Solving a large under-determined system of linear equations

In summary, the speaker has a linear system of equations with infinitely many solutions. They are seeking different methods to solve this problem and have considered posing it as a minimization problem using the 2-norm of x as the objective function. They have also looked into using the pseudo inverse method. They have three questions: if their approach is correct, if there is a more efficient method for solving large and sparse matrices, and how to impose additional constraints on the solution. The speaker also mentions the importance of ensuring that the appropriate hypothesis is met when using minimizing with constraint methods.
FrankST
Dear All,

I have a linear system of equations such as Ax = b where A is a m-by-n matrix and m < n and A is a full rank matrix (rank(A) = m).

Since there are infinitely many solutions to this problem, I was looking for different methods to solve this problem. As I understood I can pose this problem as the following:

minimize 2-norm of x subject to: Ax = b

And I realized I can use pseudo inverse to find x . Here is my question:

1- Is the way I posed the problem correct or if there is an alternative way?

2- If A is a large and sparse matrix (like 30,000 by 200,000 matrix) is there a more efficient method to solve this problem (iterative methods) ?

3- If I want to impose additional constraints such that 0 <= x's <= 1 how can I do that ?

Thanks for your help,

Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
1. not sure, but i'll side with you

2. maybe the method below would give you something for the computer. problem with iterating, is how long before it converges? you have a formula for that?

3. i think you want to look for minimizing least squares with constraints, which will change the formulas a little from your everyday least squares problem. you have to be careful though, because there's a million and one minimizing with constraint types of problems. if you don't make sure that you have the appropriate hypothesis met, you'll be pretty much wrong. for instance, keep in mind that your constraint is an inequality constraint, not an equality constraint.

1. How do I know if a system of linear equations is under-determined?

A system of linear equations is under-determined if there are more variables than equations. This means that there are multiple possible solutions to the system, and it cannot be solved using traditional methods.

2. What is the best way to solve a large under-determined system of linear equations?

One way to solve a large under-determined system of linear equations is to use a regularization method, such as the least squares method. This involves finding the solution that minimizes the sum of the squares of the residuals.

3. Can I use Gaussian elimination to solve a large under-determined system of linear equations?

No, Gaussian elimination is not suitable for solving under-determined systems because it can only find a unique solution when there are the same number of equations as variables. It also cannot handle systems with more variables than equations.

4. How can I make sure my solution to a large under-determined system of linear equations is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a numerical method that can handle under-determined systems, such as the least squares method. It is also important to check for any inconsistencies or errors in the original equations and data.

5. Is it possible to have no solution for a large under-determined system of linear equations?

Yes, it is possible for an under-determined system to have no solution. This occurs when the equations are inconsistent or when there is not enough information to determine a unique solution.