Find a link between physics and assignment problems

In summary, the problem is that students are trying to solve difficult physics assignments using methods that are not appropriate.
martin_z
Hi !

I've been working about assignments problems and how to solve them. I will have to do a presentation about it in few weeks. However, I'll have to do it in front of 2 judges: one specialized in math and one in physics.

Because i don't want the physician to get bored during my presentation, I'm currently trying to find an simple application of assignment problem in physics or chemistry.

Do you have any idea of interesting application ?

Thank you for your help.
Please excuse my poor english

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment_problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The subject, "assignment problems", is too broad to suggest a specific.
I'd suggest the link to physics would be the link to hard science - how would scientific method apply to approaching assignment problems?

Apart from that - how about just picking a physics assignment off the web, off the "homework" forum here for eg. and use how someone has approached the problem as an example of the sorts of things you are talking about?

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
The subject, "assignment problems", is too broad to suggest a specific.
I'd suggest the link to physics would be the link to hard science - how would scientific method apply to approaching assignment problems?

Apart from that - how about just picking a physics assignment off the web, off the "homework" forum here for eg. and use how someone has approached the problem as an example of the sorts of things you are talking about?

Thank you for your answer ! I think we don't talk about the same assignment problems. I would like to find an basic physical example that could be explained by solving an assignment problem.

MisterX said:
It has no direct application to physics to which I am aware.

However, we may consider the reverse. We can apply physics to solving assignment problems.

The notable example is D-Wave quantum optimizers which have been used to solve quadratic assignment problems.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013...timizer-pitted-against-traditional-computers/

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/business/quantum-study.pdf

Thank you for the links but the level of physics is too high for me and it would take me ages to analyze them. I've been thinking of an example in chemistry. Do you think it would be possible to determine the geometry of a molecule considering the energetic cost it would take to bring the atoms?

Thank you for your answer ! I think we don't talk about the same assignment problems. I would like to find an basic physical example that could be explained by solving an assignment problem.
You mean as in a problem with assigning things?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment_problem
Context is everything.

I think you may find something representative as an "inverse problem" in physics - statistical physics and stochastics. If you google "physics assignment problem" you'll get a lot of students wanting help with assignments ;) but scholar has articles that may be more useful for you.

Or something like this:
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...page&q=assignment problems in physics&f=false

They will all involve pretty advanced physics - it's not an approach that would be used for something easy.

1. What is the connection between physics and assignment problems?

There are many connections between physics and assignment problems. One of the main connections is that both fields involve problem solving and critical thinking. In physics, you are often given a set of variables and parameters and asked to solve for an unknown quantity. Similarly, in assignment problems, you are given a set of tasks and asked to assign them to certain individuals or groups. Both fields also require an understanding of mathematical concepts and formulas.

2. How does the principles of physics apply to solving assignment problems?

The principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, can be applied to assignment problems in the sense that they provide a framework for problem solving. Just as you would use the laws of motion to analyze and solve a physics problem, you can use logical reasoning and problem solving strategies to tackle assignment problems. Additionally, physics teaches us about optimization and efficiency, which can also be applied to assignment problems.

3. Can physics concepts be used to optimize assignment solutions?

Yes, many physics concepts can be used to optimize assignment solutions. For example, the concept of equilibrium can be applied to balancing tasks among individuals or groups to ensure a fair and efficient distribution of work. Other concepts such as force, velocity, and acceleration can also be used to analyze and improve the efficiency of assignment solutions.

4. How does understanding physics help in solving assignment problems?

Understanding physics can help in solving assignment problems by providing a logical and systematic approach to problem solving. Physics teaches us how to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and how to use mathematical principles to analyze and solve these parts. These problem solving skills can be applied to assignment problems to help find the most efficient and effective solutions.

5. Are there any specific branches of physics that are particularly relevant to assignment problems?

While all branches of physics can offer insights and principles that can be applied to assignment problems, some branches may be more relevant than others. For example, classical mechanics can provide a framework for analyzing and optimizing systems, while thermodynamics can help with understanding and improving the efficiency of processes. Ultimately, the principles and concepts from all branches of physics can be useful in solving assignment problems.