Can the Trajectory of a Bullet Be Modeled with a Single Mathematical Function?

In summary: I was too slowIn summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help in writing a function to describe a bullet's path. The student has asked their Physics and French teachers, but the latter deemed it impossible. The student is considering combining two equations given by the Physics teacher and is seeking help on how to do so. The conversation also touches on the effects of air resistance and the possibility of writing the function as a multivariable one.
lss1
I've been mulling this over all weekend, and I've decided to get some help on this. The problem is writing a function to describe a bullet's path. I've asked two people about it my Physics teacher (who said he didn't know how) and my French teacher, who was a nuclear engineer for the US Navy (who said it was impossible). I don't know much about ballistics, but I am very willing to learn.

My Physics teacher started out with the equation $$y = v_y t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2$$ and the equation $$x = v_x t.$$ So I've been looking for a way to combine these two functions. I asked my French teacher about it and he said it was impossible because at the beginning of the travel-path, the motion is dominated by the x-component, and as it goes on the velocity in the x-direction slows down, and the y-acceleration becomes more dominant. He said that as the motion changes from x-dominated to y-dominated, the variable, t, becomes two different variables, and therefore cannot be written in the same function. I've been thinking it could work as a multivariable function, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
lss1 said:
I've been mulling this over all weekend, and I've decided to get some help on this. The problem is writing a function to describe a bullet's path. I've asked two people about it my Physics teacher (who said he didn't know how) and my French teacher, who was a nuclear engineer for the US Navy (who said it was impossible). I don't know much about ballistics, but I am very willing to learn.

My Physics teacher started out with the equation $$y = v_y t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2$$ and the equation $$x = v_x t.$$ So I've been looking for a way to combine these two functions. I asked my French teacher about it and he said it was impossible because at the beginning of the travel-path, the motion is dominated by the x-component, and as it goes on the velocity in the x-direction slows down, and the y-acceleration becomes more dominant. He said that as the motion changes from x-dominated to y-dominated, the variable, t, becomes two different variables, and therefore cannot be written in the same function. I've been thinking it could work as a multivariable function, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

Projectile motion is pretty simple to deal with until you introduce air resistance. This wikipedia page should get you going:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion

Are you wanting to incorporate the effects of air resistance at some point?

Last edited:
Lesson: don't ask a French teacher to do the Physics teacher's job.

If you shoot a projectile with an initial velocity v at an angle theta to the horizon, the velocity can be decomposed into a horizontal component (vx) and a vertical component (vy). The time variable t is the same. Assuming there is no resistance to the motion of the projectile, the horizontal velocity is not diminished, while the effect of gravity acts to diminish the vertical velocity. At some time after launching the projectile, the vertical velocity drops to zero (while the horizontal velocity is undiminished), and the projectile begins to drop toward the ground (in other words, the vertical velocity has changed sign).

While you can't combine the expressions for the displacements x and y into a single equation, you can compute values of x and y at a single time t. The values of x and y can be thought of as components of a position vector which locates the projectile relative to where it was initially fired.

SteamKing said:
While you can't combine the expressions for the displacements x and y into a single equation, you can compute values of x and y at a single time t. The values of x and y can be thought of as components of a position vector which locates the projectile relative to where it was initially fired.

Unless by "combine these two functions" OP meant "write y as a function of x". If that's the case, OP: that's also easy, and is explained under "Parabolic trajectory" in berkeman's Wikipedia link.

Couldn't the OP use the second equation to eliminate time from the first? Assuming he/she is just looking for an equation to relate the x and y coordinates of the bullet trajectory.

Edit:
Merde!

What is a bullet's path?

A bullet's path refers to the trajectory or flight path that a bullet takes when it is fired from a firearm.

How is a bullet's path affected by gravity?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining a bullet's path. As soon as the bullet leaves the barrel of the firearm, it starts to fall towards the ground due to the force of gravity. The angle at which the bullet is fired and the muzzle velocity also affect its trajectory.

What factors influence a bullet's path?

Several factors can influence a bullet's path, including the bullet's weight, shape, and velocity, air resistance, and external forces such as wind and gravity. The firearm's design and the shooter's technique can also impact the bullet's path.

How can a function help calculate a bullet's path?

A function is a mathematical equation or algorithm that can be used to calculate the bullet's path based on the input of various factors, such as the bullet's initial velocity, angle of fire, and environmental conditions. Using a function can help predict the bullet's trajectory and determine its impact point.

What are the practical applications of understanding a bullet's path?

Understanding a bullet's path is crucial for accuracy in shooting sports and hunting. It also has practical applications in forensic science, crime scene investigation, and military operations. By analyzing the bullet's path, investigators can determine the direction and angle of the shot, which can provide valuable information in solving crimes or assessing a shooter's performance.