts. These can lead to warping, cracks, and other forms of structural damage.

Can the damage to the back of an old record/TV console be repaired?

In most cases, yes. Depending on the extent of the damage, it may be possible to repair or reinforce the damaged areas to restore the structural integrity of the console.

How can I prevent further damage to the back of an old record/TV console?

The best way to prevent further damage is to keep the console in a cool, dry area away from direct sunlight. Additionally, avoid placing heavy objects on top of the console and handle it with care when moving it.

Are there any DIY methods for repairing the back of an old record/TV console?

While there are some DIY methods for repairing minor damage, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional for more extensive repairs. Attempting to repair the console yourself may cause further damage.

Is it worth repairing the back of an old record/TV console?

This ultimately depends on the value and sentimental importance of the console. If it holds significant value or sentimental value, then repairing it may be worth the cost. However, if it is a common or inexpensive piece, it may be more cost-effective to replace it.