Complex Analysis question

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice test question related to the Maximum Modulus Principle. The first part involves proving that the coefficients of a polynomial are less than or equal to the maximum value of the polynomial on the unit circle. The second part involves determining the order of the zero at infinity for a rational function. The conversation also includes some suggestions for solving the problem.
podboy6
So my professor threw in what he called an extra 'hard' question for a practice test. So naturally I have a question about it. It relates to the Maximum Modulus Principle:

a) Let [tex]p(z) = a_0 + a_1 z + a_2 z^2 + ...[/tex]
and let M = max |p(z)| on |z|=1.
Show that [tex]|a_i|< M[/tex] for [tex]i = 0,1,2. [/tex]

b) What is the order of the zero at infinity if f(z) is a rational function of the form

[tex]f(z) = \frac {p(z)}{q(z)}[/tex]

where both p(z) and q(z) are both polynomials and [tex] deg(p) < deg(q). [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
podboy6 said:
a) Let [tex]p(z) = a_0 + a_1 z + a_2 z^2 + ...[/tex]
and let M = max |p(z)| on |z|=1.
Show that [tex]|a_i|< M[/tex] for [tex]i = 0,1,2. [/tex]
As you have it, that's not necessarily true.
Consider:
[tex]p(z) \equiv 0[/tex]
That is, the polynomial is constant zero.
Then [tex]M=0[/tex],but
[tex]a_i = M = 0 [/tex] which contradicts [tex]|a_i|<M[/tex]

okay, it should be [tex]|a_i|[/tex] is less than or equal to M for [tex]i=0,1,2.[/tex]

So, have you tried anything?

Well, for the first part, given that |p(z)| [tex]\leq[/tex]|M| for |z|=1,
and with:
p(0)=[tex]a_0[/tex]
p'(0)=[tex]a_1[/tex]
p''(0)=[tex]2a_2[/tex],

then in general,

[tex]|p^k (0)| \geq \frac{k!}{2\pi i} \int_{|z|=1} \frac{f(z)}{z^(k+1)} dz \Rightarrow \frac{k!}{2\pi i} \int_{0}^{2\pi} f( e^(it) ) dt \leq k!M[/tex].

thats about as far for that one. the other one is

[tex]\frac{p(z)}{q(z)} = \frac{a_0 + a_1 z +...+a_k z^k}{b_0 + b_1 z +...+b_l z^l}[/tex] for some l>k. After that, I'm still working.

Last edited:
a) check your inequalities a little more carefeully, specifically comparing the derivatives at 0 to the integral.

b) What is the order of the zero of f(1/z) at z=0?

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the application of calculus and algebra to complex numbers in order to analyze their properties and behavior.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1. These numbers are essential in complex analysis as they allow for the representation of both real and imaginary quantities.

3. What is the importance of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps in solving differential equations, understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, and analyzing fluid flow, among others.

4. What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex functions, analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, and contour integration. These concepts are used to study the properties and behavior of functions of complex numbers.

5. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis differs from real analysis in that it deals with functions of complex numbers instead of real numbers. This means that the rules and properties of complex numbers, such as the existence of complex roots, must be taken into account. Additionally, complex analysis has its own unique theorems and techniques for solving problems.