What is "First Principle" & How to Deduce from It?

• Thread starter Azael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, "first principle" refers to the concept of deducing something from the most fundamental hypothesis or axioms, without relying on prior knowledge or assumptions. It is also known as "ab initio" and is often used in scientific and mathematical contexts. This approach is contrasted with "phenomenology", which involves deriving an expression based on observations or data. An example of a first principle derivation is the BCS theory in superconductivity, while the London equation would be considered phenomenology.
Azael
I often se mention of first principle.
Deriver something from first principle ect.

But what on Earth does that mean:confused: I don't know if it maby we don't use any equvivalent to first principle in the swedish language or if I just happen to have missed it so far during my education. But I haven't figured out what it means.:grumpy:

to deduce something from first principle. Does it mean something like deducing something only by using the most fundamental hypothesis or axioms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Azael said:
I often se mention of first principle.
Deriver something from first principle ect.

But what on Earth does that mean:confused: I don't know if it maby we don't use any equvivalent to first principle in the swedish language or if I just happen to have missed it so far during my education. But I haven't figured out what it means.:grumpy:

to deduce something from first principle. Does it mean something like deducing something only by using the most fundamental hypothesis or axioms?

It is sometime also called ab initio. What it means is that you start off from the most fundamental form for the derivation, as opposed to coming up with an expression via phenomenology. For example, if you can derive a phenomena starting from the Hamiltonian, then that would be a First Principle derivation.

In superconductivity, for example, the London equation would be an example of phenomenology, while the BCS theory would be something from First Principle.

Zz.

I can understand your confusion about the concept of "first principle." It is not a commonly used term in everyday language, and it may not have an exact equivalent in Swedish. However, in the scientific community, it is a fundamental concept that is used to understand and explain the world around us.

First principle, also known as a basic principle or fundamental principle, refers to the most basic and essential element or assumption from which all other concepts or ideas are derived. In other words, it is the building block or foundation upon which all other knowledge is based.

In scientific research, first principles are used to understand and explain complex phenomena by breaking them down into simpler, more fundamental concepts. This approach is often used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics, where complex theories and models are built upon a few basic principles.

To deduce something from first principle means to derive or infer a conclusion or explanation using only the most fundamental assumptions or axioms. This approach is based on logical reasoning and critical thinking, rather than relying on assumptions or beliefs.

In summary, first principle is a fundamental concept in science that is used to understand and explain the world around us. It involves breaking down complex ideas into simpler, more fundamental concepts and using logical reasoning to deduce conclusions. I hope this helps clarify the meaning of "first principle" for you.

What is "First Principle"?

The first principle is a basic, foundational concept or assumption that is used to build a logical argument or theory. It is often considered the most fundamental or essential idea in a particular field of study or problem-solving approach.

How is "First Principle" used in scientific research?

In scientific research, first principles are used to establish a solid foundation for understanding and explaining natural phenomena. They provide a starting point for building hypotheses, conducting experiments, and making predictions. By breaking down complex systems or ideas into their most basic components, scientists can better understand and study them.

Can "First Principle" be applied in different fields of study?

Yes, the concept of first principles can be applied in various fields of study, including physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, and philosophy. It is a universal approach to problem-solving and critical thinking, and can be used in any discipline that requires logical reasoning and analysis.

What is the process of deducing from "First Principle"?

The process of deducing from first principles involves breaking down a complex problem or concept into its most basic components, then logically deriving conclusions from those foundational principles. This process requires critical thinking, creativity, and a thorough understanding of the first principles involved.

Why is understanding "First Principle" important in scientific research?

Understanding first principles is crucial in scientific research because it allows scientists to question existing knowledge and theories, and to develop new ideas and solutions. By starting from the most basic and fundamental concepts, scientists can build a strong foundation for their work and make significant advancements in their field of study.