Solving a differential equation using Picard's iteration method

In summary, we use Picard's iteration method to solve the initial value problem y' = t + y, y(0) = 0 by setting up the problem and determining the limit function \phi_{n}(t). We can also evaluate \phi_{3}(t) at different values of t. The series for e^t can be used to solve the differential equation, but it results in a different solution than the one obtained through the iteration method.
stripes

Homework Statement

Use Picard's iteration method to solve the initial value problem y' = t + y, y(0) = 0. Determine [itex]\phi_{n}(t)[/itex] for an arbitrary value of n, and take the limit as n goes to infinity. Of course, you know the series for e^t, so you will recognize the limit function [itex]\phi_{n}(t)[/itex]. Also evaluate [itex]\phi_{3}(t) [/itex] at t=0, 0.1, and 0.2.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem by letting [itex]\phi_{n+1}(t) = \int^{0}_{t}f(s, \phi_{n}(s))ds[/itex]

What I get is [itex]\phi_{0}(t) = 0[/itex], [itex]\phi_{1}(t) = \frac{t^{2}}{2}[/itex], [itex]\phi_{2}(t) = \frac{t^{2}}{2} + \frac{t^{3}}{6}[/itex], [itex]\phi_{3}(t) = \frac{t^{2}}{2} + \frac{t^{3}}{6} + \frac{t^{4}}{24}[/itex]. So clearly,

[itex]\phi_{n}(t) = \frac{t^{2}}{2!} + \frac{t^{3}}{3!} + \frac{t^{4}}{4!} + ... + \frac{t^{n}}{n!} = e^{t} - e -1[/itex].

But I know that the differential equation y' = t + y has the unique solution [itex]y = \frac{-te^{-t} - e^{-t} +1}{e^{-t}}[/itex]:

Rewrite the de as follows:
[itex]y' + (-1)y = t[/itex]
[itex]\mu(t) = e^{\int(-1)dt} = e^{-t}[/itex]
[itex]e^{-t}y' + e^{-t}(-1)y = e^{-t}t[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[ye^{-t}] = e^{-t}t[/itex]
[itex]ye^{-t} = -te^{-t} + \int e^{-t} = -te^{-t} - e^{-t}[/itex]
[itex]y =\frac{-te^{-t} - e^{-t} + C}{e^{-t}}[/itex]

And we can solve for C easily...but i'll save you that and tell you C = 1 (I think)

These two are not equal...

I'm really confused...as for the evaluation part, I can do that once I've solved the DE.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Series for et is
[tex]e^t =1+t+\frac{t^2}{2}+\frac{t^3}{6}+\frac{t^4}{24}+...[/tex]
So your series is
[itex]e^t - 1 - t[/itex]

Thats the same thing as your second solution.

So [itex]y = \frac{-te^{-t} - e^{-t} +1}{e^{-t}} = e^{t} - e -1[/itex]?

stripes said:
So [itex]y = \frac{-te^{-t} - e^{-t} +1}{e^{-t}} = e^{t} - e -1[/itex]?

No, where do you keep getting this -e from?

[itex]y = \frac{-te^{-t} - e^{-t} +1}{e^{-t}} = e^{t} - t -1[/itex]

Right. I kept thinking e^1. But it's t^1. Thank you.

1. What is Picard's iteration method?

Picard's iteration method is a numerical technique used to solve initial value problems for ordinary differential equations. It involves approximating the solution of a differential equation by repeatedly iterating a function.

2. How does Picard's iteration method work?

The method starts with an initial guess for the solution and then iteratively improves it by plugging the guess into the differential equation and solving for the next approximation. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using Picard's iteration method?

Picard's iteration method is simple and easy to implement, making it a popular choice for solving differential equations numerically. It is also very versatile and can be applied to a wide range of differential equations.

4. Are there any limitations to Picard's iteration method?

One limitation of the method is that it may not converge for all initial guesses, leading to inaccurate solutions. It also requires a significant number of iterations to achieve high levels of accuracy.

5. How can I check the accuracy of the solution obtained using Picard's iteration method?

The accuracy of the solution can be checked by comparing the results obtained from different initial guesses or by using a known analytical solution, if available. Additionally, the number of iterations required for convergence can also be used as an indicator of the accuracy of the solution.