What does the big F stand for?

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
In summary, the big F in equations like f(x)-sinb=F(a)-F(b) typically refers to the antiderivative of a function, which is denoted by an uppercase letter to differentiate it from the function itself. This is a convention and not a strict rule in mathematics. Other definitions of F(x) may exist, but in this context, it is used to represent the antiderivative.
Line
What does the big F stand for in equations like

f(x)-sinb=F(a)-F(b) ??

It's not like the little f in function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically, textbooks discussing the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
refer to F(x) ("big F") as the antiderivative of f(x) ("little f").

*This link might help :smile:

Last edited:
"f(x)-sinb=F(a)-F(b)" makes no sense. Are you sure it wasn't something like [itex]\int_b^a f(x)dx= F(a)- F(b)[/itex]?

SO a capital F means the antiderivative of a function?

By convention, if we use a lower-case letter to denote a function, we use an upper-case letter to denote its anti-derivative.

It's not something you have to do -- it's just something that people usually do because everyone else does it and it's convenient.

according to some bumper stickers i have seen, it stands for the president.

Last edited:
With "_ _ _" after it?

I've seen this used as follows
f(x)=x^2
g(x)=x/2
F(x)=f(x)/(g(x)

Other than that, doesn't ring a bell.

EDIT: What math class did you see this in?

Did you mean to type anything else? I didn't see a closed parenthesis. If it is indeed so, then the F(x) you saw does not refer to any antiderivative, but simply f(x) / g(x). As Hurkyl said below, the antiderivative notation is simply convention, and not a strict rule of mathematics.

moose said:
I've seen this used as follows
f(x)=x^2
g(x)=x/2
F(x)=f(x)/g(x)

Other than that, doesn't ring a bell.

EDIT: What math class did you see this in?

That is simply defining F(x) to be f(x)/g(x)- making it clear that the convention "F(x) is an anti-derivative of f(x)" is not being used!

Actually, I hereby declare that the following definition of F(x) is unique and unviolable:
[tex]F(x)=\frac{\pi}{1+\frac{\pi}{1+\frac{x}{e+\pi}}}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What does the big F stand for?

The big F can have different meanings depending on the context. In science, it often stands for force or energy, but it can also stand for other variables such as frequency or flux.

2. Is the big F a universal symbol in science?

No, the big F is not a universal symbol in science. It is commonly used in physics and engineering, but other fields may use different symbols for the same variables.

3. Why is the big F used to represent force?

The big F is used to represent force because it is the first letter in the word "force". This convention helps scientists and engineers easily recognize and understand equations and formulas.

4. Can the big F be used to represent anything else?

Yes, the big F can be used to represent other variables in science such as frequency, flux, or focal length. It is important to always check the context in which the big F is being used to determine its meaning.

5. Are there any other commonly used symbols for force?

Yes, there are other commonly used symbols for force such as Fnet for net force and Fg for force due to gravity. These symbols may be used in specific equations or situations where it is necessary to differentiate between different types of forces.