Pressure regulator question - Concerning flow rates

In summary, the flow rate through a pressure regulator is determined by the force/pressure balance between the inlet and outlet pressure. Increasing the inlet pressure will cause the poppet to close more, resulting in a decrease in flow rate. The sensitivity of a regulator's performance to various parameters depends on its design, and the performance curves provided are likely showing a maximum flow rate.
thereisnospoo
I see that pressure regulator curves show different flow rates, but I am confused by this because I was under the impression that the flow rate would be an "output" of the force/pressure balance across the pressure regulator.

For example, assuming the inlet to a regulator is 500 kPa, and the outlet is 25 kPa. The flow rate through the regulator is 25 m3/hr.

Say we want to increase that flow rate. Wouldn't we then have to increase the inlet gas pressure? If we increase the inlet gas pressure to 700 kPa, then wouldn't the poppet close a little more to maintain the 25 kPa outlet, and then this would decrease the gas flow rate? So then isn't the flow rate just an "output" of the pressure relationship across the regulator?

I think I'm getting a bit mixed up with the relationship between flow and pressure. If anyone can shed some more light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about posting a link to the regulator and the curves you are considering.

The performance curves will be sensitive to all parameters. A regulator has feedback with a finite loop gain.
How sensitive or insensitive a regulator is to any parameter will depend on the design.

thereisnospoo said:
For example, assuming the inlet to a regulator is 500 kPa, and the outlet is 25 kPa. The flow rate through the regulator is 25 m3/hr.
I assume what they are showing there is a maximum flow rate.

As you say, the flow rate for a regulator is a function of how much the valve poppet is opening and what the inlet and outlet pressure is. The regulator opens/closes to maintain the downstream pressure. That's done by having a force balance between downstream pressure and a spring or some other means.

1. What is a pressure regulator?

A pressure regulator is a device that controls the pressure of a gas or liquid in a system. It maintains a specific pressure level by adjusting the flow rate of the fluid passing through it.

2. How does a pressure regulator work?

A pressure regulator works by using a spring-loaded diaphragm mechanism. As the pressure of the fluid increases, the diaphragm compresses the spring, which in turn reduces the size of the opening and decreases the flow rate. When the pressure drops, the diaphragm expands and allows more fluid to flow through.

3. Why is a pressure regulator important?

A pressure regulator is important because it helps maintain a safe and consistent pressure level in a system. This is critical for the proper functioning of equipment and for ensuring the safety of personnel working with the system.

4. How do I choose the right pressure regulator for my needs?

When choosing a pressure regulator, you need to consider the type of fluid, the pressure range, and the required flow rate. You should also check the compatibility of the materials with the fluid and the environment in which it will be used. It is best to consult with a professional to ensure you select the right regulator for your specific needs.

5. How often should a pressure regulator be checked or replaced?

The frequency of checking or replacing a pressure regulator will depend on the specific system and its usage. It is recommended to regularly inspect the regulator for any signs of wear or damage and to replace it if necessary. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and any industry regulations for maintenance and replacement of pressure regulators.