Why There is No Nobel Prize for Math - A Funny Joke

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nobel prize
In summary, a professor mentioned a funny joke about why there isn't a Nobel Prize for mathematics, but it was considered too obscene to share in class. Someone asked if anyone knew the joke, but it was also deemed inappropriate for a public forum. Despite this, the joke was shared in a less humorous manner, involving a mathematician named Mittag-Leffler and Alfred Nobel's wife. However, it should be noted that this story is untrue.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
One of my professors said today that there's a really funny joke out on teh web that was a lil too 'obsecene' to say in class about why there isn't a nobel prize for mathematics. Anyone know what it is? :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, but it's a little too obscene to say in a public forum ! :wink:

How bout someone PM me it lol.

But, since I am a stranger to propriety, I'll tell it anyway (but in an unfunny way):
Nobel got pissed off on the mathematician Mittag-Leffler from having run off with Nobel's wife.
After that, Nobel didn't like mathematicians very much.

PS. The story is untrue

What is the joke about the Nobel Prize for Math?

The joke is that there is no Nobel Prize for Math, even though it is considered one of the most important subjects in science.

Why is there no Nobel Prize for Math?

Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Prize, did not include a category for mathematics in his will. As a result, the Nobel Committee has not been able to award a Nobel Prize in this field.

Is there a reason why Alfred Nobel did not include math in the Nobel Prize?

There are a few theories as to why Nobel did not include math in the Nobel Prize. One theory is that he had a personal dislike for mathematicians, while another theory is that he believed math was not a practical enough field to be recognized by his award.

Are there any other awards or prizes for mathematics?

Yes, there are other awards and prizes that recognize achievements in mathematics. Some examples include the Fields Medal, the Abel Prize, and the Wolf Prize.

Is it possible for a mathematician to receive a Nobel Prize in another category?

Yes, it is possible for a mathematician to receive a Nobel Prize in another category if their work has significant applications in that field. For example, John Nash, a mathematician, received the Nobel Prize in Economics for his contributions to game theory.