Holiday Recipes: Looking for Oyster Cracker Snack Mix Recipe

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
In summary: I'm hungry...In summary, a forum member asked if anyone had the recipe for an oyster cracker snack mix. Another member provided the original recipe, which includes ingredients such as salad oil, Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, dill weed, and lemon pepper. The conversation then turns to other recipes, such as a smoked almond pinecone appetizer and a Tex-Mex dip. Finally, someone shares a recipe for a Secret Hot Wassail, perfect for the holiday season.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My guess is none of you thought you'd ever see me asking if anyone on this forum has the recipe for something. Well, you were wrong. :rofl:

Wondering if anyone has the recipe for the oyster cracker snack mix? I know it has dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing and of course oyster crackers. That's all I know about it other than that they are INCREDIBLY good.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the REAL ORIGINAL recipe. I had to go dig up my 20 year old recipe file with the original cut out of a magazine, not a single version I found online was correct.

3/4 cup salad oil
1 pkg (1.0 oz) Hidden Valley Ranch Milk Recipe dry package (not the one you mix with buttermilk)
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp lemon pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
12-16 oz plain oyster crackers

(I use a large shallow roasting pan)

Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Pour over crackers, stirring to coat.

Place on baking sheets (or shallow roasting pan) and bake at 275F for 15-20 minutes.

Maked 11-12 cups.

Last edited:
Woooo Hooooooo!

:smile: Evo you are such a dear! Thank you so very much! :!)

Averagesupernova said:
:smile: Evo you are such a dear! Thank you so very much! :!)
You're very welcome, I love these!

I've never heard of those before, but they sure sound yummy! Now if only I had oyster crackers and dry ranch dressing around to make some. :rolleyes: Thanks for making me extra hungry (I just realized the cafeteria closes in 10 min, and it's going to be another 10 min before I have a long enough break to go get food :cry:).

If you search the Archives using google, you'll find this thread cached:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:QP4GrCRhGtUJ:www.physicsforums.com/archive/t-79095_Snack_recipes.html+oyster+rachmaninoff+site:www.physicsforums.com&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

rachmaninoff said:
2 packages oyster crackers
2 packages Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (dry stuff)
1 tsp dill
1 Tblsp lemon pepper
?? garlic
2/3 cup oil (vegetable?)

just mix

edit: to clarify, you mix everything in a closed container - like a ziploc bag, and then set it aside for a half hour (so the oil gets absorbed).

This method is superior because of it's simplicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems I've started something. Are there any other tasty holiday treat recipes anyone wants to share?

Averagesupernova said:
It seems I've started something. Are there any other tasty holiday treat recipes anyone wants to share?
So glad you asked, let me find my smoked almond pine cone recipe. :approve:

This is sooooo yummy! And looks really cute!

Almond Cheese Pinecone

Serves/Yields: 16
Category: Appetizers
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups almonds, whole
1 package cream cheese -- (8 ounces)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is best. DO NOT use Miracle Whip!)
5 each bacon slices -- crisply cooked
1 tablespoon green onion -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions
Spread almonds in single layer in shallow pan. Bake at 300 degrees, 15 minutes, stirring often, until almonds just begin to turn color. (I substitute smoked almonds and skip this step)

Combine softened cream cheese and mayonnaise; mix well. Add bacon, onion, dill and pepper; mix well. Cover; chill overnight.

Form cheese mixture into pinecone shape on serving platter. Beginning at narrow end, press almonds at slight angle into cheese mixture in rows. Continue overlapping rows until all cheese is covered. It will look like a pinecone. Garnish with artificial pine sprigs. (parsley is fine) Serve with crackers.

Source: Blue Diamond Almonds

Last edited:
Tex-Mex dip

(This is my favorite version of the layered dip) Please don't substitute some nasty avocado flavored dip for the guacamole layer. :mad:

Tex-Mex Dip

Ingredients:

1 regular size can of Fritos brand Jalapeno bean dip
2-3 med avocados, 1/4 lemon, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, salt & pepper (or 1 can frozen Calavos guacamole)
1 8oz carton of sour cream (1 cup)
1/2 cup Hellman's Mayonaise
1 pkg taco seasoning (McCormick's or Lawry's works best)
8 oz grated colby or cheddar cheese
4-5 green onions (chopped)
1-2 tomatoes chopped and seeded
small can chopped or sliced black olives (optional)

8"x8" serving dish

1st layer: Spread one can jalepeno bean dip evenly over bottom of dish

2nd layer: In separate bowl, mash together avocadoes, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper to taste (or use thawed guacamole) spread evenly over bean dip layer

3rd layer: In separate bowl, mix the sour cream, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1 package taco seasoning mix together. Spread evenly over guacamole layer.

4th layer: Sprinkle chopped tomato, green onions and black olives evenly over top.

5th layer: sprinkle with cheese, then bring it over to my house because I'm too lazy to make it and I really want some. :redface:

Oh yeah, don't forget the chips. And as long as your coming over, bring some frozen margaritas.

All right, we need some special recipes for Christmas & New Year! Come on guys, surely you have some favorites.

Here is a Secret Hot Wassail Recipe

8 Quarts Apple Cider
12 oz Orange Juice
8 oz Pineapple Juice
4 oz real lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 cinnamon Sticks
4 Whole Cloves

Stir together the above ingredients. Simmer in a crockpot, or on the stove top. Makes 55 six ounce cups.

I'm nearsighted from all this studying... I was certain you'd typed "crackpot".

rachmaninoff said:
I'm nearsighted from all this studying... I was certain you'd typed "crackpot".
That would yeild 55 six ounce "cranks".

Evo - That Wassail sounds good!

"Then here's to the maid in the lily white smock
Who tripped to the door and slipped back the lock
Who tripped to the door and pulled back the pin
For to let these jolly wassailers in.

Wassail! wassail! all over the town,
Our toast it is white and our ale it is brown;
Our bowl it is made of the white maple tree;
With the wassailing bowl , we'll drink to thee!"

/me takes a swig

Evo said:
All right, we need some special recipes for Christmas & New Year! Come on guys, surely you have some favorites.

Sorry Evo, I'm the one asking for recipes because I'm totally uncreative when it comes to cooking. So I have nothing to add to this except what you've said in the above quote. :cry:

They sound really good. Do you live close to me? :rofl:

I don't know, where do you live?

Ok, here is another one of my favorites from when I was young.

No cooking required, anyone can make these, you don't even need a kitchen.

Rum Balls

1 cup finely crushed Vanilla Wafers (Nilla Vanilla)

1 cup confectioner's sugar

1 1/2 cup chopped pecans

2 Tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)

2 Tbsp light corn syrup

1/4 cup dark rum

Coating

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Crush wafers into fine crumbs. In a large bowl, mix crumbs, confectioner's sugar, 1 1/2 c pecans & cocoa. Add corn syrup and rum and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on waxed paper so they don't stick before you coat them.

Coating - Roll half of the balls in granulated sugar and the other half in chopped pecans. Makes 2 dozen.

Evo said:

http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm43.showMessage?topicID=45.topic
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm12.showMessage?topicID=26.topic
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm120.showMessage?topicID=4.topic
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm9.showMessage?topicID=8.topic

All guaranteed to please. :cool:

Tom Mattson said:
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm43.showMessage?topicID=45.topic
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm12.showMessage?topicID=26.topic
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm120.showMessage?topicID=4.topic
http://p212.ezboard.com/ffoodnetworkfansfrm9.showMessage?topicID=8.topic
All guaranteed to please. :cool:
Whoa, Tom Mattson chef extraordinaire? :approve: Those look great Tom! I didn't know you could cook!

Evo said:
Whoa, Tom Mattson chef extraordinaire? :approve:

No, just a talented amateur. But with the help of my mom, my roommate (who is a chef), and Food TV, I can fake it. :blushing:

Those look great Tom! I didn't know you could cook!

Well, I've lived 800 miles away from home cooking for the last 13 years, I spent most of that time single, and I have an Italian half that can't be happy without good food. My choices were to either learn to cook or wither away to nothing. What would you do? :tongue2:

Evo said:
Rum Balls
1 cup finely crushed Vanilla Wafers (Nilla Vanilla)
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 Tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 cup dark rum
Coating
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
Crush wafers into fine crumbs. In a large bowl, mix crumbs, confectioner's sugar, 1 1/2 c pecans & cocoa. Add corn syrup and rum and mix well. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on waxed paper so they don't stick before you coat them.
Coating - Roll half of the balls in granulated sugar and the other half in chopped pecans. Makes 2 dozen.
Drop the pecans, make it 2 cups of rum, and I'm in! Serves one (for about an hour).

I call these Moon Cookies and my girls LOVE these.

Box of Ritz Crackers
Peanut Butter (smooth)
Crisco (optional)
white almond bark (white chocolate, summer coating)

This is something that you just need to get the hang of doing, luckily the failures are quite tasty. :approve:

Spread a thin-medium layer of peanut butter evenly over the entire top of a ritz cracker. Top with another plain ritz cracker to form a sandwich. (I make them so that the bottoms of the crackers face out). Wipe off any peanut butter around the edges. Make as many as you want.

In a small dish, melt almond bark carefully in a microwave (you may want to add a bit of crisco to get a thinner consistency)

Dip the "sandwiches" into the melted almond bark to coat completely, place on wax paper to cool. (hint:I use two small shrimp cocktail forks to "hold" the sandwich while I am dipping to keep my fingers off the cookies)

Trial and error will teach you how much peanut butter to use and how thick or thin you want the almond bark coating. I am a perfectionist and have this down to a science. :blushing:

Last edited:
Chocolate poo, uhm, piles

I can't get enough of this stuff.

12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (1 bag)
1 can (5 oz.) chow mein noodles
1 cup salted peanuts

Melt chocolate carefully (either in the microwave or in a double boiler), stir often to avoid burning. Remove from heat and add nuts and carefully mix in the noodles to avoid breaking.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets that have been lined with wax paper or parchment. Chill or let harden for 8 hours or overnight.

It'll take me forever to get through all of these. LOL

The oyster crackers are EXCELLENT. I'll let you know when/if I get to some of the others.

i was looking at Tom's recipes and they all sound really yummy, cept no way can i cook like that. The apple one looked really good though... but how to i core an apple without putting a hole in the bottom?
Evo's wassail looks really good too! its too bad I'm such a picky eater, cause a lot of the othe recipes look good, cept they have icky nuts!

Thought I'd bump this up for the holidays. Great holiday party food.

Sweet spiced nuts...yummy good stuff, and they make a great gift to bring along to a party.

Ingredients
1 egg white
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups nuts of choice {I love pecans and walnuts}
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of saltPreheat the oven to 350°F.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg white lightly with the water. Add nuts and toss well.

In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and cornstarch with the spices and pinch of salt. Lift the nuts out of the egg-white mixture, leaving the extra in the bowl, and transfer them to the spice mixture, tossing well. Arrange the nuts in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan lined with baking parchment or aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.

MIH's cocktail party made me think of this.

These are a holiday favorite of mine since I was a little girl and my girls ask for them every Christmas.

Cherry Winks

Ingredients

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
2 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
10 maraschino cherries, quartered

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
Cream the shortening with the sugar. Blend in the eggs, milk and vanilla.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chopped pecans, chopped dates and 1/3 cup maraschino cherries.

Shape teaspoonful sized chunks of dough into balls. Roll each ball in the crushed corn flakes. Place balls on the prepared baking sheets and top each cookie with 1/4 maraschino cherry.

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in airtight containers.

My mom used to make a delicious rum cake. Frankly, I think it was just normal yellow cake, doused in rum. Very yummy :biggrin:.

lisab said:
My mom used to make a delicious rum cake. Frankly, I think it was just normal yellow cake, doused in rum. Very yummy :biggrin:.
Works for me. :tongue2:

The world's only edible fruitcake. It should be called pecan cake. Years ago I brought this into work for our Christmas party at work. My district manager came by and said she hated fruitcake, but she'd taste it. She took a slice and walked off. She came over to me after the party wanting the recipe, she said she had been converted.

I can't stand fruitcake, but this would make my list of what I want for my last meal.

MRS. HARVEY'S WHITE FRUITCAKE

4 cups shelled pecans

3/4 pound candied cherries

1 pound candied pineapple

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 pound butter

1 cup sugar

5 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

3 tsps vanilla extract

3 tsps lemon extract

Chop nuts and fruit into medium-size pieces; dredge

with 1/4 cup of flour. Cream butter and sugar together

until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Sift together

remaining flour and baking powder; fold into butter-egg

mixture. Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts. Blend in

fruit and nuts.

Grease a 10-inch tube pan.

Line with parchment, wax paper or foil; grease again.

Pour batter into prepared pan or pans. Place in cold

oven and bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours in tube pan

or 2 hours in 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans at 250 degrees. Check cakes 1 hour before done and again in 30 minutes. When done, remove

from oven; cool in pans on cake rack.

Makes 5 pounds of fruitcake.

Note: In 4 1/2-by-2 1/2-by-1 1/2-inch (baby) loaf pans,

bake cake about 1 hour. For 1-pound cakes in 2-pound

coffee cans, bake about 2 hours. In 5-ounce custard

cups, bake about 1 hour. And in ungreased foil bonbon

cups, bake about 30 minutes.

Evo said:
Rum Balls...

I have a very happy memory from when my siblings and I were young (I was certainly in elementary school or younger), and my mother made rum balls for the holidays. Rum balls never reappeared after that, yet I've always felt their absence.

My real holiday yummy, however, is springerles. They're the prettiest cookies EVER, and we use my great-grandma's recipe. My mother uses great-grandma's old mold (I use the press of an old butter-mold). I still have to dig out the recipe. (Current holiday prep involves making little E's holiday dress, as well as just finishing up the term.)

Last edited:

1. What ingredients do I need to make Oyster Cracker Snack Mix?

To make Oyster Cracker Snack Mix, you will need 1 pound of oyster crackers, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 1 packet of ranch dressing mix, 1 tablespoon of dried dill weed, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of onion powder.

2. Can I substitute the vegetable oil with another type of oil?

Yes, you can substitute vegetable oil with olive oil or melted butter for a different flavor.

3. How long does it take to make Oyster Cracker Snack Mix?

The total time to make Oyster Cracker Snack Mix is about 10 minutes. However, the mix will need to bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

4. Can I add other ingredients to the snack mix?

Yes, you can add other ingredients such as pretzels, nuts, or cereal to the snack mix for added flavor and texture.

5. How should I store the Oyster Cracker Snack Mix?

The snack mix can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze the mix for longer storage, just make sure to thaw it before serving.