What is the force exerted by the axle on the cylinder?

• Thread starter jaymode
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the Force exerted on the cylinder by the axle can be found by taking into account the tension in the rope, the speed of the bucket on impact, and the time it takes to fall. The rotational acceleration of the cylinder can also be calculated using the torque equation. By combining these values, the net force on the bucket can be determined, which is equal to the force exerted by the axle.
jaymode
A bucket of water of mass 15.7kg is suspended by a rope wrapped around a windlass, that is a solid cylinder with diameter 0.250m with mass 11.2kg. The cylinder pivots on a frictionless axle through its center. The bucket is released from rest at the top of a well and falls a distance 10.1m to the water. You can ignore the weight of the rope.

I need to find the Force exerted on the cylinder by the axle.

I have found so far the tension in the rope while the bucket is falling which is 40.5 N, the speed on impact of the bucket, 12.1m/s, and the time it takes to fall as 1.67s.

But I have no clue how to proceed to find the force.

Physics news on Phys.org
to do this, you m ust have one more piece of information. What I'm seeing here is that there is a constant frictional torque applied by the axle on the cylinder. We could find this out if we had something like the time it took the bucket to fall, or the speed it hit the water with. Then we could see what the difference is between the real situation and the ideal conditions.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
to do this, you m ust have one more piece of information. What I'm seeing here is that there is a constant frictional torque applied by the axle on the cylinder. We could find this out if we had something like the time it took the bucket to fall, or the speed it hit the water with. Then we could see what the difference is between the real situation and the ideal conditions.

Regards,

Nenad

I don't think I understand what you are telling me to do. And all that information I have found. It is in the original post.

jaymode said:
A bucket of water of mass 15.7kg is suspended by a rope wrapped around a windlass, that is a solid cylinder with diameter 0.250m with mass 11.2kg. The cylinder pivots on a frictionless axle through its center. The bucket is released from rest at the top of a well and falls a distance 10.1m to the water. You can ignore the weight of the rope.

I need to find the Force exerted on the cylinder by the axle.

I have found so far the tension in the rope while the bucket is falling which is 40.5 N, the speed on impact of the bucket, 12.1m/s, and the time it takes to fall as 1.67s.

But I have no clue how to proceed to find the force.
The gravitational force on the dropping bucket provides all the accelerations: the bucket's downward acceleration and the cylinder's rotational accleration (torque = tangential force x radius of cylinder)

[tex]mg - T= ma = F_{bucket}[/tex]

[tex]Tr = \tau = I_{cyl}\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = a_{bucket}r[/tex]

With that you should be able to work out the net force on the bucket and T. T is the force on the axle.

AM

Last edited:
ok, I see what you mean. I took the question the wrong way. Do what Andrew Mason said, it is the correct approach. Sorry about the confusion.

I took a different approach than what you were telling me to do. Since I had already found the tension on the string, I added that to the Force of gravity exerted on the cylinder and that turned out to be the force that axle was exerting.

What is the Falling Bucket problem?

The Falling Bucket problem is a thought experiment in physics that explores the concept of rotational inertia. It involves a bucket filled with water that is attached to a rope and swung in a circular motion above the head. The question is, at what point will the rope break and the bucket fall to the ground?

What factors affect the outcome of the Falling Bucket problem?

The outcome of the Falling Bucket problem is affected by several factors, including the mass of the bucket, the length of the rope, the speed at which the bucket is swung, and the strength of the rope. These factors all contribute to the rotational inertia of the system.

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the Falling Bucket problem?

The Falling Bucket problem is significant because it helps to demonstrate the concept of rotational inertia, which is an important concept in physics. It also highlights the relationship between mass, speed, and radius of rotation in a system.

How is the Falling Bucket problem related to real-world applications?

The Falling Bucket problem has real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, sports, and transportation. Understanding rotational inertia can help engineers design more efficient machines, athletes perform more precise movements, and drivers navigate turns safely in their vehicles.