How Strong is the Gravity of a Black Hole Compared to Earth?

In summary, gravity is not a force in General Relativity, but rather a distortion of spacetime caused by mass. While we can use Newton's gravity formula in some cases, it is not accurate near a black hole. There is no known limit to the range of gravity, but nearby sources will have a greater effect.
uperkurk
Gravity on Earth is 9.8m/s² and on the moon I believe it's 1.6m/s² so I'm wondering how much gravity a black hole has?

What is the minimum force of gravity needed to bend space-time, do we know? Is there a formula?

Also how far from the black hole would you have to be before you no longer feel the pull of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't really an answer to your first question, I'm afraid (although note that this is at the limit of my understanding, and someone may correct me). In General Relativity, gravity is not a force. Mass changes the definition of "straight line" so that objects moving freely tend to curve toward it. The maths describing that is rather complicated, but you find that you can recover Newton's gravity-is-a-force maths if the gravity is weak. However, gravity is not weak near a black hole and it isn't really possible to treat that kind of thing as a force in a coherent way.

All mass distorts spacetime. That's what gravity is, to the best of our knowledge. Under some circumstances you can pretend that Newton was right because the maths is a lot simpler and the errors are too small to matter. For example, NASA throws spacecraft at the outer planets without Einstein. On the other hand, the GPS would report wrong positions if it did not allow for spacetime curvature.

Finally, there is no known limit to the range of gravity. Given enough time, any mass will pull you in unless you do something like orbit it. If you are far enough away, though, nearby sources of gravity will dominate - for example the Earth's gravity is much more important to you than that of a supermassive black hole two galaxies over.

Last edited:

What is the gravity of a black hole?

The gravity of a black hole is incredibly strong. It is so strong that it can even trap light, which is the fastest moving thing in the universe.

How does the gravity of a black hole affect nearby objects?

The gravity of a black hole is so strong that it can pull nearby objects, such as stars and gas clouds, towards it. This can cause these objects to orbit around the black hole or even get pulled into it.

Is the gravity of a black hole the same everywhere?

No, the gravity of a black hole is not the same everywhere. The closer you get to the center, or the singularity, the stronger the gravity becomes. This is why the event horizon, the point of no return, is often referred to as the "edge" of the black hole.

Can the gravity of a black hole be escaped?

Yes, it is possible to escape the gravity of a black hole if you are traveling at an extremely high speed. This is known as the escape velocity and it varies depending on the size of the black hole.

How does the gravity of a black hole affect time?

The gravity of a black hole can also affect time. Time near a black hole will appear to pass slower compared to time in a less dense area. This is due to the intense gravitational pull warping space-time. This phenomenon is known as gravitational time dilation.