Calculating Eigenenergies of Photon in Cavity Hamiltonian

In summary, the Hamiltonian is a combination of two matrices, one representing the field and atom system and the other representing light matter coupling. The energy is calculated by finding where the matrix H-E is singular, and can be simplified by diagonalizing the second matrix in the subspaces of degenerate states. The commutativity of the operators allows for the use of the spectral theorem in finding the eigenvalues.
Abigale
Hey,
in my notes I have calculated the Eigenenergie of the Hamiltonian:
[itex]

H= \hbar \omega (n+\frac{1}{2}) \cdot

\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

+\hbar

\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} & g \sqrt{n+1} \\
g \sqrt{n+1}& -\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2}
\end{pmatrix}

[/itex]

We have just calculated:
$$det\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} - \lambda & g \sqrt{n+1} \\
g \sqrt{n+1}& -\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} - \lambda
\end{pmatrix} => \lambda = \pm \sqrt{
\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{4}+g^2(n+1)
}$$

And then we said the Eigenenergie is:

[itex]E=\hbar \omega(n+\frac{1}{2}) \pm \hbar\sqrt{
}[/itex]

Why can I add [itex]\hbar \omega(n+\frac{1}{2})[/itex] to the result of the determinant?

Or why is it possible to neglect the first term of the hamiltonian in the determinant?

I also know that:

[itex] [N,H]=[a^\dagger a + c_{1}^\dagger c_1 , H] =0[/itex]

a is a photon annihilation operator and c a fermionic annihilation operator.

The Hamiltonian in an other notation is [itex]H = \hbar \omega a^\dagger a + \frac{1}{2} \hbar \Omega(c^\dagger _1 c_1 -c^\dagger _0 c_0) +\hbar g(a c^\dagger _1 c _0 + a^\dagger c^\dagger _0 c_1)[/itex].

I regard interaction of photons and fermions. So the states looks like [itex]|01>|n>[/itex] or [itex]|10>|n+1>[/itex] where n is the number of photons.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
in my notes I have calculated the Eigenenergie of the Hamiltonian:
[itex]

H= \hbar \omega (n+\frac{1}{2}) \cdot

\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}

+\hbar

\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} & g \sqrt{n+1} \\
g \sqrt{n+1}& -\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2}
\end{pmatrix}

[/itex]

We have just calculated:
$$det\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} - \lambda & g \sqrt{n+1} \\
g \sqrt{n+1}& -\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} - \lambda
\end{pmatrix} => \lambda = \pm \sqrt{
}$$

And then we said the Eigenenergie is:

[itex]E=\hbar \omega(n+\frac{1}{2}) \pm \hbar\sqrt{
}[/itex]

Why can I add [itex]\hbar \omega(n+\frac{1}{2})[/itex] to the result of the determinant?

Or why is it possible to neglect the first term of the hamiltonian in the determinant?
That's not what's happening.

What is ##\lambda##? Is it like E - <something>? :confused:

The method for finding the energy eigenvalues ##E## is to find where the matrix ##H - E## is singular, i.e.,
$$
\det(H - E) ~=~ 0 ~.
$$ So... work out this determinant explicitly and solve the resulting quadratic equation... :wink:

Abigale said:

That Hamiltonian is known as the Jaynes-Cummings Hamiltonian. The first term describes the field and the atom (or any other two-level system). The notation is somewhat non-standard though, but that does not matter. The second term describes the light matter coupling. The eigenstates of the first term are pretty easy to solve and of the type |n,e> or |n,g>. n is the number of photons, e and g mean that the atom is in the excited or ground state. Now the states of interest are those of the kind |n,e> and |n+1,g>. You either have n+1 photons and the atom is in the ground state or one photon gets absorbed and the atom is in the excited state. As these two states are degenerate for every n, it is sufficient to diagonalize the Jaynes-Cummings Hamiltonian (the second part about light matter interaction) in the subspaces given by these degenerate states, which gives you the result you get for every possible n.

Likes 1 person
How to callculate the energy?

But I don't understand why the energy can be callculated by:[itex]E=\hbar \omega(n+\frac{1}{2}) + \lambda
[/itex]with[itex]

det \lbrace

\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2}-\lambda & g \sqrt{n+1} \\
g \sqrt{n+1}& -\frac{\Omega_0 -\omega_0}{2} -\lambda
\end{pmatrix}
\rbrace
=0
[/itex].
Normally the Energy is callculated by:

[itex]\det(H-\lambda \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}) =0 [/itex]And normally: [itex]\det (A+B) \neq \det (A) +\det (B)[/itex]

Remember that the operators/matrices are commuting. The spectral theorem helps here as commuting normal matrices can be diagonalized simultaneously. One can show that each eigenvalue of the sum of two commuting positive matrices is a sum of the eigenvalue of the two summands.

If you want the "hard" math, you can find details in the standard book "Matrix Analysis" by Horn and Johnson. In the edition I have, you find the necessary details on page 51.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the significance of calculating eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian?

Calculating eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian is important for understanding the behavior of photons in a confined space, such as a cavity. This can provide insights into the properties of the cavity and how it interacts with photons, which is useful for applications in fields such as quantum optics and cavity quantum electrodynamics.

2. How are eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian calculated?

Eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian can be calculated using various methods such as numerical techniques or analytical solutions. One common method is to solve the Schrödinger equation for the Hamiltonian, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian matrix.

3. What factors can affect the eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian?

The eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian can be influenced by several factors, such as the geometry and size of the cavity, the refractive index of the cavity material, and the presence of any external fields or perturbations. These factors can cause shifts or splitting of the eigenenergies.

4. How do eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian relate to the modes of the cavity?

The eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian correspond to the allowed energy levels of the cavity modes. Each eigenenergy is associated with a specific mode of the cavity, which describes the spatial distribution of the electric and magnetic fields within the cavity. The mode with the lowest eigenenergy is known as the fundamental or lowest-order mode.

5. What are some potential applications of calculating eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian?

The calculation of eigenenergies of photons in a cavity Hamiltonian has various applications in fields such as quantum computing, optical sensing, and cavity-enhanced spectroscopy. It can also be used to design and optimize the performance of cavity-based devices, such as lasers and photonic circuits.