Maxwell-boltzmann distribution

• Thread starter 4everphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary: Thank you for the recommendation! I would recommend "Statistical Mechanics: An Introduction with Applications" by Charles W. Misner and John A. Wheeler. It covers a lot of material, but is relatively easy to follow.
4everphysics
Hello everyone.

This is more of statistical / probability question.
I need to understand Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, but I find wikipedia article way out of my league.. I really can't understand lot of what they are saying.

Is there a good reading material that I can introduce myself with this distribution?
I am familiar with its usage, but not so much sure about the derivation and what not.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
4everphysics,
There are (at least) two levels of understanding:
1 - What it is, what it means, and where it is used (not too hard).
2 - How it was derived (harder).

For number 1- I would recommend you surf the web. There are a number of decent links that describe what this distribution is and how it is used (for example kinetic theory of gasses). In particular, look for links that show animations of particles bouncing around in a box. Some of these allow you to slow down the animation and you can follow a single particle with your eyes and witness its velocity (and thus energy) changing as it collides with other particles. You will be able to see how the overall distribution of speeds changes with temperature. The link that I have attached seems good.

http://www.chm.davidson.edu/vce/kineticmoleculartheory/Maxwell.html

Are you are interested in learning how the distribution is derived?

Thank you so much for the helpful link!

I am definitely interested in derivation! I feel like I truly understand only when I really understand the derivation. It would really be wonderful if I can get hold of text that explains the derivation.

Otherwise, understanding how it is used, and what it means will also be helpful. But, with the way Wikipedia page is written, I feel like I can only get superficial understanding of it.

One way for you to ease into the theory of this gently is to watch Dr. Susskind's lectures on statistical mechanics (Stanford University, on YouTube). Lectures 1 through 3 take you through Boltzmann. This will be an investment in time, each lecture is 2 hours. If you decide to do this, get out a notebook and take notes as if you were taking a class.

thank you so much for taking your time to give your response!
I would definitely be willing to invest those time.
My summer plan is just study math and physics (which I really have been keeping past one month by going to library almost every day!)

Do you have any recommendation on statistical mechanics book?

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of velocities for particles in a gas at a specific temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who both contributed to its development in the late 19th century.

2. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution derived?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This relationship is known as the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution function.

3. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve is affected by the temperature of the gas, the mass of the gas particles, and the number of particles present. Higher temperatures and lighter particles result in a broader curve, while a larger number of particles leads to a taller curve.

4. Why is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution important in physics and chemistry?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is important in physics and chemistry because it allows us to understand the behavior of gas particles at a molecular level. It is used to calculate various properties of gases, such as average speed and average kinetic energy, and is also used in the development of theories and models in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

5. How does the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution relate to the ideal gas law?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is related to the ideal gas law through the root mean square speed of gas particles, which is a key factor in the equation for the ideal gas law. This relationship helps to explain why the ideal gas law is only valid for gases at low pressures and high temperatures, where the particles follow a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.