Newton's Third Law: Why Does Motion Occur?

In summary: Yes, when the coordinate system of free body is not inclined then x-component=xcos(theta) and y-component=ysin(theta). However, when the coordinate system is inclined to some angle (theta), then the above cases are inverted.
Deadevil
Newton third law!

Hi fellow members!
I would like to ask a silly question because my basic concepts are quit weak. Since according to Newton third law, with every action, an opposite and Equal force react to resist motion.Since both ACTion and Reaction forces are equal, they will cancel each other thus body should be in equilibrium than how the object moves or accelerated?
Answers will be appreciated!
Thnxx

Science news on Phys.org

Actually the action and reaction force are affect on different objects so they could make the objects moves or accelerated. For example ,if I push someone ,I will move backward and he will move forward.(I'm not an american.Maybe there're some grammar error,please correct me.)

lcypf said:
Actually the action and reaction force are affect on different objects so they could make the objects moves or accelerated. For example ,if I push someone ,I will move backward and he will move forward.(I'm not an american.Maybe there're some grammar error,please correct me.)

If you are facing each other and you push him, you will both move backwards, but yes, this is a good explanation for the OP.

OP, the forces are EQUAL ... that is not the same thing as equilibrium.

Thnx for rplying phinds & lcpyf but i m also cnsidering here different objects. But the forces r same!
Suppose a ball of mass m is falling under the action of gravity. Consider mass of Earth is M. Distance b/w the ball & surface of Earth is r at any instant. According to law of gravitation :-
F=GmM/r2
Thus, here gravitation force exerted by the ball on earth=gravitation force exerted by Earth on ball= GmM/r2
since, objects are different, but forces are they why gravitation force exerted by Earth on ball dominates? Ball should have to be suspended since the forces are equal.

Deadevil said:
Thus, here gravitation force exerted by the ball on earth=gravitation force exerted by Earth on ball= GmM/r2
OK.
since, objects are different, but forces are they why gravitation force exerted by Earth on ball dominates? Ball should have to be suspended since the forces are equal.
As already pointed out, the equal and opposite forces act on different bodies. Only if the net force on the ball were zero would its acceleration be zero. But that's not the case here.

Deadevil said:
Suppose a ball of mass m is falling under the action of gravity. Consider mass of Earth is M. Distance b/w the ball & surface of Earth is r at any instant. According to law of gravitation :-
F=GmM/r2

Yes, the force exerted by the ball on the Earth is equal to the force exerted by the Earth on the ball (although the forces are in opposite directions - the force of the Earth on the ball is pulling the ball down, towards the center of the earth, while the force of the ball on the Earth is pulling the Earth up, towards the center of the ball).

Now let's apply Newton's Second law, [itex]F=ma[/itex] to the Earth and the ball:

(force of Earth on ball) = (mass of ball) * (acceleration of ball towards earth)
(force of ball on earth) = (mass of earth) * (acceleration of Earth towards ball)

The mass of the ball is about [itex]1[/itex] kg.
The mass of the Earth is about [itex]6\times 10^{24}[/itex] kg

The two forces are equal. So when you plug in the numbers, you'll see that both the Earth and the ball will accelerate towards each other. But because the mass of the Earth is so much greater, the Earth's acceleration is much less - indeed, it is far too small to measure with even the most sensitive instruments - so we only notice the movement of the ball.

(If we did have sufficiently sensitive instruments, we would be able to see that the Earth is moving towards the ball as well as the ball moving towards the earth, that the forces acting on the entire ball+earth system are balanced and the center of gravity of that entire system is not moving. But it's really impossible to see this effect when the masses are so different - [itex]6\times 10^{24}[/itex] is a very big number indeed)

Thnx nugatory. You saved me. You resolved a big confusion which i was facing these days.
Let me ask another question about x & y component in Newton third law.
When the coordinate system of free body is not inclined then
x-component=xcos(theta)
y-component=ysin(theta)
which is understandable but when the coordinate system is inclined to somd angle (theta) then above mentiöned case is inverted.
X-component=xsin(theta)
y-component=ycos(theta)
why this is so?

(in general, a new question should be started in a new thread)

Every vector can be thought of as "the hypotenuse of _some_ right triangle".

In breaking a vector into components,
you FIRST need to choose a coordinate system
and then use a right-triangle who legs are parallel to those coordinate axes.

Remember... in a right-triangle
cosine(angle) goes with the component adjacent-to-that-angle
and sine goes with the component opposite-to-that-angle.

Now you just have to do some geometry to express
some angle in your right-triangle above
in terms of the incline's angle.

Try it out.

OP the force doesn't act on the same body,One force acts on one body while the other force acts on the other body

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law relate to motion?

Newton's Third Law explains why motion occurs. When an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object. This results in a change in motion, causing the objects to move.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

One example of Newton's Third Law is when a person is walking. As their foot pushes against the ground, the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on the foot, propelling the person forward.

4. Does Newton's Third Law only apply to objects on Earth?

No, Newton's Third Law applies to all objects in the universe. It is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all interactions between objects, regardless of their location or environment.

5. How does Newton's Third Law impact everyday life?

Newton's Third Law has many practical applications in everyday life. It explains the workings of simple machines, such as levers and pulleys, and is essential in understanding the principles of rocket propulsion and how airplanes fly. It also plays a role in sports, such as throwing a ball or skating on ice.