Old Thread Continued but, good topic

In summary, the conversation focused on the topic of aging and how individuals have different perspectives on it. Some members expressed that they enjoy getting older and becoming more comfortable with themselves, while others joked about the challenges that come with aging such as hearing and vision loss. Overall, the consensus was that attitude plays a big role in how one views aging and embracing it with a positive mindset can lead to a fulfilling and enjoyable life.
Werdatothewise
Kerrie said:
at least we have members here appreciating their youth:wink:

seriously, i think if continue to learn and understand, "getting older" is not much of a concern...

I came across this "older" thread, (question was..."How old are you all?" ...) I am bringing it back up new, because it is worth the answer of a few of us older people here.

As for me, getting older is FANTASTIC! I have gone further into the void of the geek fold, and enjoying who I really am. I do know what it is like to be comfortable in who one is. I ditched (10+ years ago) the mental "image" of what is seen in the media, and now have been transforming myself into myself as "what is comfortable" must be who I am. Does this make sense to you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Werdatothewise said:
I came across this "older" thread, (question was..."How old are you all?" ...) I am bringing it back up new, because it is worth the answer of a few of us older people here.

As for me, getting older is FANTASTIC! I have gone further into the void of the geek fold, and enjoying who I really am. I do know what it is like to be comfortable in who one is. I ditched (10+ years ago) the mental "image" of what is seen in the media, and now have been transforming myself into myself as "what is comfortable" must be who I am. Does this make sense to you?

Exactly.

I would never change my life. I love it as it is. Getting older makes no difference.

Being old sucks. You just wait til you can't see more than 2 foot in front of ya!

Andy said:
Being old sucks. You just wait til you can't see more than 2 foot in front of ya!

I'm already going deaf, and I still enjoy life very much.

Note: I had a tumor in my ear and the rest is self-evident.

Andy said:
:cry: I'm old. :cry: And I was going to pick you! :cry: :cry: I can still see more than two feet (with the aid of these special vision goggles), but what? what did you say? darn batteries in this hearing aid keep dying. :grumpy:

Evo said:
darn batteries in this hearing aid keep dying. :grumpy:

They last for like two weeks. What are you talking about? :confused:

When you get older, the car magically gets slower. This a mystery still yet to be solved.

Evo said:
:cry: I'm old. :cry: And I was going to pick you! :cry: :cry: I can still see more than two feet (with the aid of these special vision goggles), but what? what did you say? darn batteries in this hearing aid keep dying. :grumpy:

Aw, you can't be that old...us being twins and all that! Actually, since Tsu, MIH, you and I are all twins, I think we have to average our ages or something...I'm not sure I come out that well in the deal, but I think it's still a reasonable age we'd come up with if we did that.

Aging doesn't bother me at all. I plan to feel young forever! Unlike my mom, who I can't remember ever being young...meaning all my life she's complained about getting old, even when she was the age I am now! It's like she's always wanted to be old and decrepit complaining about every ache and pain, counting gray hairs, etc. I just can't be like that. My only symptom of aging is I find myself exclaiming more often things like, "Those kids nowadays!" to refer to people in late teens and early 20s. :grumpy: Otherwise, there's a lot of freedom that comes with it once you're past those stages where you either have to "belong" or think you know everything when you don't, or start realizing you don't know everything, but haven't learned how to admit it yet. Acquiring the ability to laugh off insults is good too. There may be some inconveniences, like starting to need reading glasses or hearing aids (not there yet), and your body making more noises than it used to when getting out of bed, but overall, they are just inconveniences. Besides, I somewhat fancy the idea of being the crazy lady with the long gray hair someday! Somehow it sounds liberating.

Anyway, there's no point complaining about it or fighting it, aging is inevitable, so it's all about attitude.

JasonRox said:
When you get older, the car magically gets slower. This a mystery still yet to be solved.
I know all about "blue hairs" thinking they are going 60 mph when they're only going 30 mph. My children get tired of me explaining how as you get older things speed up, which is why these old people going 30 mph in a 70 mph zone think they are driving fast. :bugeye:

Evo said:
I know all about "blue hairs" thinking they are going 60 mph when they're only going 30 mph. My children get tired of me explaining how as you get older things speed up, which is why these old people going 30 mph in a 70 mph zone think they are driving fast. :bugeye:

I refuse to slow down as I get older! Then again, I never thought my grandmother would either (she was quite a lead foot well into her "blue hair" days...actually, she made fun of the blue-haired women as she prided herself in being a "platinum blonde"...uh huh...that's code for white hair by the way)...she eventually slowed down, but not until her late 80s. But she started out faster than most (I always see little red sports cars as "granny cars"...LOL!)

Moonbear said:
Aw, you can't be that old...us being twins and all that! Actually, since Tsu, MIH, you and I are all twins, I think we have to average our ages or something...I'm not sure I come out that well in the deal, but I think it's still a reasonable age we'd come up with if we did that.

Aging doesn't bother me at all. I plan to feel young forever!
Yep, my daughter and her friends consider me to be one of them. Moonbear, you and MIH are the youngest of "the twins". :biggrin: But wisdom doesn't always come with age!

It really does come down to how old you feel.

Moonbear said:
I refuse to slow down as I get older! Then again, I never thought my grandmother would either (she was quite a lead foot well into her "blue hair" days...actually, she made fun of the blue-haired women as she prided herself in being a "platinum blonde"...uh huh...that's code for white hair by the way)...she eventually slowed down, but not until her late 80s. But she started out faster than most (I always see little red sports cars as "granny cars"...LOL!)
Yep, attitude is everything! :approve:

I gave in and bought reading glasses off the shelf at the drugstore last week. Still don't need 'em for anything other than reading from a printed paper page, though.

Another sign of being old is that I bought the Hee Haw DVD at Wal-Mart. Just finished watching it and laughing out loud. I can so relate to Junior Samples.

Janitor said:
Another sign of being old is that I bought the Hee Haw DVD at Wal-Mart. Just finished watching it and laughing out loud. I can so relate to Junior Samples.
Oh, dear!1 :eek:

Oh, poo. It doesn't matter how old we are. As long as we're having fun... :biggrin: So what if I'm 51. I have fun like a... what?... 10 year old? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hey! I LIKE playing hopscotch! (and jacks, and jumprope...)

p.s.
I said, EVO!11 IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW OLD WE ARE. AS LONG AS WE'RE HAVING FUN!11
RIGHT?

Evo said:
Yep, attitude is everything! :approve:

Yep, agree with you, Evo-darlin'

My attitude is what got me where I am today. I have the greatest memories to take with me on my trip to old lady land. I am sure I will grave in pleasure as I remember all the things I did (YIKES) as the years have passed. Thus far, I can't remember a year that has gone by that I haven't accomplished something for laughter and a great memory that goes in the bookcase in my head.

One of the most important things I say, (which I can, 'cause I am a hoot-tooting psy·chol·o·gist) is to plant memories as you grow your youth years. And last, remember the art of conversation.

"Knowing when to say the right things at the right moment, and knowing what not to say at the wrong moment." (Author - unknown)

~Werdas'

Was she short, and from Pasadena?

Hurkyl said:
Was she short, and from Pasadena?

LOL! Not from Pasadena, but she was short...even shorter than me, and I'm definitely short! :rofl:

She cried the wimper of a willow tree with tears streaking all over her skin, ...

I had a granny directly in my lane on the fast Houston loop this AM. She, was driving along with her husband sitting on the passager side in their NEW shiny bright 2005 vehicle. Speed limit was around umm...65, and Granny wasn't about to weaken those new shiny wheels and rims, so she took me on a 45 mile drive at her convenient speed of 35 all the way. The lanes, 5 coming, 5 going, commuter and bus lanes were loaded, so alas, driving a big E-150 HUGE van, it was impossible for me to merge to another lane.

It was a very good morning. I had to chuckle as EVERY car that was able to merge to the lane closest, or hit the side to pass on the right of me gave me a bird!

Was a glorious morning! My exit was coming up in a few more ramps. I was thinking about how Mr. and Mrs. Granny could have been enjoying the scenery along the way.

Well, my turn was coming to veer to the right lane off the expressway, and Mr. and Mrs. Granny took the same right turn. OYE VAY! A chuckling gaggled out of my throat. I had taken notice they were blinkering to turning right, and I was going over the over pass, turning left. We both stopped at the same stop sign, and I gave her a wave. We are both at the stop sign at this time, and she motioned me to roll down my window. As I did so, she ask me where "a particular" hospital was, because seated behind her was her deceased husband. She had no rush. Tearing rolling down her face, (she must of been in her late 80's) she told me later at the hospital (I volunteered to have her follow me) that she had been married over 60 years. And she didn't want to let him go. I sat with her for four more hours, until the hospital finished their paperwork, and the furneral taker had removed Mr. Granny's body to the morgue. She cried the wimper of a willow tree with tears streaking all over her skin, following the creases of her age lines. She told me between her tears all the wonderful experiences she had with her husband. She also told me that "now" she would be all alone in this world, with no biological relatives now alive - but she didn't seem all that sad about it. I asked her why. She said, "We had no children, just 45 years of children foster caring. We spent our waking time with those children on our farm." Her last words were, "memories", "Oh, I will walk the road with the memories of my husband and our 163 foster children, and that will carry me forth until I join Julius someday." She kissed my cheek, squeezed my hand, patted my cheek, and told me that "today" was going to be a special day in her heart."

I never learned so much emotion and love in four hours.

~Werdas'

Bless your sweet heart, Werdas. :smile:

It's Bugging Me!

This hit me the other day.

How did Mrs. Granny get Mr. Granny into the car? I cannot figure this out. The closest avenue I have come to is her strapping him on a "dolly" and rolling him to the car.

How long had he been dead when you got him to the hospital?? I assumed while I was reading your story that he had a massive coronary in the car on the way to... somehwere?

TSU: How long had he been dead when you got him to the hospital?? I assumed while I was reading your story that he had a massive coronary in the car on the way to... somehwere?

Tsu, strange but not one time did I think of any oddity/or mishaps on what was happening at the time. I just thought of "this" lady jerking on tears of a lost husband. I am going to shrug it off, all the strange thoughts that keep coming to my mind. But, if this word is right to use, I am still "bugged" on how little 'ol Mrs. Granny got him in the car. I suppose the hospital no doubt put her through many of the questions we could all ask :eek: .

1. What is the purpose of continuing an old thread?

The purpose of continuing an old thread is to revive a previous discussion or conversation that may still be relevant or of interest to the community. It allows for new perspectives and information to be shared, and can also provide closure to any unresolved issues from the original thread.

2. How do you determine if a topic is worth continuing in an old thread?

A topic is worth continuing in an old thread if it is still relevant and can generate meaningful discussion or add new information. It is also important to consider the engagement and interest of the community in the original thread.

3. Is it appropriate to continue an old thread if it is several years old?

It can be appropriate to continue an old thread even if it is several years old, as long as the topic is still relevant and the community is engaged. However, it is important to acknowledge the time gap and provide context for any new information or perspectives.

4. What are the benefits of continuing an old thread instead of creating a new one?

Continuing an old thread allows for a more cohesive and organized discussion, as all the information and perspectives are in one place. It also shows respect for the previous discussion and the contributions of others. Additionally, it can save time and effort in creating a new thread.

5. How can we encourage others to participate in an old thread?

One way to encourage participation in an old thread is by sharing it again on social media or other platforms. Another way is by directly asking individuals who may have relevant insights or knowledge to contribute. Additionally, acknowledging and thanking those who have participated in the original thread can also encourage them to continue the discussion.