Why is my TV better in the rain?

• Thread starter morry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rain
In summary, a family discovered that their TV reception improves when it rains. The father noticed this and decided to spray water on the outdoor antenna with a hose. This could potentially be due to a change in impedance characteristics or a resonance effect caused by the film of water on the antenna. It is a coincidence that the resonance shifted in the direction of the desired TV channel.
morry
Why is my TV better in the rain??

Ok, there is a TV channel that usually has really crappy reception. But dad noticed that it picks up whenever it rains. I looked at him funny the first time, but on a dry day he went and sprayed it with the hose and presto, reception instantly improves.

Ideas anyone? I have nothing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly did he spray?

Water comes out of the hose, I don't know what you call it. :)

:uhh:
Ummm, no. Did he spray water in the air? On the TV itself? What are you talking about?

Averagesupernova said:
Did he spray water in the air?
He sprayed water on the outdoor antenna. It might have something to do with a) the connector linking the antenna to the antenna wire, or b) to a retuning effect on the antenna itself.

hitssquad said:
He sprayed water on the outdoor antenna. It might have something to do with a) the connector linking the antenna to the antenna wire, or b) to a retuning effect on the antenna itself.

Yeah sorry, didnt make that clear enough. No one sprayed anything on the tv itself.

Is it possible that the film of water on the outside of the antenna just increases the antenna's ability to resonate at that specific frequency?

Last edited:
It sounds like the impedance characteristics of the TV antenna, did change with addition of moisture.
This would certainly affect its resonance. I have noticed in operating transmit/receive antennae, they behave differently (greater change in SWR), on rainy days versus dry weather.
For morry's TV antenna, it is a coincidence that the change of resonance shifted in the direction of the desired TV channel. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1. Why does my TV have better reception in the rain?

Rain can actually help improve TV reception because it acts as a natural amplifier for the TV signal. The water droplets in the air can reflect and scatter the TV signal, making it stronger and clearer.

2. How does rain affect the picture quality on my TV?

Rain can sometimes cause a slight degradation in picture quality, but it can also improve it in certain cases. The moisture in the air can create a more stable signal, leading to a better picture. However, heavy rain or storms can disrupt the signal and cause interference.

3. Is it safe to watch TV during a thunderstorm or heavy rain?

It is generally safe to watch TV during a thunderstorm or heavy rain, but it is always recommended to unplug your TV and other electronics during a storm to avoid any potential damage from lightning strikes. It is also important to follow any safety guidelines issued by your local weather authority.

4. Does the type of TV antenna affect reception in the rain?

Yes, the type of TV antenna can affect reception in the rain. Outdoor antennas tend to have better reception in rainy conditions compared to indoor antennas. Additionally, larger and more powerful antennas can also provide better reception in adverse weather conditions.

5. Can rain affect my TV's performance in any other ways?

Heavy rain or storms can sometimes cause power outages, which can affect your TV's performance. It is always recommended to unplug your TV during a storm to avoid any potential damage from power surges. Additionally, if your TV is not properly sealed or shielded, rain can also potentially cause water damage to the internal components.