Recently graduated with BE in Materials Engineering. What should I do next?

In summary, the speaker recently graduated with a Bachelor's in Materials Engineering from NUST, Pakistan and has been applying to jobs within and outside of Pakistan with disappointing results. They are unsure of their next steps and have several questions including whether they should continue searching for a job in their field, pursue a Master's degree, or go for an MBA after gaining experience in the oil and gas sector. They also mention considering relocating to the Middle East and ask about potential trainings related to their field. The speaker ultimately wants to work in the oil and gas sector for a few years before getting an MBA and potentially settling in the Middle East. They are seeking advice on the best path for their career.
talal.azam
I recently graduated from NUST, Pakistan completing my Bachelors in Materials Engineering. I've applied to several industries within and outside Pakistan but so far the response has been disappointing.
I've been confused regarding where to start. There are a couple of questions I want to ask:

1) Should I keep on finding a job until I do and then stick to it? I am inclined towards inspection (NDT, corrosion) ?
2) Should I go for Maters, if yes then in which discipline and from where?
3) Should I try getting a job and eventually go for MBA which has a better potential for both jobs and salary?
4) In case I do masters, should I try moving to Middle east?
5) What about training's related to Welding (CSWIP), NDT, API standards?

I personally want to to a job in Oil and Gas sector for 2-3 years and then go for an MBA and eventually settle in the ME. Since this will give me a choice to shift either to Managerial side or either to Technical whenever I want.

I would really appreciate your opinion in this. Looking forward to you response.

Regards,
Talal Azam

Engineering news on Phys.org
As a chemical engineer I can understand you a bit.

Oil industry will accept you and they pay very well. Out of college you can look at 120k a year wit 150k on your second year but the hours / lifestyle is brutal if you do field work (only way you'll make that kind of cash). Doing something like that into MBA is financially really strong but your going to be sacrificing the 'good years' to make an impact.

That's what I'm doing currently. Make mad cash out the gate but to be honest I'm finding it not very fulfilling and the career path for a field engineer is generally short lived 2-3 years then you either switch companies because you can't move up (get out of the field) or you move up into a coordinator type position which is just checking the work of everyone in the field. But when you are in town you can live like a king and do whatever you want (or you know be responsible and not blow your money).

If your more interested in research
3M or a chip manufacturer is the way to go but unfortunately the way the material / chemical world is evolving it's pretty much PHD or gtfo when it comes to anything but a lab monkey. You can't even be a patent attorney for chemical items without a PHD nowadays because all the chem tech is above what they teach the average undergrad.

I think a master's in materials or chemical is worthless as it doesn't do what a PHD does. But a PHD opens a lot of doors, though I think the overall quality of the job you get isn't better than just going into the workforce before your PHD and getting the extra couple years in.

1. What career options are available for materials engineering graduates?

As a materials engineering graduate, you can pursue a career in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, and manufacturing. You can work as a materials engineer, research and development engineer, quality control engineer, or a production manager.

2. Should I pursue higher education after completing my BE in materials engineering?

It depends on your career goals and personal interests. Pursuing a master's or PhD in materials engineering can provide you with advanced knowledge and research opportunities in your field. It can also open up higher-paying job opportunities in industries such as academia and research.

3. How can I gain practical experience in materials engineering?

You can gain practical experience through internships, co-ops, or volunteer work in industries related to materials engineering. These opportunities can provide you with hands-on experience and help you develop skills that are highly valued by employers.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in materials engineering?

Some important skills for a materials engineering career include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, technical knowledge, and communication skills. Additionally, having a strong foundation in math and science is crucial for this field.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements in materials engineering?

You can stay updated by regularly reading industry publications, attending conferences and workshops, and networking with professionals in the field. Additionally, joining professional organizations and participating in online forums can also help you stay updated on the latest developments in materials engineering.