Green Buttons: Have You Seen Them? - Greg

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the green buttons that are popping up all over GD seem to be a big deal to some people, but they don't seem to be popular with Greg. He plans to change the buttons to blue if possible, but if not, he is okay with the green as a complementary color.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey, Greg, what's going on? There are reports all over GD of green buttons appearing. I have yet to see any green buttons (they don't sound all that attractive from what the folks are saying, unless you're working on changing the entire color theme of the site over to a green one)...so why does everyone else seem to see them and I don't? I feel so left out. :cry: :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold Ctrl, hold Shift, press R, then release all of the buttons, see what that does. And yes the buttons look very akward, mainly because of the lack of green elsewhere. Here is a screenshot so you will not feel left out. I added another screenshot, this one has all the icons that show new thread, new posts, etc.

green shot 1

green shot 2

edit... I was looking up safari a second ago, and that shortcut might not work. It does not look like safari has a refresh+override cache. You could always delete your cache, like you said in the other thread, but that is not as cool as just overriding it.

Last edited:
mattmns said:
And yes the buttons look very akward, mainly because of the lack of green elsewhere.

It my plan to implement the green as a complementry color to the blues. If nothing else I can always change the buttons to a blue hue.

Okay, I'm now on another computer, and I can see the green! :eek:

I like the change in icons on the main forum page and lists of threads in the forums, they're cute, but that green, is, well, um...well...if you can make them blue, it would be very good! :biggrin:

mattmns said:
Hold Ctrl, hold Shift, press R, then release all of the buttons, see what that does. And yes the buttons look very akward, mainly because of the lack of green elsewhere. Here is a screenshot so you will not feel left out. I added another screenshot, this one has all the icons that show new thread, new posts, etc.

Oh, in case you're curious, ctrl-shift-R doesn't do anything. I decided to just see if it does anything. Now I know. Good, one more key combination I can assign a job next time I need to create a shortcut for something. :smile:

Moonbear said:
Oh, in case you're curious, ctrl-shift-R doesn't do anything. I decided to just see if it does anything. Now I know. Good, one more key combination I can assign a job next time I need to create a shortcut for something. :smile:

Um - ctrl-R (with out without shift) does trigger a reload in most browsers (Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox, Lynx, NCSA Mosaic, not sure about Opera, command-R in Safari) but not in IE which doesn't provide a shortcut, and rarely reloads properly (really annoying).

Yeah, I looked online at safari shortucts and could not find one for reload+override cache, oh well.

And I think that blue buttons would look better too, but that is with the current theme, not sure what you have up your sleve.

NateTG said:
Um - ctrl-R (with out without shift) does trigger a reload in most browsers (Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox, Lynx, NCSA Mosaic, not sure about Opera, command-R in Safari) but not in IE which doesn't provide a shortcut, and rarely reloads properly (really annoying).

Yep, Cmd-R did a refresh in Safari. I can't tell if it did anything with the cache, since I'm not about to try it yet on the computer that isn't seeing green.

Blue would work, so would a light shade of gray. That pinkish beige that Chronos has on his ribbon would work if you want a new color. Even a more traditional yellow would go okay with the color scheme here. It's just that fluorescent green that clashes (and if you're contemplating your color palette there, avoid orange too). :biggrin:

Edit: By the way, the colors don't bother me so much on the icons, just the buttons. Well, until I go to the Homework Help pages where I don't post much and they don't have many replies to anyone thread, so there's just a whole column of fluorescent green beakers. Can we change the icons also for the threads replied to? Another color beaker would be okay (red or something like that), or a different symbol. The envelopes look out of place with the other icons updated. (Yeah, I know, I'm picky :tongue2:). Just as long as you don't make the mistake of messing with the smilies, it'll be nice to see an updated look around here (I assume that's the objective).

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
That pinkish beige that Chronos has on his ribbon would work if you want a new color.

Pinkish beige !?

Next you're going to want blanched almond :bugeye: , or peach puff :eek: , or maybe papaya whip

No way. It's either a dark cast iron gray or the blue that you get in an oxidizing oxy-acetylene flame (the kind you'd use for brazing or for welding brass). :approve:

NateTG said:
ctrl-R ... does trigger a reload in most browsers ... but not in IE
In IE it does.

NateTG said:
which doesn't provide a shortcut
Try ctrl-r.

Moonbear said:
Blue would work, so would a light shade of gray. That pinkish beige that Chronos has on his ribbon would work if you want a new color. Even a more traditional yellow would go okay with the color scheme here. It's just that fluorescent green that clashes (and if you're contemplating your color palette there, avoid orange too). :biggrin:
no! the green is good :biggrin:

I like the fresh color that breaks the boring blues, I was thinking blue/green/orange to be a good color scheme o:)

I'm not too sure about the strange erlenmeyers though :uhh:

Monique said:
no! the green is good :biggrin:

I like the fresh color that breaks the boring blues, I was thinking blue/green/orange to be a good color scheme o:)

I'm not too sure about the strange erlenmeyers though :uhh:

Orange and green are great colors
:cool: :biggrin:

Kerrie said:
Orange and green are great colors
:cool: :biggrin:

Ugh, our first apartment, in Madison while I was starting my thesis, was alligator green and orange. Ick! That was the worst year in modern American history (yes, worse than 2001 or 2004!) 1968, when all the good people were assasinated, Tet happened, Chicago happened, Nixon was elected, and the public polity seemed to be coming apart at the seams. That was when the old Pogo line "We have met the enemy and he is us*" seemed much more appropriate than ever before or since.

* Prize (my good opinion) for identifying the historic quote this is spoofing.

selfAdjoint, were you the one who had problems with distracting images on webpages, like the animated banner? Are these eye-popping green buttons too distracting? I find them pretty distracting (and now I'm starting to see some of them on the laptop too, but not the quote buttons yet).

What can I say, blue and red are my two favorite colors (and sometimes purple, but probably because it's both blue and red), so I like the blue theme much better than green. It also goes well with my blue and gray wallpaper theme.

selfAdjoint said:
Ugh, our first apartment, in Madison while I was starting my thesis, was alligator green and orange. Ick! That was the worst year in modern American history (yes, worse than 2001 or 2004!) 1968, when all the good people were assasinated, Tet happened, Chicago happened, Nixon was elected, and the public polity seemed to be coming apart at the seams. That was when the old Pogo line "We have met the enemy and he is us*" seemed much more appropriate than ever before or since.

* Prize (my good opinion) for identifying the historic quote this is spoofing.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours." - Cmdr Oliver Perry, after a naval battle on Lake Erie during the War of 1812

Another picky point. The closed thread icon (green flask with a little line) is not really clearly distinguishable from the no new posts icon (green flask without a line). And, why is it that a few posts in TD still show locks instead of flasks with lines? (That's where I went to look at how closed thread icons appear...where else would I find a whole page of them to see how well they show up?)

MOONBEAR! Let's get the WHOLE color scheme changed to

PURPLE!

It's such a nice background color for our habits! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu said:
MOONBEAR! Let's get the WHOLE color scheme changed to

PURPLE!

It's such a nice background color for our habits! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You know, there's something I really like about purple with green accents.

I realized the real problem with the green, there isn't enough other color! Just green buttons and a few icons on a blue background clashes, but if you add LOTS of colors, then they all work and no one color seems bad. Then our black habits will stand out so nicely on a background full of splashy colors (sort of the simple, sophisticated elegance that stands out amidst all the flashiness). :biggrin:

mattmns said:

green shot 1

green shot 2

edit... I was looking up safari a second ago, and that shortcut might not work. It does not look like safari has a refresh+override cache. You could always delete your cache, like you said in the other thread, but that is not as cool as just overriding it.
Ohh, you got a cool skin! What's that one called? Where can I get it?

Gokul43201 said:
Pinkish beige !? :bugeye: [...] No way. It's either a dark cast iron gray or the blue that you get in an oxidizing oxy-acetylene flame (the kind you'd use for brazing or for welding brass). :approve:

:biggrin: :approve: I like it!

Mk said:
Ohh, you got a cool skin! What's that one called? Where can I get it?
I am not sure I know what you are talking about. Do you mean the firefox skin, because it is almost stock, I just have a few personal changes. Or if you are talking about the gui skin, it is also almost stock, it is gnome in case you were wondering about it.

1. What are green buttons?

Green buttons are buttons that are colored green and typically have text or an icon on them. They are used as a visual element on websites and apps to indicate a clickable action or option.

2. Why are green buttons important?

Green buttons are important because they help users easily identify and interact with clickable elements on a website or app. They also create a sense of consistency and familiarity in design, making it easier for users to navigate and use the interface.

3. How do green buttons affect user behavior?

Research has shown that the color green is associated with growth, positivity, and action. This can subconsciously influence users to click on green buttons more often, making them more likely to engage with the desired action or option.

4. Are green buttons more effective than other colors?

The effectiveness of a button color largely depends on the context and target audience. However, studies have shown that green buttons tend to perform better in terms of click-through rates compared to other colors, such as red or blue.

5. How can I incorporate green buttons into my design?

When using green buttons, it is important to consider the overall color scheme and make sure the green color stands out enough to be easily noticed, but not too much that it becomes overwhelming. It is also important to use consistent and clear labeling on the buttons to avoid confusion for users.