Reduce angular momentum from Iw to mvr

In summary, angular momentum is a vector quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. Its equation is L = Iw, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity. Angular momentum is the rotational equivalent of linear momentum and is conserved in a closed system. It can be reduced by decreasing the moment of inertia or the angular velocity. The equation for angular momentum is used in various real-world applications, including planetary motion, spinning objects, and the design of machines and vehicles involving rotational motion.
Aziza
In vector form,

L=Iω.

I am trying to show that for a point particle, this reduces to L=rxp, but am getting an extra factor of r2 :

For the case of a point particle, I=Mr2.
Also, ω=rxv.
Plugging these into L=Iω gives:

L=Mr2(rxv) = r2(rxp).

Thus this reduces to a point particle only for r=1..but that is silly.

I appreciate any help!:)

Physics news on Phys.org

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a object around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the equation for angular momentum?

The equation for angular momentum is L = Iw, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion. Angular momentum is the rotational equivalent of linear momentum, and they are both conserved quantities in a closed system.

How can angular momentum be reduced?

To reduce angular momentum, the moment of inertia can be decreased or the angular velocity can be decreased. This can be accomplished by changing the distribution of mass or changing the speed of rotation of the object.

How is the equation for angular momentum used in real-world applications?

The equation for angular momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, including calculations for the motion of planets and satellites, understanding the behavior of spinning objects such as tops and gyroscopes, and in the design of machines and vehicles that involve rotational motion.