Solving a Probabilities Problem in Thermodynamics: Stuck? Let's Figure It Out!

In summary: C(M, (M+L)/2)Therefore, the probability of the drunks meeting at precisely the Mth timestep is given by:P(L,M) = C(M, (M+L)/2) / 2^MIn summary, to find the probability of the drunks being a distance A apart after M timesteps, we use the binomial coefficient to find the total number of accessible states that satisfy the condition, and divide it by the total number of possible states. For the probability of the drunks meeting at precisely the Mth timestep, we use the same method but with the condition that the drunks have taken a total of L steps.I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the problem.
jessawells
i'm stuck trying to figure out this probabilities problem for my thermodynamics class. the question is:

consider an idealized drunk, restricted to walk in one dimension (eg. back and forward only). the drunk takes a step every second, and each pace is the same length. let us observe the drunk in discrete timesteps, as they walk randomly - with equal probability - back or forward.

a) suppose we have 2 non-interacting drunks who start out in the same location. What is the probability that the drunks are a distance A apart after M timesteps? (use stirling's approximation if you need to)

b)suppose instead that the 2 drunks started a distance L apart. Find the probability that the drunks meet at precisely the Mth timestep.

i know that the probability of a binary model system is given by:
P = multiplicity of system / total # of accessible states
= g (M, s) / 2^M

where g is the multiplicity and s is the spin excess (# of forward steps - # of backward steps")

= M! / [(1/2M+s)! (1/2M-s)! 2^M]

using stirling's approx. for large M, this becomes,

P (M,s) = sqrt[2/M(pi)] exp[-2s^2/M]

i'm not sure where to go from here and I'm really confused. the formula i wrote takes care of the M timesteps, but how do i factor in the distance A? how should i go about doing this question? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The probability of the drunks being a distance A apart after M timesteps can be found by considering the total number of accessible states for the system. In this case, the system can be thought of as a random walk, where each step has equal probability of being forward or backward.

To find the total number of accessible states, we can think of the system as a series of steps, where each step can be either forward or backward. This can be represented as a binary number, where 0 represents a backward step and 1 represents a forward step. For example, if we have 4 timesteps, the binary number 0101 would represent two backward steps followed by two forward steps.

The number of possible binary numbers of length M is 2^M. However, not all of these numbers will result in the drunks being a distance A apart. To find the total number of accessible states, we need to consider the condition that the drunks are a distance A apart. This can be represented as the condition that the sum of the steps taken by the two drunks is equal to A.

For example, if A = 2 and M = 4, the possible binary numbers that would result in the drunks being 2 steps apart are 0011, 0101, and 0110. This is because the sum of the steps in these numbers is equal to 2.

Therefore, the total number of accessible states for the system is the number of binary numbers that satisfy the condition of the drunks being a distance A apart. This can be found using the binomial coefficient, which is given by:

C(M, (M+A)/2) = M! / [(M+A)/2)! ((M-A)/2)!]

Using this, the probability of the drunks being a distance A apart after M timesteps is given by:

P(A,M) = C(M, (M+A)/2) / 2^M

For part b), the probability of the drunks meeting at precisely the Mth timestep can be found by considering the number of ways in which the two drunks can take steps to reach the same point after M timesteps. This can be represented as the condition that the sum of the steps taken by the two drunks is equal to L.

Using the same method as above, the total number of accessible states for this condition is given by the binomial

Hi there,

I can understand your confusion with this problem. It can be quite challenging to incorporate both the time steps and distance A in the probability calculation. However, I will try to break it down for you and hopefully, it will make more sense.

Firstly, let's define the variables in the problem:

M = number of timesteps
A = distance between the two drunks
L = initial distance between the two drunks
s = spin excess (# of forward steps - # of backward steps)

Now, let's focus on part a) of the problem. We want to find the probability that the drunks are a distance A apart after M timesteps. To do this, we need to consider all the possible paths that the drunks can take to reach this distance A.

Let's say that the first drunk takes x number of forward steps and y number of backward steps. This means that the second drunk will take (M-x) forward steps and (M-y) backward steps to reach the distance A. Since each step is of equal length, we can say that:

x + (M-x) = A
and
y + (M-y) = A

Solving these equations, we get x = (M+A)/2 and y = (M-A)/2. Now, we can use these values to calculate the multiplicity of the system using the formula you mentioned above:

g(M,s) = (M!)/[(1/2(M+A))!(1/2(M-A))!2^M]

Substituting this in the formula for probability, we get:

P(A,M) = g(M,s)/2^M = (M!)/[(1/2(M+A))!(1/2(M-A))!2^M * 2^M]

Simplifying this, we get:

P(A,M) = (M!)/[(1/2(M+A))!(1/2(M-A))!]

Now, for part b) of the problem, we want to find the probability that the drunks meet at precisely the Mth timestep. This means that they must be at the same location after M timesteps, which is A = 0. Using the same approach as above, we can calculate the probability as:

P(0,M) = (M!)/[(1/2(M+0))!(1/2(M-0))!]

Simplifying this, we get

1. What is the first step in solving a probabilities problem in thermodynamics?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and determine the relevant variables and information given. This will help guide the approach to finding the solution.

2. How do I determine the probability of a certain outcome in thermodynamics?

The probability can be calculated using the formula P = (number of desired outcomes) / (total number of possible outcomes). It is important to ensure that all possible outcomes are considered and that the desired outcome is clearly defined.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a probabilities problem in thermodynamics?

A common mistake is to assume that all outcomes are equally likely, when in reality different outcomes may have different probabilities. It is also important to carefully consider the units and conversions when working with thermodynamic quantities. Additionally, double-checking calculations and making sure all assumptions are valid can help avoid mistakes.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a probabilities problem in thermodynamics?

If you are stuck, it can be helpful to take a step back and review the problem and the information given. It may also be useful to consult with a colleague or reference materials for guidance. Sometimes approaching the problem from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller parts can also help to find a solution.

5. How do I know if my solution to a probabilities problem in thermodynamics is correct?

To check the accuracy of your solution, you can compare it to known values or use logical reasoning to determine if the answer makes sense. It is also important to carefully check all calculations and assumptions made during the problem-solving process.