The Lagrangian for a free particle

In summary, the conversation is discussing the second term on the right side of the equation in the expression L(v'^2) = L(v^2 + 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \epsilon^2). By expanding the expression in powers of \vec{\epsilon} and neglecting terms above first order, it is shown that the only terms that survive are those corresponding to L(v^2) plus \frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2} times 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}. This is due to the Lagrangian depending only on the square of velocity in the unprimed frame, and can be understood using the mean value theorem.
qoqosz
According to Landau textbook:

Having two inertial frames K and K' moving with velocities [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{v'}=\vec{v} + \vec{\epsilon}[/tex] where [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] is an infinitesimal. We have [tex]L' = L(v'^2) = L (v^2 + 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \epsilon^2)[/tex]. Expanding this expression in powers of [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] and neglecting terms above first order, we obtain: [tex]L(v'^2) = L(v^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}[/tex].

I simply don't understand how the second term on the right of the equation is of that form, i.e. why we differentiate with respect to v^2?
According to my calculations it should look like:

[tex]L(v'^2) \approx L(v^2) + \frac{\partial L (v^2)}{\partial \vec{\epsilon}} \vec{\epsilon} \cdot (2 \vec{v} + \vec{\epsilon} ) \approx L(v^2) + \frac{\partial L (v^2)}{\partial \vec{\epsilon}}2 \vec{\epsilon} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way I can put it is that in the unprimed frame the Lagrangian depends just on the square of the velocity, and if [tex]L(v^{2})[/tex] is a polynomial function or put it in terms of the Taylor expansion, the only terms that survive after taking into account those at first order in [tex]\overrightarrow{\varepsilon }[/tex] are precisely those corresponding to [tex]L(v^{2})[/tex] plus [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^{2}}[/tex] times [tex]2\overrightarrow{\varepsilon }\bullet \overrightarrow{v}[/tex]..., since is the factor corresponding in this polynomial expansion. Remember Pascal's triangle?
1 1
1 2 1
1 3 3 1 ... the surviving terms are the first two and the factors different to 1 corresponds to [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^{2}}[/tex] in the mentioned expansion.

I don't get it. Why there's [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}[/tex]? If we expand function in Taylor series (taking [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] as an independent variable) there should be only derivatives in respect to that var (epsilon).

-edit-
I think I got it - from mean value theorem we have: [tex]\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} \approx f'(x), h \to 0[/tex], so: [tex]L( (v+\epsilon)^2 ) \approx L (v^2) + \frac{\partial L (v^2)}{\partial v^2} (v^2)' \epsilon[/tex] :)

Last edited:
Right, but what I was referring with the partial derivative not was the derivatives in the taylor expansion, but to the terms that are left after this polynomial expansion. However, is much simpler the last by you.

What is the Lagrangian for a free particle?

The Lagrangian for a free particle is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a particle moving without any external forces acting on it. It is a function of the particle's position and velocity, and is used to calculate the path or trajectory of the particle over time.

What does the Lagrangian for a free particle tell us?

The Lagrangian for a free particle tells us the total energy of the particle, as well as how it changes over time. It also provides information about the particle's momentum and its direction of motion.

How is the Lagrangian for a free particle related to Newton's laws of motion?

The Lagrangian for a free particle is related to Newton's laws of motion through the principle of least action. This principle states that the path a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This is equivalent to Newton's second law, which states that the force on a particle is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian over other methods?

One advantage of using the Lagrangian over other methods is that it allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of the equations of motion. It also provides a more general framework that can be applied to a wide range of systems, rather than being limited to specific cases.

Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for a free particle?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Lagrangian for a free particle. It assumes that the particle is moving in a vacuum and does not take into account any external forces or interactions. It also does not account for relativistic effects, such as the speed of light. Additionally, it may not be as intuitive for some as other methods, such as Newton's laws of motion.