Is a Torque Amplifier Design Feasible for a Capstan-Driven Z Axis Lift?

• Thread starter imzautomatiin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a z-axis lift driven by a stepper motor for a bed used for a combo mill and 3D printer. The motor being used is a Nema23 with 1n-m holding torque and calculations have been made to ensure it can lift a maximum payload of 10 kg. The use of a capstan drum and cable routing around pulleys is being considered, but there are concerns about the efficiency of the motor and potential mechanical advantages. The idea of using a torque amplifier to increase the torque is also discussed. The height of the lift is 2 feet and it will be required to travel at a slow speed. Counterbalancing options are also mentioned but are limited by space constraints.
imzautomatiin
Hello guys I am working on a z axis lift driven by stepper to lift and lower the platform precisely . It will be driven by a capstan drum fixed to stepper shaft and cable routing around pulleys . I have a stepper nema23 with 1n-m holding torque . As per my calculation toque required By motor to lift the stage would be FXR since I am looking to design the stage for max payload of 10 kg I assume the motor torque is sufficient but as we know the efficiency of motor is actually less assuming 80% available torque would that be enough since I am running cables through capstan drum with 2-4 wraps and around pulleys will I be having some mechanical advantage so that my motor is capable with available torque? If yes will that be sufficient enough to hold the stage if there is a power failure without slipping I am routing cables similar to this diagram http://www.google.com/patents/US5273352 I also thought of increasing torque with torque amplifier design http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_amplifier is this feasible enough . Waiting for valuable suggestions

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone??

Welcome to PF.

Height?
How fast will it be required to travel?
How often will it change direction?

If slow then counterbalance with mass.
If fast then counterbalance with a spring.

Hi the height is 2feet it's a bed for a combo mill and 3d printer it will be slow a slow speed since it will driven by stepper to lower precisely I thought of counterbalancing the stage but I have a space constraints that's why I thought of going with a torque amplifier route will this work ?

1. What is a Capstan driven z axis and how does it work?

A Capstan driven z axis is a type of mechanism used in machines, such as CNC routers, to control the vertical movement of a tool or workpiece. It consists of a motorized drum, known as a capstan, which rotates a cable or belt to move the z-axis up and down.

2. What are the benefits of using a Capstan driven z axis?

One of the main benefits of a Capstan driven z axis is its ability to provide precise and consistent movements. This is important in tasks such as drilling, cutting, and engraving, where accuracy is crucial. Additionally, Capstan driven z axes are compact and efficient, making them a popular choice in various industries.

3. How do I maintain a Capstan driven z axis?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the smooth operation of a Capstan driven z axis. This includes regularly cleaning and lubricating the mechanism, checking for any wear and tear, and replacing any damaged parts. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and servicing.

4. Can a Capstan driven z axis be used in different types of machines?

Yes, Capstan driven z axes can be used in various types of machines, including CNC routers, lathes, and milling machines. They are also commonly used in robotics and automation systems.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a Capstan driven z axis?

Yes, it is important to follow safety protocols when using a Capstan driven z axis. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensuring the machine is properly secured. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and never attempt to modify or repair the mechanism without proper training and knowledge.