Stress and Strain: Understanding Axial Loading

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of stress in an axial loading scenario, where a weight is placed on a rod. The speaker is struggling to understand why stress would vary along the length of the rod, even if the cross sectional plane remains the same. They are seeking clarification and assistance in understanding this concept.
suryanarayan
Im currently studying a course on the mechanics of solids..the reference book i use is by Popov..But i can't completely understand the concept of stress in an axial loading.Like for instance.

If a weight W acts on a rod(ignore the rod's weight),stress will vary point to point along the length..Since stress is Force/area..Assuming a uniform force distribution,Any point in any cross sectional plane will have the same stress depending on the plane's orientation with the axis of the rod.But i read that this stress varies with length.But if we consider planes parallel to each other(along the length),the areas will be same,How and Why does stress vary??the only way it would vary is if the force W varies along the length.I don't know how it happens..

please help

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The situation you are describing is not clear. Can you provide a page reference in Popov where this discussion takes place?

1. What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to a material per unit area, while strain is the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. In other words, stress is the cause and strain is the effect.

2. How are stress and strain related?

Stress and strain are directly proportional to each other, meaning that as stress increases, strain also increases. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law, and it applies to materials that behave elastically (i.e. return to their original shape after the load is removed).

3. What is axial loading?

Axial loading is a type of stress that is applied to a material along its longitudinal axis. This means that the force is applied in a straight line, either pushing or pulling on the material. Examples of axial loading include stretching a rubber band or compressing a spring.

4. How does a material behave under different types of loading?

Materials can behave differently under different types of loading. For example, under tension (stretching), a material may become longer and thinner, while under compression (squeezing), it may become shorter and wider. Shear loading (parallel forces in opposite directions) can cause a material to deform or break along a plane. Understanding how a material reacts to different types of loading is important in engineering and design.

5. What factors can affect a material's stress and strain response?

There are several factors that can affect a material's stress and strain response, including its composition, microstructure, and temperature. Additionally, the presence of defects or imperfections in the material can also influence its behavior. The type and amount of loading, as well as the duration of the load, can also impact the material's stress and strain response.