Finding Equation to Describe Graph of Perceived vs Real Angles

• Thread starter PatternSeeker
  • Start date
In summary, the graph shows that as errors in perceived angles of stimuli increase, the difference between perceived and real angles increases as well. The maximum difference occurs at a specific physical angle, which can be determined using differential calculus.
PatternSeeker
I show a graph where errors in perceived angles of stimuli increase with the underestimation of lengths of stimuli. I want to find an equation that will describe when maximum error should occur. Specific questions are below. Please see the attached graph. I will be happy with any suggestions that will help me figure this out.

GRAPH DESCRIPTION
It shows a difference between perceived and real angles between edges of certain stimuli (Y-axis) as a function of real angles of stimuli (X-axis).
Separate lines are for different % errors in the perceived lengths of these stimuli. Negative values (-10 to -80 %) stand for % underestimation of lengths.

As you can see difference between perceived and real angles increases with % error in estimation of lengths.

MY QUESTIONS:
Do you have any suggestions about how to generate an equation that will describe this graph? How can I show, using an equation, where the maximum error in perceived angles should occur? That is at what angle (x-axis) would I observe the largest difference between perceived and real angles (y-axis)? Also, how can I show what is the maximum difference between perceived and real angles for specific % errors in perceived lengths?

I hope I am in the right forum :)

Attachments

• OverestimationOfAngles01.jpg
    OverestimationOfAngles01.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is an exact answer to your question, but there likely is an acceptable one. If I understand your graph correctly, what you have here is data from a function of two variables, the real angle and the % deviation. You would like to approximate this data with a smooth function that interpolates the data and "fits well". You could then use this function to answer both of your questions, at least approximately.

I don't know your mathematical background, but what I would suggest is you look at bivariate interpolation. Your data looks pretty smooth and could probably be approximated well with a either bivariate quadratic or cubic splines. I just checked my version of Maple and it only has built in procedures for one dimensional splines. Too bad because perhaps I could have run your data for you.

Hi LC Kurtz,

Thank you for your kind email. This is not exactly what I was looking for though. What I'm after exactly is finding a formula that will tell me where the maximum change between reported and physical angles should occur as a function of (1) % error in reported lengths and (2) physical angle of stimuli.

The graph is based on hypothetical data. Here, the change between reported (perceived/estimated) and physical (i.e., real) angles varies as a function of (1) physical angles, (2) % error in reported lengths of stimuli. For example, as % error increases, the change between reported and physical angles also increases. The greatest change may occur at a specific physical angle. In one of my other threads, I gave a specific example of stimuli involved. Let me know if that would be helpful.
Now, I generated the graph, but it would like to find a formula where I can quickly show if maximum change should occur at a specific physical angle (e.g., 20 deg) given specific % error (e.g., 80 %).

If you had a suggestion regarding relevant methods in math, that would be be useful for me too. I was thinking of using differential calculus to find maximum errors/changes. I took undergraduate calculus a few years ago, that's about it, but I'm a quick study. :)

Thanks jedishrfu.
That does look interesting. I will take a look at this & see if I could use it.

1. What is the purpose of finding the equation to describe the graph of perceived vs real angles?

The purpose of finding the equation is to understand the relationship between perceived angles and real angles, and to be able to accurately measure and interpret angles in various situations.

2. How is the equation for perceived vs real angles determined?

The equation is determined through mathematical analysis and experimental data. Scientists may conduct experiments to collect data on perceived and real angles and then use mathematical methods to find the equation that best describes the relationship between the two variables.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the equation for perceived vs real angles?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the equation include human error, experimental limitations, and variations in perception among individuals. It is important for scientists to carefully design experiments and consider potential sources of error in order to obtain a more accurate equation.

4. Can the equation for perceived vs real angles be applied to all situations?

No, the equation may only be applicable to the specific situation in which it was derived. Factors such as lighting, distance, and the objects being measured may affect the accuracy of the equation in different situations. It is important to validate the equation in various scenarios before applying it.

5. What are the potential applications of the equation for perceived vs real angles?

The equation can be applied in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and psychology. It can help in accurately measuring angles in construction projects, designing optical illusions, and understanding how our brains perceive visual stimuli. The equation can also be used in educational settings to teach about perception and geometry.