Share Your Favorite Physics Textbooks!

In summary, Daniel wants to learn about textbookson physics and which one is his favorite. He wants advice on which book to choose for each subject and does not care about the amount of math. He recommends the Landau & Lifschitz book on classical field theory and the J.D. Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics" (the 3rd edition) as the best choices.
serali
hi everybody,

I really want to learn your ideas about textbookson physics. which one is your favorite? of course I am not talking about popular books. I want you to say for example:

classical mechanics-landau
quantum mechanics-liboff

but only one book on each subject. thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
What level do you want to achieve...?Excellency?

Daniel.

is he a prince?

He's a mathematician.Surprisingly,even mathematicians can be funny.Alright,name the domains in which you want textbook advice and the the amount of mathematics you're willing to swallow.

Daniel.

I just wanted to learn your favourites... and I don't care about the amount of math. but a good book shouldn't say "we leave the proof as an example..." or "...but the proof of this is beyond the scope of this book...".

Last edited:
You ask for a book on each subject?

Do you know how many subjects there are!

serali said:
I am not looking for advice, I just wanted to learn your favourites... and I don't care about the amount of math. but a good book shouldn't say "we leave the proof as an example..." or "...but the proof of this is beyond the scope of this book...".

anyway, If you insist on giving an advice, I would like one on EMT.

There's no self-contained book.All books have a bibliography,all textbooks have exercises.

Landau & Lifschitz book on classical field theory and J.D.Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics" (the 3rd edition) are the best.

Daniel.

Baggio said:
You ask for a book on each subject?

Do you know how many subjects there are!

sorry.. I should have been more clear.

I am asking about undergrad and gradute level, and the books I ask are on subjects like: geometry and topology, quantum mechanics, particle physics, EMT, classical mechanics...I am not into low dimensional field theories yet...

1. What makes a physics textbook a favorite?

A favorite physics textbook is one that effectively presents complex concepts in a clear and understandable manner. It should also have a good balance of theory and practical applications, as well as engaging examples and exercises.

2. Are there any specific textbooks that are recommended for beginners?

Some popular choices for beginners include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

3. Do physics textbooks vary depending on the level of study?

Yes, physics textbooks can vary in complexity and depth depending on the level of study. For example, introductory textbooks may focus on basic concepts and applications, while advanced textbooks may delve into more complex theories and equations.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a physics textbook?

Yes, there are a variety of online resources such as interactive simulations, video lectures, and practice problems that can supplement a physics textbook. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Stack Exchange.

5. How can I determine which physics textbook is the best fit for me?

It's important to consider your learning style, the level of difficulty you are comfortable with, and any specific topics you are interested in. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from peers or professors to help determine the best fit for you.