Solve Propeller Problem: Average & Instantaneous Power Output

• Thread starter Kenchin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propeller
In summary, the airplane propeller, with a length of 2.08 m and a mass of 117 kg, is started with a constant torque of 1590 Nm. To find the average power output during the first 5 revolutions, use the formula P = torque x angular velocity. For the instantaneous power output at the instant the propeller has turned through 5 revolutions, use P = torque x angular acceleration x time, and solve for time with the given values of angular acceleration and torque. By assuming that the resistance to motion is only the moment of inertia of the propeller, you can find the time in terms of angle and torque.
Kenchin
An airplane propeller is 2.08 m in length (from tip to tip) and has a mass of 117 kg. When the airplane's engine is first started, it applies a constant torque of 1590Nm to the propeller, which starts from rest.

Question I:
What is the average power output of the engine during the first 5.00 rev?

Question II:
What is the instantaneous power output of the motor at the instant that the propeller has turned through 5.00 rev?

I've already solved for the angular accelleration (after 5 revolutions) which is alpha, angular speed omega (after 5 revolutions), and work after 5 revolutions W, moment of inertia 42.18kg*m^2.

For the last two parts I've tried to solve using P=torque+angular velocity ... that turned out to be wrong. Then I tried using P=Change in work/change in time but that failed. So now I'm a little at a loss. Is there any suggestions where to try next?:cool:

I figured it out, my methods were correct... my ending units were wrong! @_@

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kenchin said:
An airplane propeller is 2.08 m in length (from tip to tip) and has a mass of 117 kg. When the airplane's engine is first started, it applies a constant torque of 1590Nm to the propeller, which starts from rest.

Question I:
What is the average power output of the engine during the first 5.00 rev?

Question II:
What is the instantaneous power output of the motor at the instant that the propeller has turned through 5.00 rev?I've already solved for the angular accelleration (after 5 revolutions) which is alpha, angular speed omega (after 5 revolutions), and work after 5 revolutions W, moment of inertia 42.18kg*m^2.

For the last two parts I've tried to solve using P=torque+angular velocity ... that turned out to be wrong. Then I tried using P=Change in work/change in time but that failed. So now I'm a little at a loss. Is there any suggestions where to try next?:cool:

I figured it out, my methods were correct... my ending units were wrong! @_@
Energy is torque x angle (force x distance).

[tex]\tau\Delta\theta = \text{Work}[/tex]

So [tex]P_{avg} = \Delta E/\Delta t = \tau\Delta\theta/\Delta t[/tex]

All you have to do is figure out how long it takes to move the propeller 5 revolutions with that torque: Use [itex]\theta = \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = \tau/I[/itex] to find the time in terms of angle and torque (and I).

To find instantaneous power, use:

[tex]P = \tau\omega = \tau\alpha\Delta t[/tex]

You have to assume that in the first 5 revolutions, the resistance to motion is only the moment of inertia of the propeller, not the propulsion of air by the propeller.

AM

Based on the given information, the average power output of the engine during the first 5.00 revolutions of the propeller can be calculated using the formula P = τω, where τ is the applied torque and ω is the angular velocity. We can first calculate the angular acceleration (α) using the formula α = τ/I, where I is the moment of inertia of the propeller. In this case, I = 42.18 kg*m^2. After solving for α, we can use the formula ω = ω0 + αt to find the angular velocity after 5 revolutions. ω0 is the initial angular velocity, which is 0 since the propeller starts from rest. We can then substitute the values into P = τω and solve for the average power output.

For the second question, the instantaneous power output of the motor at the instant that the propeller has turned through 5.00 revolutions can be calculated using the formula P = dW/dt, where W is the work done by the engine on the propeller. We can first calculate the work done after 5 revolutions using the formula W = τθ, where θ is the angle through which the propeller has turned (5 revolutions = 10π radians). Then, we can take the derivative of W with respect to time (t) to find the instantaneous power output. Keep in mind that the units for power are watts (W), which can be converted from Nm/s or J/s.

It seems like you were on the right track with your methods, but the units may have been incorrect. It's always a good idea to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the propeller problem and why is it important to solve?

The propeller problem refers to the challenge of determining the average and instantaneous power output of a propeller. This is important because it allows us to understand and optimize the performance of propellers, which are critical components in various machines and vehicles such as airplanes, ships, and wind turbines.

2. How is average power output calculated for a propeller?

Average power output is calculated by multiplying the torque applied to the propeller by its rotational speed. Mathematically, this can be represented by the equation P = T * ω, where P is power, T is torque, and ω is rotational speed.

3. What factors affect the instantaneous power output of a propeller?

The instantaneous power output of a propeller is affected by several factors, including the angle of attack, air density, propeller diameter, and rotational speed. Additionally, the design and shape of the propeller can also impact its instantaneous power output.

4. How do scientists and engineers solve the propeller problem?

Scientists and engineers use various methods and techniques to solve the propeller problem, such as theoretical calculations, computational simulations, and experimental testing. These approaches help them analyze and understand the complex fluid dynamics involved in propeller operation.

5. Why is it important to consider both average and instantaneous power output of a propeller?

Considering both average and instantaneous power output is crucial because they provide different insights into the performance of a propeller. Average power output gives an overall measure of the propeller's efficiency, while instantaneous power output allows us to understand its dynamic behavior and potential for power fluctuations.