Creating Flowcharts for Homework

• Thread starter jai6638
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses two flowcharts that the person has created for homework, one for getting a haircut and one for writing a letter. They ask for feedback on whether their flowcharts are correct. The conversation also includes a suggestion to add a short interval of time to the decision in the first flowchart and a clarification of the term "activity diagrams."
jai6638
hey.. taking a Intro-to-programming course and have to do 2 flocharts for homework. ( i need to include a decision in each flowchart ) . i'd apprecate it if someone could tell me if what i have done is correct or not..

!) Draw a flowchart to get a haircut

Start
Get in Car
drive to hairdresser
Tell barber to cut hair in a style of your choice
Sit on a chair and let barber cut your hair.

Decision:

Is barber is done cutting hair

No:

Kepe sitting ... Link to the flowline between "sit on a chair and let barber cut your hair" and decision box.

yes :

pay the barber

get in car and drive home

Stop

2) Writing a letter:

Start
Take pen and sheet of paper
Write a rough draft of the letter

Decision:

Is the rough draft framed well ?

No:

review rough draft and make appropriate changes ( and then link this to the flowline between "write a rough draft of the letter" and the decision" )

Yes:

Make the final copy from the rough draft

Stop

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone...?

The description is OK. In the first case say that the customer can wait for a short interval of time while his hair is being cut, till we go to the decision diamond again. Otherwise it seems like an event driven algorithm.

Do you have your activity diagrams to show us?

doesnt "Sit on a chair and let barber cut your hair." technically mean the same as "wait for a short interval of time ..." ... or are you saying that i should replace the former with the latter?

wht do u mean by activity diagrams? I don't have a scanner to scan the flowcharts that i have prepared..

thanks much!

Well, because flowcharts show a sequence of well defined steps in an algorithm, 'stay sit on the chair and wait' is not a definite action. You could just mention an interval of time such as 5 seconds.
By activity diagrams I just mean the flowcharts (UML term for flowcharts).

1. What is a flowchart?

A flowchart is a visual representation of a process or algorithm, using symbols and arrows to illustrate the sequence of steps.

2. Why are flowcharts useful for homework?

Flowcharts can help to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, making it easier to understand and solve homework assignments.

3. How do I create a flowchart for my homework?

The first step is to identify the problem or process you want to represent. Then, use symbols and arrows to map out the steps in a logical sequence. You can use a pen and paper or online tools to create your flowchart.

4. What symbols are commonly used in flowcharts?

Some common symbols used in flowcharts include rectangles for processes, diamonds for decisions, and arrows for the flow of direction. There are also special symbols for start and end points, inputs and outputs, and connectors.

5. Can I use a flowchart for any type of homework assignment?

Yes, flowcharts can be used for a variety of subjects and assignments, including math problems, programming tasks, and even essay planning. They can help to organize your thoughts and visualize the steps needed to complete your homework.