How to Produce Solid Ge and Ga from Ga2O3 and GeO2 Using Eh-pH Diagrams

• Thread starter lohanlotter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the goal is to produce solid Ge and Ga from a mixture of Ga2O3 and GeO2 using a Ge-H20 and Ga-H20 system. The method involves using electrolysis to reduce the ions in the solution to their solid form. This eliminates the need for an anodic reaction and provides a simple solution for obtaining both substances in solid state.
lohanlotter
I am working with a Ge-H20 and Ga-H20 system. I am given a mixture of Ga2O3 and GeO2. I have to produce solid Ge and solid Ga.

From the diagrams i understande how the reactions work to get the substances into ionic form, but from the ionic form to solid state is where I am having problems. The 2 water stability lines are above the final point on the diagram where i need to end up for the solid states so there will be no supporting anodic reaction when moving from the ionic state to solid state.

I don't know how to justify moving from the ionic state to the solid state. I was thinking of adding an external voltage so that the reaction can occur, the anodic reaction will the be the H20/O2 reaction. but I am not sure if this is correnct

Engineering news on Phys.org
. Can anyone help me out? You could try using a reduction method, such as electrolysis. This method involves passing an electric current through the ionic solution containing the Ga2O3 and GeO2. The current will cause the ions to reduce to the desired solid form. This is a relatively simple process and can be used to produce both Ga and Ge in solid form.

What is an Eh-Ph diagram?

An Eh-Ph diagram, also known as a Pourbaix diagram, is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic stability of a chemical species in a given solution, as a function of both the solution's pH and its redox potential (Eh).

How is an Eh-Ph diagram used in scientific research?

Eh-Ph diagrams are commonly used in electrochemistry and corrosion studies to determine the conditions under which a particular chemical species will exist in a stable or metastable state. They can also be used to predict the formation of different phases and compounds in a given system.

What factors influence the shape of an Eh-Ph diagram?

The shape of an Eh-Ph diagram is influenced by several factors, including the chemical composition of the solution, temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution. Additionally, the stability of a species can also be affected by the concentration of other species in the solution.

How are Eh-Ph diagrams constructed?

Eh-Ph diagrams are constructed by plotting the thermodynamic potentials of different chemical species at various pH and Eh values. These potentials are calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentration of the species, temperature, and the standard electrode potential.

What are the limitations of Eh-Ph diagrams?

Eh-Ph diagrams are based on thermodynamic calculations and do not take into account kinetic factors, such as reaction rates and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, the diagrams are only applicable to aqueous solutions and may not accurately represent the behavior of species in non-aqueous environments.