Looking for a better understanding of chemical reactions

In summary: As you go through your courses you will learn about the specific mechanisms and energetics of different types of reactions, as well as the specific conditions in which they are favorable. In summary, molecules may not react if they are inert or if the conditions are unfavorable. To find standard state enthalpy and entropy values, try searching online or in scientific literature databases. As you learn more about different types of reactions and conditions, you will gain a better understanding of why molecules react.
aclark609
This is for self study.

1. Why don't some molecules react? For example, NH3 + CaCO3

2. Where can I find a good list of standart state enthalpy and entropy values for molecules? My Chem I teacher gave us all a pretty good handout, but that's been a while ago, and I don't know where it is.

3. Why do molecules react in the first place? I understand that molecules react to achieve more stability but that seems incomplete. What else do I need to know in a general sense.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. Because one of both of the molecules are inert/stable or the products which may form are of higher energy than the reactants. Or the conditions are unfavorable or possibly other reasons. This question is extremely broad and vague, you can't expect people on here to teach you all of Chemistry. As you advance through a Chemistry curriculum you will take classes such as Organic Chem, Inorganic Chem, Physical Chem etc. Each field has its own "take" on things but it truly all does boil down to the energetics.

2. Try Google. If you need some specific information about a specific molecule which is not listed in typical tables, you can search the literature via Pubmed of Google Scholar or any other scientific literature database/search engine.

Also some texts will have Thermodynamic reference tables at the end.

3. See number 1.

1. What are chemical reactions?

Chemical reactions are processes that involve the transformation of one or more substances into new substances. This transformation occurs through the breaking of existing chemical bonds and forming of new bonds between atoms.

2. What are the types of chemical reactions?

There are five main types of chemical reactions: synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, and combustion. Synthesis reactions combine two or more substances to form a new compound, while decomposition reactions break down compounds into simpler substances. Single displacement reactions involve the exchange of atoms or ions between two compounds, and double displacement reactions involve the exchange of ions between two compounds. Combustion reactions involve the rapid combination of oxygen with a fuel, resulting in the release of energy.

3. How do chemical reactions occur?

Chemical reactions occur when reactant molecules collide with enough energy and in the correct orientation to break existing bonds and form new ones. The energy required to initiate a chemical reaction is called the activation energy.

4. What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and the nature of the reactants and products. Increasing temperature, concentration, and surface area can generally increase the rate of a reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction by lowering the activation energy.

5. How can understanding chemical reactions be useful?

Understanding chemical reactions is important in many fields, including chemistry, biology, and engineering. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of substances, develop new materials and products, and understand natural processes such as photosynthesis and digestion. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and environmental management.