Finding volume of area revolved around x axis

In summary: But the answer should be positive, not negative.In summary, the volume of the solid of revolution formed by revolving the region bounded by the x-axis and the curve y = 4-x^2 about the x-axis is (512/15)pi. To find this volume, the integral pi * (4-x^2)^2 dx must be evaluated with limits from -2 to 2. The roots of the quadratic equation, which correspond to the points where the curve touches the x-axis, must be used as the limits.
togo

Homework Statement

The area bounded by the x-axis and curve
y = 4-x^2

is rotated about x-axis, find the volume.

Homework Equations

[integral] pi y^2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

2mmwi9k.jpg

the answer is supposed to be 512/15 pi

Physics news on Phys.org
togo said:

Homework Statement

The area bounded by the x-axis and curve
y = 4-x^2

is rotated about x-axis, find the volume.

Homework Equations

[integral] pi y^2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

2mmwi9k.jpg

the answer is supposed to be 512/15 pi
Your answer is equivalent to (256/15)π .

That's 1/2 of the given correct answer.

Where does y = 4-x2 intercept the x-axis ?

[If you know how to find the volume of solid of revolution then you can skip to the equations at the bottom of my post.]

Ok, first go through this website:

http://curvebank.calstatela.edu/volrev/volrev.htm
As you can see, when you revolve a curve about the x-axis, you get a bunch of circles stacked on top of each other. The radius of each circle is equal to the height from the x-axis to the edge of the circle, which is the y-value at that point of the curve. Thus, the formula becomes pi * f(x)^2 with an integral having limits which depend on how much of the curve you revolve.

If you graph the curve, (I cheated and used the grapher app on mac), you can find and locate the region bounded by the curve and the x axis. You will be able to see that the points where the curve touches the x-axis are none other than the roots of the quadratic equation.

To recap:

For f(x), use the equation 4-x^2

For the limits, solve the quadratic equation for the x intercepts, and use those as the limits.

Finally, solve the integral with the limits as the x intercepts, and the function as 4-x^2.

Your final equation should be:

[itex]\int _{ intercept1 }^{ intercept2 }{ \pi (4-{ x }^{ 2 })\quad dx } [/itex]

[[STRIKE]I'm too lazy to find the roots.[/STRIKE] Finding the roots will be good practice for you and should be easy if you've passed algebra I]

Last edited:
I could have answered that easily. Zeros are 2 and -2.

You appear to have integrated from 0 to 2. But nothing is said about the y-axis being a boundary.

Also, you leave [itex]\pi[/itex] out until the last step. That's very confusing.

Understood. I did integrate with 2 only. So I should be integrating from -2 to 2. I quickly did that calculation and came up with -48.93333 using the -2. That can't be right.

so you're saying that -2 and 2 shouldn't be used since the y-axis is not a boundary?

EDIT: I got it, integrating -2 answer -17.067

Last edited:
togo said:
Understood. I did integrate with 2 only. So I should be integrating from -2 to 2. I quickly did that calculation and came up with -48.93333 using the -2. That can't be right.

so you're saying that -2 and 2 shouldn't be used since the y-axis is not a boundary?

EDIT: I got it, integrating -2 answer -17.067
If you integrate this function, which is even, from -2 to 2, you should get twice the result that you get by integrating from 0 to 2.

What is the formula for finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis?

The formula for finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis is V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) represents the function defining the area and the integral is taken with respect to x.

What is the difference between finding the volume of a solid and finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis?

The difference between finding the volume of a solid and finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis lies in the shape of the object. While finding the volume of a solid involves calculating the amount of space inside a 3-dimensional object, finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis involves calculating the amount of space inside the 3-dimensional shape created by revolving a 2-dimensional area around the x axis.

Can the formula for finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis be used for any shape?

Yes, the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx can be used for any shape as long as the function f(x) defining the area is known. This formula is especially useful for finding the volume of complex 3-dimensional shapes that cannot be easily calculated using traditional methods.

What are the units for the volume of an area revolved around the x axis?

The units for the volume of an area revolved around the x axis will depend on the units of the function f(x). For example, if f(x) is given in meters, the volume will be in cubic meters (m^3). It is important to make sure all units are consistent when using this formula.

Are there any situations where the formula for finding the volume of an area revolved around the x axis cannot be used?

Yes, there are certain situations where the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx cannot be used. This formula assumes that the 2-dimensional area being revolved is continuous and has a single defining function f(x). If the area is discontinuous or has multiple defining functions, a different method must be used to find the volume.