Where Can I Find Lenses for a 19th Century Peep-Show Box Project?

• Thread starter surdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses sourcing lenses for a project that simulates 18th and 19th century peep-show or Rarekiek boxes. The lenses used in these boxes were large-diameter double-convex lenses with low diopters that created a 3D effect due to chromatic aberration. The speaker recommends searching for antique lenses or having them custom-made, as well as considering modern lenses designed for this purpose. They also suggest reaching out to a lens manufacturer for guidance.
surdo
Hello,

I am an artist looking for advice on lenses for a project that will simulate 18th and 19th "peep-show" or "Rarekiek" boxes. See for example:

http://www.loeb-larocque.com/optica.php#peep

I wish to either source lenses directly or if the price is not too prohibitive, have a number of them made.

Traditionally these peep-show boxes (esp. the Dutch Rarekiek boxes) often used large-diameter double-convex lenses for viewing with two eyes. The lenses had low dioptre to enable the viewer to focus on an image at the rear of the box.

A feature of these lenses is that they gave a type of 3D effect when looking at coloured images. It's my understanding this occurred because of chromatic aberration in the lens - that is, causing the focal planes of the various colours not to coincide - consequently some colours, reds for example, appeared to "float" in relation to other colours.

So given that, the lens I'm after should be a very simple one i think, one that doesn't attempt to correct for chromatic aberration as I gather most sophisticated lenses do.

Am I correct in my guesses? Can anyone please suggest a good way forward for me? For example where to source such lenses from or where to have them made.

Many thanks,

Iain

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Dear Iain,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on lenses for your project. I am familiar with the concept of chromatic aberration and its role in creating a 3D effect in peep-show boxes. You are correct in your understanding that this effect is caused by the focal planes of different colors not coinciding, resulting in the appearance of some colors "floating" in relation to others.

In terms of sourcing lenses for your project, I would recommend looking for double-convex lenses with a low diopter, as you mentioned. These types of lenses were commonly used in peep-show boxes during the 18th and 19th centuries. You can try searching for antique or vintage lenses online or at antique stores.

If you are unable to find suitable lenses, another option would be to have them custom-made. I would suggest reaching out to a lens manufacturer or optical company that specializes in creating custom lenses. They will be able to provide you with a lens design that meets your specifications and can also advise on the best materials to use for your project.

It is also worth noting that there are modern lenses available that can mimic the 3D effect of traditional peep-show box lenses. These lenses are designed to purposely create chromatic aberration and can be found at specialty optical stores or online.

I hope this information helps you in your search for lenses for your project. Best of luck!

1. How big can lenses for exhibition get?

Large lenses for exhibition can vary in size depending on the specific purpose and location. Some lenses can be as small as a few feet in diameter, while others can be over 100 feet in diameter.

2. What materials are used to make large lenses for exhibition?

Large lenses for exhibition are typically made from high-quality optical glass or specialized plastics. These materials are chosen for their ability to produce clear and distortion-free images.

3. How are large lenses for exhibition made?

The process of making large lenses for exhibition is a complex and precise one. It involves shaping and polishing the glass or plastic material to create the desired curvature and then applying specialized coatings to enhance its optical properties.

4. Are there any limitations to the use of large lenses for exhibition?

While large lenses for exhibition are incredibly useful in creating magnified and clear images, there are some limitations to their use. For example, lenses can only magnify an image up to a certain point before it becomes distorted, and they may not be suitable for use in extreme weather conditions.

5. How are large lenses for exhibition maintained and cared for?

To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of large lenses for exhibition, they must be regularly cleaned and inspected for any damages. Specialized equipment and techniques are used to safely maintain and repair these lenses as needed.