How does Cherenkov radiation work?

In summary, the faster a charged particle travels through a medium, the more atoms it encounters and the more photons it emits. This increases the intensity of the emitted photons.
raul_l
Hi.
The way I understand it, if a charged particle passes through a medium, it disrupts the EM field in that medium. And that causes the medium's electrons to emit photons in order to restore equilibrium in the positions of the disrupted electrons. Right?
However, I'm not sure where the fact that electrons travel faster than the speed of light in that particular medium comes in. Also, how come higher frequencies of the emitted photons are more intense than lower frequencies? (basically, all of the colours should be represented, but we can only see brilliant blue)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
raul_l said:
Hi.
The way I understand it, if a charged particle passes through a medium, it disrupts the EM field in that medium. And that causes the medium's electrons to emit photons in order to restore equilibrium in the positions of the disrupted electrons. Right?
However, I'm not sure where the fact that electrons travel faster than the speed of light in that particular medium comes in. Also, how come higher frequencies of the emitted photons are more intense than lower frequencies? (basically, all of the colours should be represented, but we can only see brilliant blue)
raul_I,

It's the same principle that creates the "shock front" which causes a sonic boom
as a plane flies faster than the speed of sound.

Think of the track of the particle [ or the plane, if you're more confortable with that];
for all the electrons that the particle disturbed that are behind the current position
of the particle, have relaxed to the ground state and emitted photons.

Those photons have been traveling out at the speed of light in the medium. If the
particle is traveling at less than the speed of light in the medium, any photons
produced now can't ever hope to catch up with the ones that were emitted earlier.

However, if the particle is traveling faster than light in the medium - then the photons
emitted now can "catch up" to the ones that were emitted previously.

Imagine we have a bunch of marathon runners in the back of a pickup truck, and we
let them out one by one along the way. It also takes a finite amount of time for the
runners to climb out of the truck. If the truck is traveling slower than the runners run,
then the later runners can never catch up to the first ones out, since the first ones
got a head start.

However, if the truck speeds out faster than the runners, the truck can get way out
front of the runners, and the latest runner to get out and run, starts up just as the
previous runners are running by where he was let off. The truck speeds off again.

If you keep doing that, then all your runners will be running side-by-side. But in order
to do that - you have to have the truck race ahead of the runners to prepare for the
next runner to get out of the truck.

The only way the truck can race out ahead of the runners is for it to go faster than
the runners.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Ok, the "shock front" thing makes sense. But I still don't understand why higher frequencies are more intense than lower ones. (Sorry, if it is mentioned in your explanation, I just don't see it)

... and come to think of it, I can't entirely cope with the idea of a speeding truck either :) . Why would the photons need to catch up with each other in the first place?

are the runners traveling in the same direction that the truck is moving?

eep said:
are the runners traveling in the same direction that the truck is moving?
Yes.
Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

raul_l said:
... and come to think of it, I can't entirely cope with the idea of a speeding truck either :) . Why would the photons need to catch up with each other in the first place?
raul,

In order to form a wave front that you can see.

If the charged particle causing the excitation is traveling subluminal [ slower than light ],
then all you will have is a stream of single photons of random phase with respect to
each other. They will destructively interfere with each other due to the random phase.

You aren't going to see individual photons - you need to see a bunch of them. Even
then, the bunch of photons that you see can't have random phases - they have to
be phase-aligned so that they form a wave front that you can see.

The faster the particle, the greater the distance it travels in a given time, hence the
greater the number of atoms that the particle encounters and excites into giving off
photons per unit time. The greater the number of photons given off per unit time -
the greater the intensity.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

So the faster the particle goes, the higher the frequency of the emitted photon? How's that? I understand that the speed light should remain the same in the medium. I don't see how the frequency of light depends on the rate of disturbance in the EM field (the speed of the passing charge).

raul_l said:
So the faster the particle goes, the higher the frequency of the emitted photon? How's that? I understand that the speed light should remain the same in the medium. I don't see how the frequency of light depends on the rate of disturbance in the EM field (the speed of the passing charge).
raul,

From CERN - the European nuclear laboratory:

http://rd11.web.cern.ch/RD11/rkb/PH14pp/node26.html

The integrand in the integral for [tex]dN/dI[/tex] is inversely proportional the the square of the wavelength.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does Cherenkov radiation work?

Cherenkov radiation is produced when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium (such as water or air) at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium. When this happens, the particle creates an electromagnetic shockwave in the medium, causing the molecules in the medium to become polarized and emit photons in a cone-like pattern. This is known as Cherenkov radiation.

2. What causes the blue light in Cherenkov radiation?

The blue light in Cherenkov radiation is a result of the frequency of the emitted photons. The faster the particle is traveling, the higher the frequency of the photons, and therefore the bluer the light. This is why Cherenkov radiation is often described as a blue glow or blue light.

3. Is Cherenkov radiation harmful to humans?

No, Cherenkov radiation is not harmful to humans. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs in the environment and is similar to other forms of radiation, such as visible light or radio waves. The energy of the emitted photons is very low and does not pose a threat to human health.

4. Where can Cherenkov radiation be observed?

Cherenkov radiation can be observed in a variety of settings. It is commonly seen in nuclear reactors, where high-speed particles are released during nuclear reactions. It can also be observed in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, where particles are accelerated to extremely high speeds. Cherenkov radiation can also occur in natural phenomena, such as cosmic rays interacting with the Earth's atmosphere.

5. Can Cherenkov radiation be used for any practical applications?

Yes, Cherenkov radiation has several practical applications. It is used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to detect high-energy particles emitted by radioactive tracers. It is also used in particle detectors, such as photomultiplier tubes, to detect and measure the energy of high-energy particles. Additionally, Cherenkov radiation is being studied for potential use in advanced technologies, such as optical computing and nuclear fusion reactions.