Purdue vs. Illinois-Urbana Champaign

• Thread starter m1mabry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Purdue
In summary: Illinois go through the same process?There is no "try out" period for engineering majors at Illinois. You are guaranteed a spot in the major of your choice if you apply and are accepted.
m1mabry
Hi.

I am very interested in pursueing a career in Engineering. I have applied to Illinois and Purdue and gotten into each. As of Recently, my father has been very pro-purdue, which isn't a bad thing, just strange considering the fact that he has generally been most endeared to tangible items, and It would normally seem like the higher-ranked Illionois would be the obvious choice for him.

Recently, my father has brought up the idea of the type and number of job offers someone from each school would expect to recieve. He said that there would be more job offers from Purdue, because they are more wll known. Is this true? My father makes it seem like Illionois is a virtual unknown in the engineering world, but I must ask myself, could that be possible with a overall ranking of #4 in the country?

I got accepted to both colleges in Aerospace Engineering, but think I would like to check out Chemical Engineering (i love Chemistry). So a major decision would be which school has a better (not just based upon ranking, though) Chemical Engineering program.

I love the Purdue campus, but at the same time it does seem a little urban, I have yet to see the Illinois campus first hand, but have seen picture of its "lawn" in front of a giant building and think it is awesome. Based on some of the pictures I've seen Illionois looks like the place (asthetically) for me! But I want to know more about the rest of the campus.

Finally, Pudue seems to be very Engineering engineered (for lack of a better word) and very concerned about getting the student through the program, is it the same way at Illinois, or is it simply a "every man for themselves" attitude? A lot of Purdue's funding seems to go to Engineering because they are primarily an engineering school (as far as the public eye goes), but does Illinois go through the same process?

Sorry there are so many questions, I'm just very interested in making the right decision as far a where I go to college. It is very hard for me to choose between these two great institutions. Also anything about partying at these schools is not that big of a deal, because I understand it is somewhat part of the college experience.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Illnois has an excellent CS faculty...they are the creators of some parallel programming.. .ie CHARM++ ...search NAMD
they do a lot of HPC computing.

Thanks for that info. It's good to know that some of the faculty at Illinois is good, but I guess I kind of expected that.

I have one more question, though.

At Purdue they have the first year engineering course where the student gets to "try out" all of the other engineering majors before making their decision to stick with one major over the other. Is there anything like that in place in Illinois? If not, how do you know that the engineering program chosen is the right one for you?

I'm pretty set on becoming a Chemical engineer, so I'm not really sure if this feature does anything for me, but still its a plus.

Thanks

Several general comments. I'm in physics, not engineering, so take them for what they're worth.

I really don't think you need to worry about reputation of one versus the other. Both have outstanding reputations as engineering schools, and both are heavily recruited from. At Illinois, for example, there are four separate engineering-specific career fairs each year, each with over a hundred companies recruiting, and several hundred more recruit through Engineering Career Services. Finding a job should not be a concern; if you're really interested, you can probably email or call them and ask for statistics (how many have jobs within 6 months of graduation, etc.)

To give one worthless anecdote, I did my undergrad at another school that's very highly ranked in engineering, and I heard references to Illinois almost as much as to Stanford, Berkeley, etc. (though I generally ran with CS/ECE people).

m1mabry said:
I love the Purdue campus, but at the same time it does seem a little urban, I have yet to see the Illinois campus first hand, but have seen picture of its "lawn" in front of a giant building and think it is awesome. Based on some of the pictures I've seen Illionois looks like the place (asthetically) for me! But I want to know more about the rest of the campus.

Illinois's campus is what one would generally think of as a university campus--mostly arranged around a few large quads. It's reasonably attractive. As an engineer you'd spend most of your time "north of Green", as they say, so you wouldn't be on that particular "lawn" much. :smile:

A lot of Purdue's funding seems to go to Engineering because they are primarily an engineering school (as far as the public eye goes), but does Illinois go through the same process?

Not sure what you mean by "the same process", but engineering is a very prominent part of Illinois, and of course they're rolling in money like any comparable program. Remember that most funding in technical fields comes from outside sources, so it wouldn't matter much if the university ignored them entirely. As it is, they always seem to be building something over on the engineering quad.

Wow. Thanks Philbin, that did really help. I guess it does kind of come down to a visit to the two and see which one gives me a better feeling.

But I still wonder about the presence of a first year engineering program like at engineering. Does anyone know if Illinois has anything like this?

m1mabry said:
But I still wonder about the presence of a first year engineering program like at engineering. Does anyone know if Illinois has anything like this?

See http://www.engr.uiuc.edu/students/prospective/" ("Curriculum for..." at top and "Undergraduate Programs..." at bottom). Looks like there's no such thing.

But yeah, you really should visit both and see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minoring in Physics

I'm thinking about minoring in physics in college and also majoring in engineering. My question is, which school, Purdue or Illinois, has the better science program? again, I'm most interested in Physics/chemistry.

What are the similarities between Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign?

Both Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign are public research universities located in the midwestern United States. They both have a strong focus on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields and offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. They are also both members of the prestigious Big Ten Conference in athletics.

What are the main differences between Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign?

One of the main differences between Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign is their location. Purdue is located in West Lafayette, Indiana while Illinois-Urbana Champaign is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, Illinois. Another difference is their academic strengths - Purdue is known for its strong programs in engineering and agriculture, while Illinois-Urbana Champaign is known for its programs in computer science and business.

Which university has a better academic reputation?

Both Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign have strong academic reputations, but it ultimately depends on the specific program or field of study. For example, Purdue is consistently ranked highly for its engineering programs, while Illinois-Urbana Champaign is known for its strong computer science and business programs. It is best to research and compare the specific programs you are interested in to determine which university may have a better academic reputation for your chosen field.

What is the student life like at Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign?

Both universities have a vibrant student life, with a variety of clubs, organizations, and events to get involved in. Purdue has a larger undergraduate population, while Illinois-Urbana Champaign has a larger graduate population. Both universities also have a diverse student body, with students from all over the world. It is recommended to visit the campuses and speak with current students to get a better sense of the student life at each university.

Which university has a better job placement rate for graduates?

Both Purdue and Illinois-Urbana Champaign have strong job placement rates for their graduates. According to the latest data from both universities, Purdue has a slightly higher overall employment rate for graduates, while Illinois-Urbana Champaign has a higher starting salary for graduates. However, this may vary depending on the specific program or field of study, so it is important to research and compare the job placement rates for your chosen program at each university.