Inertial & Non-Inertial Frames: Light Wavelengths

In summary: If you or anyone else has a different opinion then please let me know. In summary, when neglecting gravity and body size, light will travel as longer wavelength when sent from a rotating body to a stationary central body. Conversely, the light will travel as shorter wavelength when sent from the central body to a rotating body.
HALON
When neglecting gravity and body size, if a body rotating at uniform angular velocity about a central body sends a light signal to the central body, the central body will receive the wavelength as longer by [itex]1/γ[/itex]. Conversely, if the central body sends a signal to the rotating body, the rotating body will receive the wavelength as [itex]γ[/itex] times shorter. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
HALON said:
When neglecting gravity and body size, if a body rotating at uniform angular velocity about a central body sends a light signal to the central body, the central body will receive the wavelength as longer by [itex]1/γ[/itex].
The wavelength is longer but I would say by [itex]γ[/itex] times. Or you could say the frequency of the light is slower by a factor of [itex]1/γ[/itex].

HALON said:
Conversely, if the central body sends a signal to the rotating body, the rotating body will receive the wavelength as [itex]γ[/itex] times shorter. Is this correct?
Again, it is shorter but I would say by [itex]1/γ[/itex] times and the frequency is [itex]γ[/itex] times faster.

But this may just be semantics.

Didn't we already talk about this exact same thing in a previous thread of yours? You asked literally the same question in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=762176 and got the same answer ghwellsjr gave you above.

ghwellsjr said:
The wavelength is longer but I would say by [itex]γ[/itex] times. Or you could say the frequency of the light is slower by a factor of [itex]1/γ[/itex].

Again, it is shorter but I would say by [itex]1/γ[/itex] times and the frequency is [itex]γ[/itex] times faster.

But this may just be semantics.

I see your point about the semantics, but essentially we are in agreement.

[EDIT] I began with [itex]γ=(1-v/c)^{1/2}[/itex] for an instant of angular velocity, then [itex]f_{orbit}=f_{central}/γ[/itex], which is simply [itex]1/γ[/itex]
Using [itex]c=fλ[/itex]
we get Orbit's view of light as [itex]c=(1/γ*f)(γλ)[/itex]
And the reciprocal is Central's view of light [itex]c=(γf)(1/γ*λ)[/itex]

WannabeNewton said:
Didn't we already talk about this exact same thing in a previous thread of yours? You asked literally the same question in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=762176 and got the same answer ghwellsjr gave you above.
Yes but... it was the last question I posted on that thread and I didn’t receive your reply. You implicitly answered it earlier in a very detailed (and for me complicated) way, which I took as agreement. Indeed my last question there was also rather longwinded. So I condensed the question (without all the equations) to seek clarification and confirmation.

If ghwellsjr is correct then it satisfies me and this thread may be closed.

Last edited:

Yes, this statement is correct. Inertial frames refer to frames of reference that are not accelerating, while non-inertial frames refer to frames that are accelerating or rotating. In the scenario described, the central body is in an inertial frame while the rotating body is in a non-inertial frame due to its uniform angular velocity.

In this situation, the central body will perceive the wavelength of the light signal from the rotating body as longer due to the phenomenon of time dilation. This is because time appears to pass slower in a non-inertial frame compared to an inertial frame. As a result, the wavelength of the light signal will also appear longer.

Conversely, when the central body sends a light signal to the rotating body, the rotating body will perceive the wavelength as shorter due to the phenomenon of length contraction. This is because objects in motion appear shorter in the direction of their motion. Therefore, the wavelength of the light signal will appear shorter to the rotating body.

Overall, this statement accurately describes the effects of time dilation and length contraction in inertial and non-inertial frames on the perception of light wavelengths.

1. What is the difference between an inertial frame and a non-inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion hold true, meaning that an object will remain at rest or move with a constant velocity unless acted upon by a force. In contrast, a non-inertial frame is a reference frame that is accelerating or rotating, in which Newton's laws do not hold true.

2. How does the wavelength of light change in an inertial frame?

In an inertial frame, the wavelength of light remains constant regardless of the motion of the observer. This is known as the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames.

3. Can the wavelength of light change in a non-inertial frame?

Yes, in a non-inertial frame, the wavelength of light can appear to change due to the effects of acceleration or rotation. This is known as the Doppler effect, where the observed wavelength of light is shifted either towards the blue end (if the observer is accelerating towards the source) or towards the red end (if the observer is accelerating away from the source).

4. How does the speed of light change in different frames?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and independent of the motion of the observer. This means that the speed of light will be the same in both inertial and non-inertial frames.

5. Can the wavelength of light be affected by gravity?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can affect the path of light, causing it to bend as it passes through areas of strong gravitational pull. This can result in a change in the observed wavelength of light, known as gravitational redshift.