Finding the Sum of Series: 1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2...

• Thread starter shintashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for finding the total sum of squared integers from 1 to n. The formula is known to Archimedes and is (1/6)[n(n+1)(2n+1)]. The conversation also mentions using Gauss's formula to solve the equation. It is suggested to use a pyramid model to understand the formula better. The book's equation, which is (1/6)n(n+2)(2n+1), is found to be flawed and incorrect.
shintashi
I was reading book on numbers and it had an equation for

1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2...

but I worked out the equation several times with different integers and they didn't appear to work at all. Does anyone know the equation for finding the total sum if the base sum (such as 5 above) is known?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
huh? the sum of the squares of the integers from 1 to n is well known (say to archimedes) to be (1/6)[n(n+1)(2n+1)].

e.g. if n=1 we get 1,

if n = 2 we get (1/6)(2+3+5] = 5 = 1^2 + 2^2.

if n = 3 we get (1`/6)[3(4)(7)] = 14 = 1^2 + 2^2+ 3^2.

if n=4, we get 30 = (1/6)[4(5)9].

im not sure i understood your base sum remark, but since this is a cubic formula it is determined by the lagrange interpolation method, by the above results for n=1,2,3,4.

i.e. there is only one cubic polynomial that comes out 1,5,14,30, when we plug in 1,2,3,4.

namely 1[(x-2)(x-3)(x-4)/(1-2)(1-3)(1-4)] + 5[(x-1)(x-3)(x-4)/(2-1)(2-3)(2-4)] + ... you get it...

Last edited:
As mathwonk already said, the sum of the squares of the integers from 1 to n is [tex]\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex].

Thats all you want to know, if you want to get confused, read forward :

When n is infinity, the sum is actually zero :D Look up the Riemann zeta function if your interested.

Hi shintashi,

write down here what formula is given in your book, maybe
the formula in the book is wrong.

As you indicated in your title "square pyramid", you can indeed
derive the formula for the sum of the square numbers from 1 to n
by considering the problem in a geometric view.

1 + 4 + 9 can be interpreted as a pyramid made up of
square layers:
9-layer at the bottom
4-layer in the middle
1-layer at the top

Have a look at here: http://www.sciface.com/education/data/web/SummeDerQuadrate_images/plt1.png

Look at the section Sum of the first n squares of Natural Numbers S[Q] http://www.mav.vic.edu.au/PSTC/cc/pyramids.htm .

Look at the bottom of the website http://did.mat.uni-bayreuth.de/geonet/beispiele/kugel3/scheib6.html.

As an exercise try to figure out the formula by using the the pyramid picture.
Hint: Start by asking yourself how many times the 1-layer fits into the pyramid.
If you substract the 1-layer from all the other layers, what is left?

You will need Gauss's formula:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} k = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you much ^^

mathwonk said:
huh? the sum of the squares of the integers from 1 to n is well known (say to archimedes) to be (1/6)[n(n+1)(2n+1)].

e.g. if n=1 we get 1,

if n = 2 we get (1/6)(2+3+5] = 5 = 1^2 + 2^2.

if n = 3 we get (1`/6)[3(4)(7)] = 14 = 1^2 + 2^2+ 3^2.

if n=4, we get 30 = (1/6)[4(5)9].

im not sure i understood your base sum remark, but since this is a cubic formula it is determined by the lagrange interpolation method, by the above results for n=1,2,3,4.

i.e. there is only one cubic polynomial that comes out 1,5,14,30, when we plug in 1,2,3,4.

namely 1[(x-2)(x-3)(x-4)/(1-2)(1-3)(1-4)] + 5[(x-1)(x-3)(x-4)/(2-1)(2-3)(2-4)] + ... you get it...

(1/6)[7(7+1)(14+1)] =

7x8x15 = 140.

(1/6)[n(n+1)(2n+1)].

the book said:
1/6n(n+2)(2n+1)

as you can clearly see, the equation (page 127 of kingdom of infinite number) is flawed, perhaps a typo, but changing n+1 to n+2 screwed up all the results I got from it and was obviously wrong.

What is the sum of the series 1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2+5^2...?

The sum of this series is 55. This can be calculated by using the formula for the sum of squares of consecutive integers, which is n(n+1)(2n+1)/6, where n is the number of terms in the series.

What is the pattern in this series?

The pattern in this series is that each term is the square of the consecutive positive integers, starting with 1. So, the first term is 1^2, the second term is 2^2, the third term is 3^2, and so on.

How can I find the sum of a larger series?

You can use the same formula mentioned earlier, n(n+1)(2n+1)/6, where n is the number of terms in the series. Simply plug in the number of terms and solve for the sum.

Is there a shortcut to finding the sum of this series?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the Faulhaber's formula, which can be used to find the sum of any series of the form n^k, where n is the consecutive integers and k is a positive integer. This formula is quite complex and is usually used for larger series.

What is the significance of this series in mathematics?

This series is significant in mathematics as it is a well-known example of a series that can be summed using Faulhaber's formula. It also shows the relationship between the sum of squares and the sum of consecutive integers, which is used in many mathematical proofs and applications.