Li-ion battery positive electrode attraction

In summary, when you don't close the circuit, the Li ions on one side are repelled by the positive electrode and don't want to migrate, but when you close the circuit the Li ions are drawn to the other side where they accumulate and form a weak positive side.
steviereal
I don't understant how the positive electrode can attract both electrons and the positive Li ions as they both flow to it. Also, the way to start the whole process is to let the electrons flow, right? (Close the circuit.) Without it, the ions also don't want to start flowing, although there is nothing else stopping them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you do not close the circuit, some ions go to the electrode until it accumulates a small positive charge - this charge then repels the other ions so the process stops.
If you close the circuit, that does not happen and the concentration difference and chemical potential between the two sides leads to a flow of lithium ions towards the positive electrode.

So some ions diffuse to the other side and will form a weak positive side there. But won't there be much more Li ions in the graphite still, so won't that side be stronger? How come the electrons want to migrate to the other side where there is just a "thin layer" of Li ions that diffused there?

What do you mean with "stronger"? The graphite side has ions and electrons, so it is uncharged. As soon as some ions go to the other side, it gets a negative charge and the other side gets a positive charge, driving electrons through the circuit.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "stronger"? The graphite side has ions and electrons, so it is uncharged. As soon as some ions go to the other side, it gets a negative charge and the other side gets a positive charge, driving electrons through the circuit.

Sorry, I was under the impression the graphite was full of Li ions, presenting an overall positive charge. (Neutral graphite+Li ions=positive.) Or do the additional electrons come from the electrolyte to the graphite? That's my problem, all those nice drawings and animation are misleading in explaining this.
Also, if I remember correctly, the flowing electrons are supposed to be ripped off the Li ions, making them even more positive. So the real question is...which ingredient is where originally...and what goes where. But I can feel it's getting clearer in my mind :-)

A general rule: macroscopic objects are always extremely close to neutral. You'll never see an imbalance of 0.01%, for example (like 9999 electrons per 10000 protons). Such a material would instantly explode from the mutual repulsion of the positive charges.

The graphite is full of Lithium atoms, so it is a collection of "Lithium ion plus electron".
Also, if I remember correctly, the flowing electrons are supposed to be ripped off the Li ions, making them even more positive.
They have a single positive charge when they go to the other side.

mfb said:
A general rule: macroscopic objects are always extremely close to neutral. You'll never see an imbalance of 0.01%, for example (like 9999 electrons per 10000 protons). Such a material would instantly explode from the mutual repulsion of the positive charges.

Oh, I'm getting it, then. So it is actually Li metal incarcerated in the graphite. By closing the circuit, we allow an oxidation process to start, so the electrons can flow thru the circuit (ripped off from the Li metal) and the resulting Li ions migrate to the other side, going after the electrons?

There is no "after", those processes happen at the same time, but yes.

mfb said:
There is no "after", those processes happen at the same time, but yes.

"After" as in the spatial sense, not temporal. I could have said "following" but it has a temporal meaning as well :-) So the Li ions are sort of dragged along.
Okay, thank you, then!

1. What is the positive electrode in a Li-ion battery?

The positive electrode, also known as the cathode, is the electrode in a Li-ion battery that receives and stores the positively charged ions during the charging process. It is typically made of a lithium-based material, such as lithium cobalt oxide or lithium iron phosphate.

2. How does the positive electrode attract the positively charged ions?

The positive electrode has a higher potential energy compared to the negatively charged electrode, known as the anode. This creates an electrical field that attracts the positively charged ions, allowing them to move from the anode to the cathode during charging.

3. What factors affect the positive electrode's ability to attract ions?

The chemical composition of the positive electrode is a major factor in its ability to attract ions. The structure and particle size of the material also play a role, as well as the temperature and state of charge of the battery. Additionally, the type and concentration of electrolyte used can impact the attraction of ions.

4. How does the positive electrode impact the performance of a Li-ion battery?

The positive electrode is a crucial component in the overall performance of a Li-ion battery. Its ability to efficiently attract and store positively charged ions directly affects the battery's capacity, energy density, and charging speed. The stability and durability of the positive electrode also play a role in the battery's overall lifespan.

5. What advancements have been made in positive electrode technology?

Over the years, scientists have made significant advancements in positive electrode technology to improve the performance and safety of Li-ion batteries. This includes developing new materials, such as lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide (NMC) and lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide (NCA), which offer higher energy densities and longer lifespans. Research is also being done to improve the stability and safety of these materials through coatings and modifications.