Dose E=hn means quantization of energy?

In summary, the equation E=nhf involves frequency f after quantization because the unit of energy (E) is Joule, while the unit of Plank's constant (h) is Joule times a second. Therefore, in order for the equation to be correct, h must be multiplied by a unit that represents the inverse of time, as energy and frequency are both quantized.
athrun200
I have an example class yesterday, but one question troubled me.

In part (b), why does E=nhf?
For me, it seems E=nh is enough, why does the equation involve frequency f after quantization?

Attachments

• e=hn.jpg
    e=hn.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
One answer might be: The unit of E (energy) is a Joule, the unit of h (Plank's constant) is Joule time a second. If you want the equation to be correct you need to multiply h with something that has units of 1 over a second.Roman.

athrun200 said:
In part (b), why does E=nhf?
For me, it seems E=nh is enough, why does the equation involve frequency f after quantization?

What do you mean "E = nh is enough"? That equation is not correct, because as pointed out above, the units are not correct.

h = energy per cycle.
f = number of cycles per unit of time.
your quantization must include a quantization of time.

Thanks! I have forgotten to consider the unit.

Energy within a single system is quantized, but there are different energies that result from following the E=nh model in different systems, so if you consider every possible system energy is continuous, just like the light spectrum.

1. What does the equation "Dose E=hn" mean?

The equation "Dose E=hn" refers to the relationship between energy (E) and frequency (n) in quantum mechanics. It states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency.

2. How does this equation relate to the quantization of energy?

This equation is one of the fundamental principles of quantization of energy, which states that energy exists in discrete packets or quanta rather than being continuous. The equation shows that the energy of a photon can only take on specific values determined by its frequency.

3. What is "quantization" of energy?

Quantization of energy is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that energy exists in discrete, specific amounts (quanta) rather than being continuous. In other words, energy cannot take on any value, but only certain specific values.

4. Why is "quantization" of energy important in science?

Quantization of energy is important in science as it helps explain many phenomena at the atomic and subatomic level. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and energy in quantum mechanics, which is essential in fields such as particle physics and chemistry.

5. How was the equation "Dose E=hn" discovered?

The equation "Dose E=hn" was first proposed by German physicist Max Planck in 1900. He was trying to explain the observed behavior of radiation emitted by hot objects, which could not be explained by classical physics. Planck's equation laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and earned him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.