Stay an extra year + (NOT do two minors with Major) for a double major?

In summary, the individual is a first year undergraduate student in a Science Honours Physics program who recently added a minor in Computer Science. They have developed a strong interest in Pure Mathematics and are considering switching to the Theoretical Stream in their physics program to add a Mathematics minor. However, they are worried about missing out on important mathematics for graduate studies. They are also contemplating the possibility of doing a double major in Mathematics and Physics, but this would require an additional year of tuition and living costs. The individual is seeking advice on whether to pursue the double major or self-study pure math. The advice given is that the double major is worth it if the individual is serious about pursuing mathematics, but self-study is also a viable option with dedication
PHYSMajor
I have a terrible dilemma. Here's my story:

I'm a first year undergrad. in my second semester, in the Science Honours Physics (Experimental Stream) program. I just recently added a minor in Comp. Sci, because a lot of the courses required by my major and the minor were common, so I thought that it wouldn't hurt to do only a few additional courses for a minor rather than the regular 8.

My problem: Recently, I've really really started to like Pure Mathematics and have come to realize the importance of proofs in my understanding of Mathematics, rather than solving equations the way we currently are. I'm afraid that by continuing to take the engineering Math courses, I'm missing out on a lot of essential Math required at the graduate level. This is when I thought about switching to the Theoretical Stream in my physics program. Here, I'd replace the 2 electronics courses and a fourth year physics instruments course with 2 Math courses and a second quantum mechanics course, and would be able to add a minor in Mathematics in addition to the Comp Sci. minor without any additional work. However, this doesn't solve the problem of me being afraid that I'm missing out on some very important Mathematics. I then started looking up the Math and Physics double major offered by the university. I don't know why I didn't apply for this program during my admission (I'm stupid), because if I decide to enter it now, I'll have to wait until my second year starts. This is because the Math courses the students in the double major are required to take are 2-semester courses, rather than the one-semester courses I am currently doing. I can't start any of these until next semester (my second year). In other words, if I want to switch to the Math and Phys. double major (which I really do), I'd have to stay an entire year, and pay an entire year of living costs and tuition without a loan (I do have a 75% tuition scholarship, but I'd still have to somehow come up with additional money, as I don't think I'm eligible for a loan. My parents took me out of the country in grade 9, and we're required to live here for 12 months before uni. starts to be eligible for the loan.)

So what I would like to ask of you is: Instead of doing Honours Physics (Theoretical Stream) with a Comp. Sci. minor and a Mathematics minor should I stay an additional year to do a Mathematics and Physics double major? Alternatively, is it possible for me to do pure Math on my own? I will buy the textbooks, and I will read them. I started sitting in a Pure Math introductory course on my free time, and loved it. If I can self-study the Pure Math, I can keep the two minors I have right now, stay in my current physics program (I'd have to switch from the experimental to theoretical stream to be able to do the Math minor, though.) AND don't have to pay for an additional year. Is it the double major worth it...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is that if you are serious about pursuing mathematics, then the double major is worth it. However, if you don't want to commit to the extra year of tuition and living costs, then self-studying the pure math is a viable option as well. Self-study can be difficult, but if you are motivated and diligent, then you should be able to gain a good understanding of the material. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available to help you. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which path would be the best for you.

1. How long does it take to complete a double major with an extra year?

The time it takes to complete a double major with an extra year will vary depending on the specific requirements of the majors and the number of credits you are able to take each semester. However, on average, it may take an additional 30-36 credits or 1-2 semesters to complete a double major with an extra year.

2. Will staying an extra year for a double major affect my financial aid?

Staying an extra year for a double major may affect your financial aid, as your eligibility for aid is typically limited to a certain number of years or credits. It is important to consult with your financial aid office to determine how staying an extra year may impact your aid package.

3. Can I choose any combination of majors for a double major?

While some universities may allow for any combination of majors for a double major, others may have specific restrictions or requirements. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that your chosen combination of majors is feasible and meets all necessary requirements.

4. Will a double major improve my job prospects?

Having a double major may improve your job prospects, as it can demonstrate a diverse set of skills and knowledge, as well as dedication and commitment to your studies. However, it is important to note that job prospects also depend on other factors such as internships, work experience, and networking.

5. Can I still study abroad if I stay an extra year for a double major?

It is possible to still study abroad while staying an extra year for a double major, but it may require careful planning and coordination with your academic advisor. Depending on the requirements of your majors, you may need to take certain courses during specific semesters in order to stay on track for graduation.