Do continuous functions preserve open intervals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an easier function that provides counterexamples for the statement "if D is closed, then f(D) is closed", using various examples such as D = (0, 1) and f(x) = 5. The conversation also explores the use of different intervals, such as D = N and f(x) = 1/x, and the concept of open and closed sets. Finally, a counterexample is found using the function f(x) = (x*sin(x))+x+(1/x) with the interval D = [1, infinity), showing that if D is an interval that is not open, then f(D) is an interval that is not open.
buddyholly9999
Let [tex]f: D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be continuous.

Is there an easier function that counterexamples;
if D is closed, then f(D) is closed
than D={2n pi + 1/n: n in N}, f(x)=sin(x) ?

Plus, these counterexamples are all the same with the domain changed, just correct me if I'm wrong.

If D is not closed, then f(D) is not closed.
CE: D = (0, 1) and f(x) = 5
If D is not compact, then f(D) is not compact.
CE: We use same CE as above
If D is infinite, then f(D) is infinite.
CE: D = all real numbers and f(x) = 5
If D is an interval, then f(D) is an interval
CE: Use same CE as first

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"If D is not closed, then f(D) is not closed.
CE: D = (0, 1) and f(x) = 5"

Why is D = (0,1) not closed? I think you mean more like
CE: D = N, and f(x) = 5

?

[tex]D \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/tex]

an open set is one that doesn't contain it's bounds. The closure of (0, 1) is [0, 1]...umm...i'm not sure what to say...(0, 1) is an open set.

Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood the notation. I thought you were saying that the domain of the function was all the numbers between 0 and 1.

that's exactly what i meant...am i misunderstanding something?

(0, 1) is indeed (extremely) standard notation for the set {x; 0 < x < 1}, which is not closed.

Is there an easier function that counterexamples;
if D is closed, then f(D) is closed
than D={2n pi + 1/n: n in N}, f(x)=sin(x) ?

What about D = the natural numbers and f(x) = 1/x?

If D is an interval, then f(D) is an interval
CE: Use same CE as first

But f(D) = {5} = [5, 5]. The intermediate value theorem garantuees that you can't find a counterexample.

Last edited:
the continuous image of a compacts et is always compact, so you must use a closed set that is not bounded. say x-->1/[1+x^2] applied to the (closed) real line.

or the exponential function applied to the real line. or arctan applied to the real line.

etc...

Muzza said:
But f(D) = {5} = [5, 5]. The intermediate value theorem garantuees that you can't find a counterexample.

Oh yeah...haha..I typed that one up wrong. It was supposed to be "if D is an interval that is not open, then f(D) is an interval that is not open"

my bad...

buddyholly9999 said:
Oh yeah...haha..I typed that one up wrong. It was supposed to be "if D is an interval that is not open, then f(D) is an interval that is not open"

my bad...
how about D = (0, 1] and f(x) = (sin(1/x))/x

nocturnal said:
how about D = (0, 1] and f(x) = (sin(1/x))/x

That function would have f(D)=(-infinity,infinity) or, in other words, the reals. This interval is both open and closed so it is not a counterexample.

I got it!

This is for: if D is an interval that is not open, then f(D) is an interval that is not open.

Take f:D->Reals

f(x)=(x*sin(x))+x+(1/x)

D=[1,infinity) which is not open

f(D)=(0,infinity) which is open

Woot! Woot!

Patrick
South Dakota State University - Real Analysis I

Last edited:

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function in which small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, the graph of a continuous function has no abrupt breaks or gaps.

How is continuity defined for a function?

A function is considered continuous if it satisfies the definition of continuity, which states that for every value of x, the limit of the function as x approaches that value must be equal to the value of the function at that point.

What is the importance of continuous functions in mathematics?

Continuous functions are essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and topology. They allow us to model real-world phenomena and make predictions based on mathematical principles.

Can a function be continuous at some points and discontinuous at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and discontinuous at others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function, where the function is continuous on each piece or segment of its domain, but there may be a break or jump between those segments.

What are some real-world examples of continuous functions?

Some examples of continuous functions in real life include temperature over time, distance traveled over time, and the height of a falling object over time. In each of these cases, small changes in the input (time) result in small changes in the output (temperature, distance, or height).