So how fast are we actually moving?

• Thread starter Nexus555
  • Start date
In summary, it is not possible to determine the exact speed of the Earth due to the constantly moving universe. Velocity is relative and there is no absolute frame of reference. It is possible for an object to have a relative velocity of 0 m/s in one frame of reference, but still be moving in another. The speed of light is considered the universal speed limit and it is not possible for an object to travel faster than this speed. The true speed of an object can only be determined using different reference frames and taking into account their directions. The cosmic microwave background radiation can be used as a reference point to determine an object's velocity relative to the universe.
Chronos said:
Full circle?

Not quite full circle. Nobody like Chroot :smile:
I found a PF reference:
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-41717.html

(EDIT here's another PF reference---January 2004 post, one or the other of these links should work
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=137931#post137931
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=137931&posted=1#post137931 )

The Local Group speed is about 600 km/second as measured by Smoot et al (recent Nobel for this kind of work)

==quote from a September post of mine==

hello king, you should have asked the direction as well :smile:
I have a fairly recent (2002) online source that may help.
http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0210165

This source is a journal article (Phys. Rev. Series D, 2003) reporting an earlier measurment (Smoot et al) of the speed and direction of the Local Group (as usual wrt CMB)
the result IIRC is that motion is in direction of the constellation Crater
(a small faint constell in southern half of sky) or if you want a brighter marker try Corvus. And it gives the speed as 627+/-22 km/sec.
Part of this could be due, instead, to temperature fluctuation in the CMB itself but not enough to affect the rough idea of about 600 km/s.

the motion of Milky Way wrt center of mass of Local Group is small. It would not be too bad an approximation just to say equate Milky's speed wrt CMB and that of the Local Group. So one can say Milky is going about 600 km/s and in the direction of constellation Crater.

(the constellation stars just mark the direction in space, the other stars in the galaxy are not getting closer to them because they are moving along with the galaxy as well)

the celestial coords given for the Local Group velocity vector are
276 degrees, -33 degrees
so it is in the south hemisphere but not as far south as people usually associate with hydra and centaurus. the "Great Attractor" is in hydra/centaurus. therefore Local Group is not plunging directly at the Great Attractor. Virgo cluster might be, I don't know for sure, but Local deviates a bit from that.

==endquote==

BTW the orientation of the Galaxy as it moves in the Crater direction is sort of like a sailing Frisbee----a little tilted but roughly speaking the direction of motion is approximately in the galaxtic plane. (it's more that than it is parallel to the rotation axis)

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Absolut speed of 0, does exist, this is the speed of an object relative to itself...speed are always relative to a frame of reference.

So this is a "physics forum" and no one corrected the OP who thinks the Earth is orbiting around the sun at 30,000 mph?

whipnet said:
So this is a "physics forum" and no one corrected the OP who thinks the Earth is orbiting around the sun at 30,000 mph?

Wow I'm surprised no one noticed that, the Earth is traveling at 66,622.17 mph.

Ballon said:
Absolut speed of 0, does exist, this is the speed of an object relative to itself...speed are always relative to a frame of reference.
This is directly contradictory. Relative speed is not absolute speed.

DaveC426913 said:
This is directly contradictory. Relative speed is not absolute speed.

two and a half years and still no answer but lots of quibbles
speed of the milky way/local group was given in the first post
how much does the sun motion in the milky way add or subtract to our
movement in one years time plus any other movments

we have known the Earth's speed around the sun
but cancel that as we are talking about a year
so that doesnot matter

the suns speed and direction in its orbit
the milky ways speed and direction in its local group orbit
speed and direction of the motion of the whole local group

THATS THREE VECTORS and SPEEDS
unless there is some other factor
that I am missing
so far we have one vector and speed
please no more quibbles
how about just some data
so HOW FAR DO WE [earth/sun] move in a year
and in what direction

ray b said:
THATS THREE VECTORS and SPEEDS
unless there is some other factor
that I am missing
so far we have one vector and speed
please no more quibbles
how about just some data
so HOW FAR DO WE [earth/sun] move in a year
and in what direction

Two and a half years since it was first answered (in post #2), and still some people are failing to grasp that the question is ambiguous.

How fast are we moving relative to what?

Relative to the speed at which this thread is advancing, aka absolute zero time...

DaveC426913 said:
Two and a half years since it was first answered (in post #2), and still some people are failing to grasp that the question is ambiguous.

How fast are we moving relative to what?

for the 3rd time
the Earth sun position one year ago or one year from now
relative to nothing else
just how far do we move in a year and in what direction
btw your are QUIBBLEING
I SAID NO QUIBBLES
so post some vectors or you are not adding anything at all

Any 'position' is always relative to some landmark, some coordinate system. It appears you are asking for an absolute coordinate system, ray b, where none exists. The CMB reference frame is as good as it gets. I do not see how this is quibbling. We can, of course, deduce our relative postion with respect to some arbitrarily selected galaxies, or even stars within our own galaxy. Neither approach will produce entirely satisfactory results.

Last edited:
ray b said:
btw your are QUIBBLEING
I SAID NO QUIBBLES
We are not quibbling. There is no answer to the question without a reference point.

We are moving relative to the galaxy, which is moving relative to our local group, which is moving relative to our supercluster, which is moving relative to ... what?

It is possible to give you a vector that tells us how we are moving relative to our local supercluster, but that is still relative to some reference point. We do not know what our supercluster is doing because there is no absolute reference frame.

Now stop being so churlish and accept that we're not just jerking your chain. We kind of know a little about this.

P.S. I want to request a new emoticon: : yourarequibblingIsaidnoquibbles : :rofl:

DaveC426913 said:
P.S. I want to request a new emoticon: : yourarequibblingIsaidnoquibbles : :rofl:

hahaha

Also, this may have been said already, but this is taken from "The Big Bang" by Joseph Silk:

The actual measured velocity of the Earth relative to the background radiation is only 390 kilometers/sec; the higher velocity for our galaxy results when account is taken of the Earth's motion around the sun (30 km/s), the solar motion around the galactic center (220 km/s), and the motion of the Milky Way toward the Andromeda galaxy in the local group of galaxies (100 km/s). The net direction of the Local Group's center of mass velocity is about 45 degrees away from the Virgo Cluster, consequently, when account is taken for the Local Group infall, the entire Virgo supercluster is inferred to be moving at a velocity of about 400 kilometers per second toward a region in the southern sky where the Hydra and Centaurus clusters are located. (The Big Bang, by Joseph Silk, p53
)

So, ray b, THE BEST ANSWER YOU ARE GOING TO GET: is 390 kilometers/sec.

Now, no more quibbles!

yes space is growing and everything is moving too so what
there is no fixed grid again so what
I simply made one up

BUT I still don't get why a dated Earth position at x=0 y=0 and z = 0 grid
line the x-axis with the suns motion in orbit around our galixcy's center
and y=90 degrees to x, z points as near as possible to north
wait a full year to cancel Earth orbit movement and where are we NOW
does not give a true reference frame to chart a new location for the earth
after a year has past
and a simple answer to the question of what is our speed and direction

I do understand everything else has moved to
and there is no center of the universe point
but why can't our motion be grafted
with a pick a point now and wait a year reference

Last edited:
Your planet is moving at a rate of 1.17936 condules per rotation, and is in danger of wandering into intergalatic transform tube 17A - you are advised to change course immediately or you may be sturgwolled by a passing freighter, you will receive no further warnings.

How do you mark that spot?

ray b said:
yes space is growing and everything is moving too so what
there is no fixed grid again so what
I simply made one up

BUT I still don't get why a dated Earth position at x=0 y=0 and z = 0 grid
line the x-axis with the suns motion in orbit around our galixcy's center
and y=90 degrees to x, z points as near as possible to north
wait a full year to cancel Earth orbit movement and where are we NOW
does not give a true reference frame to chart a new location for the earth
after a year has past
and a simple answer to the question of what is our speed and direction

I do understand everything else has moved to
and there is no center of the universe point
but why can't our motion be grafted
with a pick a point now and wait a year reference

OK, so you mentioned our galaxy's center. Is that what you'd like to use as your frame of reference? You could calculate our movement around the sun and the sun's movemnt through the galaxy with the galaxy as the non-rotating reference point.

Of course, it would ignore any movement of our galaxy within the cluster...

All that aside, you won't get a very useful answer. The sum of these vectors means very little. Picture a marble in a roulette wheel that is in the back of a van driving down a north-running street. You are asking for the position of the marble after ten seconds - summing the movement of the marble on the roulette wheel with the movement of the van down the road, with reference to some point outside the van. OK, so in ten seconds the marble has moved pi radians clockwise and 100 yards north, or something like 100.05 yards North-by-northwest.

Integral said:
Good one, good one.

Integral said:

in your mind
anyone really think you can draw an X in space
or that there is any need to
nobodys going to meassure back to it anyway
no you just set the X Y & Z at zero and see how far away
the Earth travels in a year

I really doNOT see what's so hard to grasp here

Last edited:
Ok well we have already established that we are moving at 390km/s. There are 31,557,000 (about) seconds in a year. So after one year, the Earth has moved 12,307,230,000 kilometers.

Hows that?

or 33.7 million kilometers a day

Well, ray, marking an 'X' in 'space' is the essence of your original argument. We argued this is a purely arbitrary [and meaningless] exercise. Sounds like you are shifting the goal posts.

ray b said:
in your mind
anyone really think you can draw an X in space
or that there is any need to
nobodys going to meassure back to it anyway
no you just set the X Y & Z at zero and see how far away
the Earth travels in a year

I really doNOT see what's so hard to grasp here

Ray, how do you ensure that your X is not moving? If we did this for real, we'd be in orbit (around the sun, if not around the Earth) and when we dropped the X it too would be in orbit. We would have to apply a counter-force to "bring it to rest". But we don't know what "rest" is. No matter what thought experiment you devise to drop the X and bring it to rest, there is no way even in principle of making it stop without us knowing what "stop" is, and then applying forces to bring it there.

Thus is the nature of "[URL first law[/URL]. As we sail through space, we have no way of determining that we are moving except in relation to some chosen reference point.

Quantum_Grid said:
Ok well we have already established that we are moving at 390km/s. There are 31,557,000 (about) seconds in a year. So after one year, the Earth has moved 12,307,230,000 kilometers.

Hows that?

Isn't this the answer he is looking for? Can we not consider this matter closed? In the words of ray b, can we stop the "quibbles"

Quantum_Grid said:

Hows that?

So you claim we know precisely EVERY component of the Earth's motion?

I doubt it. how well do we know the galactic motion? How about the motion of our super cluster? The idea that we can precisely locate and record the exact location of some point is space is ludicrous. It simply cannot be done.

Last edited:
And, of course, the correct answer is somewhere between 0 and c.

;)

DaveC426913 said:
Ray, how do you ensure that your X is not moving? If we did this for real, we'd be in orbit (around the sun, if not around the Earth) and when we dropped the X it too would be in orbit. We would have to apply a counter-force to "bring it to rest". But we don't know what "rest" is. No matter what thought experiment you devise to drop the X and bring it to rest, there is no way even in principle of making it stop without us knowing what "stop" is, and then applying forces to bring it there.

Thus is the nature of "[URL first law[/URL]. As we sail through space, we have no way of determining that we are moving except in relation to some chosen reference point.

well if the universe rotates that could be another speed and direction
but no I don't see a need to deorbit a big X to mark the spot
or a huge multi yard stick to measure back to it
but we do move a given amount in a year none the less

ok but is the 390kms simple addition of speeds or true vectors
and what is the direction
before the quibble gang gets going
yes I know orbits are curved
but in a one year time frame
they should be near enuff to straight
not to matter very much

Integral said:
So you claim we now precisely EVERY component of the Earth's motion?

I doubt it. how well do we know the galactic motion? How about the motion of our super cluster? The idea that we can precisely locate and record the exact location of some point is space is ludicrous. It simply cannot be done.

No! I didn't claim that at all! I was referring to the mean velocity with respect to the microwave background. I think that's the best guess we can make as to our velocity, but I definitely did not say anything about precise!

ray b said:
well if the universe rotates that could be another speed and direction
No. This is one thing that cannot be. Since there is no frame of reference external to the universe, there can be no movement or rotation of it.

ray b said:
but no I don't see a need to deorbit a big X to mark the spot
or a huge multi yard stick to measure back to it
:sigh: The fact that you do not see the need for things does not mean the need is not there.

ray b said:
but we do move a given amount in a year none the less

ok but is the 390kms simple addition of speeds or true vectors
and what is the direction
before the quibble gang gets going
yes I know orbits are curved
but in a one year time frame
they should be near enuff to straight
not to matter very much
You do realize that in a one year time frame, the Earth returns to its original location. So, the distance traveled is zero.

Thus, the only relevant movement left is the sun's movement around the galaxy. The sun is supposed to make one orbit of the galaxy in about 260 million years, so that's 360 / 260,000,000 = 1.4x10^-6 degrees.

yes the year was picked to cancel out the Earth orbit
sun moves in the galaxy
galaxy moves in the local group
local group moves too
so far more then the sun is in motion

everything else spins in the universe
so why can't the whole thing spin too
and I don't think the universe cares
if you think it cannot move
but I agree we cannot tell what it is doing
but that ain't the same as not moving

ray b said:
yes the year was picked to cancel out the Earth orbit
sun moves in the galaxy
galaxy moves in the local group
local group moves too
so far more then the sun is in motion

everything else spins in the universe
so why can't the whole thing spin too
and I don't think the universe cares
if you think it cannot move
but I agree we cannot tell what it is doing
but that ain't the same as not moving

I don't suppose you would consider using standard punctuation and capitalization rather than iambic pentameter?

DaveC426913 said:
You do realize that in a one year time frame, the Earth returns to its original location. So, the distance traveled is zero.

For large values of zero, anyway.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't suppose you would consider using standard punctuation and capitalization rather than iambic pentameter?

I think the single most useless thing
in life is an english major
except maybe a grammar nazi

ray b said:
I think the single most useless thing
in life is an english major
except maybe a grammar nazi
Here is the relevant bit of Forum Rules that you agreed to when you signed up:

In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.