Nonexact Differential Equation (Possible to solve by integrating factor?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve the differential equation t^2 y' + y^2 = 0 using an integrating factor. The individual is initially curious if it can be solved this way, but ultimately realizes that it is not an exact equation and seeks help in finding an integrating factor. The conversation also mentions the possibility of solving it via separation of variables.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation: [itex]t^2 y' + y^2 = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, it's definitely possible to solve this via separable of variables. But I am curious to know if I can solve it with an integrating factor. Having done some reading, I noticed that this equation is nearly in the form of an exact differential. Rewriting:

[itex]t^2 y' + y^2 = 0 = t^2 \frac{dy}{dt} + y^2[/itex], implies,
[itex]t^2 dy + y^2 dt = 0 = y^2 dt + t^2 dy[/itex].

Unfortunately, letting [itex]M(x,y) = y^2[/itex] and [itex]N(x,y) = t^2[/itex] and then taking derivatives shows [itex]M_y = 2y ≠ N_t = 2t[/itex], so it looks like an exact equation isn't going to emerge from this.

In the event that the equation is not exact, an integrating factor is typically sought. The problem is, I don't know how to go about finding such an thing. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try with this: [itex]\frac{dy}{y^2} + \frac{dt}{t^2} = 0[/itex] :wink:

TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation: [itex]t^2 y' + y^2 = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, it's definitely possible to solve this via separable of variables.

hikaru1221 said:
You can try with this: [itex]\frac{dy}{y^2} + \frac{dt}{t^2} = 0[/itex] :wink:

I think he know that.
@TranscendArcu: It is not a given that a given first order DE can be solved by an integrating factor in any practical fashion, even if you can solve it by separation of variables.

1. What is a nonexact differential equation?

A nonexact differential equation is an equation that cannot be solved using traditional methods of integration. In other words, the variables in the equation are not directly proportional to each other, making it difficult to find a solution.

2. How do you know if a differential equation is nonexact?

A differential equation is nonexact if the coefficients of the variables do not match up, or if the equation cannot be simplified by using basic algebraic methods.

3. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to transform a nonexact differential equation into an exact one. It is usually a function of one of the variables in the equation.

4. Can all nonexact differential equations be solved using an integrating factor?

No, not all nonexact differential equations can be solved using an integrating factor. Some may require more advanced methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an appropriate transformation.

5. What are the steps for solving a nonexact differential equation using an integrating factor?

The steps for solving a nonexact differential equation using an integrating factor are as follows: 1. Identify the equation as nonexact.2. Find the integrating factor by multiplying the equation by a function of one of the variables.3. Use the integrating factor to transform the equation into an exact one.4. Solve the exact equation using traditional methods of integration.5. Check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure that it satisfies all conditions.