Suction velocity of different vacuum heads

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the capacity and suction velocity of a dust collection system with four vacuum slots. Measurements were taken at #1 and #2, with a pressure of 1.1 inwc and velocity of 4250 ft/min. The question is posed about the change in suction velocity as the cross-sectional area decreases. It is also asked if the velocity at point #1 is equal to the velocity at the opening at #3. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on whether changing the shape of the vacuum opening will affect the suction velocity or flow rate.
APalmer80
I've been trying calculate the capacity of one of our dust collection systems. It features four vacuum slots lined up (27 inches by 1 inch each) shown as #3 on the diagram attached.

Using a manometer, I took pressure measurements at points #1 and #2. Both were around 1.1 inwc, which translates to about 4250 ft/min. The pipe diameter at #1 is one foot, the pipe diameter at #2 is 8 inches.

I am trying to calculate the suction velocity at a distance x from the vacuum heads. I've been trying to wrap my head around finding this value. I know that my flow rate is: Q = A*V, and that the capacity Q1 in the #1 pipe should be the summation of the capacity of the four openings.

Is velocity going to change as you decrease the cross sectional area of the pipe? According to my measurements, it looks like velocity is staying constant in all ducts. Then the question becomes, is the air velocity at point #1 equal to the velocity at the opening at #3? Or are you increasing the air suction in ft/min as you decrease the area of the opening?

I appreciate any help in advance, thanks.

Attachments

• Pipe Diagram.PNG
    Pipe Diagram.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 558
Engineering news on Phys.org
So to clarify, if I change the vacuum opening from a long rectangle slot of a single 1 inch circle, does the suction velocity increase, or does the flow decrease?

1. What is suction velocity?

Suction velocity is the speed at which air is drawn into a vacuum head, typically measured in meters per second.

2. How does suction velocity affect cleaning performance?

The higher the suction velocity, the more effectively the vacuum head can pick up dirt and debris from surfaces.

3. What factors affect the suction velocity of a vacuum head?

The design and power of the vacuum motor, the surface area of the vacuum head, and the condition of the vacuum filter can all impact the suction velocity.

4. Are there different types of vacuum heads with varying suction velocities?

Yes, there are various types of vacuum heads, such as brush heads, crevice tools, and upholstery tools, each with different surface areas and suction velocities.

5. How can I determine the suction velocity of my vacuum head?

You can measure the suction velocity of your vacuum head using a manometer, a tool that measures air pressure. Alternatively, you can compare the performance of your vacuum head to others with known suction velocities.