Is natural selection the driving force behind evolution and adaptation?

• Thread starter theCandyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary: However, it is not the same as adaptation, which is the result of the organism consciously adapting to its surroundings.
theCandyman
I hope this topic belongs in this forum. If not, please move it to where it should be.

What is the difference between evolution and adaptation? Is evolution just the term used to embody all the adaptation that an organism has gone through?

Biology news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, adaption is a form of evolution. Evolution means change over time. Adaption means, well adapting and that is only possible through evolution.

Not all evolution changes adapt the organism to its surroundings.

I think organisms need to adapt themselves consciously to develop
and through a long long time of different developments-external and internal- they are said to evolve through time. Is what i am thinking correct,the same as yours?
Thanks

yan-cha said:
and through a long long time of different developments-external and internal- they are said to evolve through time. Is what i am thinking correct,the same as yours?
Thanks

This is NOT what evolution says, or nearly all biologists believe to be so. Rather, random small mutations of the genes cause random changes in the bodies and/or behaviors of the next generation, and the competition to use the environment causes the organisms with less adaptive mutations to have fewer offspring, while the more adaptive ones flourish and have more offspring, which over many generations, causes the organism to evolve into something else. What the organism wants has nothing to do with it, except that wanting something is a form of behavior that can be affected by a mutation like other behaviors.

yan-cha said:
Thanks
This is what Lamarck thought, giraffes grow long necks to reach the fresh tree leaves up in a tree, after which the successive generations have a long neck. This has been proven wrong by genetics, the Darwinian view of successive mutations giving survival advantage is right.

Monique said:
... the Darwinian view of successive mutations giving survival advantage is right.

To elaborate a little on that:
There is variation between different specimens within a population and some of them will produce more offspring than others. The offspring carries the genes of its parents so they will have similar traits that made their parents successful in producing offspring (being good a surviving, findings mates, etc.). This has the effect that over generations certain traits will become more abundant within the population. It depends on the environment which traits are good, and become more abundant because of that. So over generations nature selects (natural selection) the ones that are better adapted to the environment. In this way natural selection leads to adaptation of the population to its environment.

Mutations bring new variation, although probably mostly harmful, sometimes it will produce new traits that are more adaptive so that after some generations this new trait will be abundantly present within the population.

1. What is evolution?

Evolution is a scientific theory that explains how living species have changed and diversified over time through the process of natural selection. It is driven by genetic variations and environmental factors, and results in the development of new species with unique characteristics.

2. How does evolution occur?

Evolution occurs through the process of natural selection, which is driven by genetic mutations and environmental pressures. Mutations introduce new genetic variations into a population, and those that are beneficial for survival and reproduction are more likely to be passed down to future generations. Over time, these accumulated changes result in the development of new traits and species.

3. What is the evidence for evolution?

There is a wealth of evidence that supports the theory of evolution, including the fossil record, comparative anatomy and embryology, DNA sequencing, and observed instances of natural selection in action. These pieces of evidence provide a comprehensive understanding of how species have changed and diversified over millions of years.

4. Can evolution and religion coexist?

Evolution and religion can coexist, as they address different aspects of human understanding. While evolution is a scientific theory that explains the diversity of life on Earth, religion offers spiritual and moral guidance. Many religious beliefs, including Christianity and Islam, have incorporated the concept of evolution into their teachings.

5. What is adaptation?

Adaptation is the process by which an organism changes to better suit its environment. This can occur through physical changes, such as the development of new structures or abilities, or behavioral changes, such as learning new strategies for survival. Adaptation is a key mechanism in the process of evolution.